NC to MT suggestions - Mid Sept to Mid Oct - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
NC to MT suggestions - Mid Sept to Mid Oct

Before retiring, I travelled to Montana and surrounding states on business but never spent any 'down' time in that part of the country so we're heading that way in mid to late September for three weeks or so.

I've penciled in Custer State Park in SD (Buffalo roundup sounds interesting) and Glacier National Park as a couple of points of interest but nothing is firm. We're public land campers and enjoy moderate hikes and possibly an overnight backpack. Any suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
I don't have anything to add never having been to that area, but we've penciled in Big Pine campground in Custer as a must go place if we ever do get to retire and start traveling. It gets great reviews, and is close to everything it sounds like.

Big Pine Campground - Custer, SD - RV Park Reviews
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #3

Name: Marianne
Trailer: Scamp 13
Montana
a few thoughts

Hi -- I live in Missoula, MT and you are planning to visit at a time when we can be having a gorgeous 'Indian summer.' But you will want to be aware that we can also have snow in the mountains, and that hunting season will be underway. The Rocky Mountain Front area just south of Glacier has some fabulous campsites. Glacier is one of my favorite places -- but depending on the length of your rig you won't be able to go over Going To The Sun road because of the 21 ft length limit. I love the east side of the Park -- Two Medicine and Many Glacier have great hikes out of campgrounds. And you could make a loop and visit Yellowstone too if you haven't been there. Hope this is helpful and don't hesitate to ask for more specifics.
Marianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
South Dakota
Stop in the Badlands of SD, you can camp for free in the Sage Creek Camp ground on Sage Creek RD just outside the Badlands National Park. It is primitive, but you might get to see Bison up close as they frequently roam through the campground. Lots of hiking trails there and the Badlands Loop is spectacular. My opinion is the buffalo roundup is over rated. BTDT and I doubt I'd do it again as I don't like that big of crowds. You have to be there by 6am to avoid some of the crowds and the traffic is backed up for miles, it takes them forever to get going as they wait for the governor to show up. Most of them are riding in truck, or atv's not horses to herd the buffalo and they they claim thousands, seemed like a couple of hundred funneled through a small fence. They don't herd the bulls as they are too dangerous.After Labor Day many of the state campgrounds are free, Hanna Campground by Cheyenne Crossing has been in the past and is right near Spearfish Canyon a very scenic drive. Stop at Cheyenne Crossing for Indian Tacos and if you get to Hill City visit the 1880 Steam Train and stop at The Alpine INN for dinner. Don't forget Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood and Lead. Check out Latch string Falls and Cement Ridge, there are a couple of campgrounds there and you can camp most anywhere in the National Forest for free and there are many access points to the Mickelson Trail also see this Hiking & Backpacking | Black Hills & Badlands - South Dakota
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Marianne, if your towing a trailer and it is 13' & your car is 18'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
Hi -- I live in Missoula, MT and you are planning to visit at a time when we can be having a gorgeous 'Indian summer.' But you will want to be aware that we can also have snow in the mountains, and that hunting season will be underway. The Rocky Mountain Front area just south of Glacier has some fabulous campsites. Glacier is one of my favorite places -- but depending on the length of your rig you won't be able to go over Going To The Sun road because of the 21 ft length limit. I love the east side of the Park -- Two Medicine and Many Glacier have great hikes out of campgrounds. And you could make a loop and visit Yellowstone too if you haven't been there. Hope this is helpful and don't hesitate to ask for more specifics.
: and it articulates in the middle that should be easy to go around the corners without a problem, I took my 21' MH in there a while back and I cannot see where towing would be a problem if one stays small enough and the hitch allows the bends one needs???
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have stayed at the KOA in the Badlands, try to be there when the moon is full. Spearfish is an interesting town, stayed at the KOA there as well as in Deadwood, SD where there is a show in the evening.. Stop to see Devils Tower right across the border into Wyoming, both Buffalo and Cody are nice little towns, Chief Joseph scenic byway and Beartooth Highway are both sights not to miss driving upon.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
Ria

Name: Ria
Trailer: Looking to buy soon
North Dakota
Absolutely do not miss Yellowstone! We have gone in early October and had beautiful weather and no crowds. There will still be the occasional bugling elk and the bears will still be out feeding before hibernation. Also drop down to Grand Teton NP, it is very beautiful at that time of year and there will be lots of moose out and about.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita 16SD
Florida
I was born and raised in SD and still make an annual trek there in Aug/Sept every year to visit family and friends. All the previous suggestions are worthy of a visit. On your way there try to stay off the interstate as much as you can once you are west of the Mississippi. In particular, get off I-29 as you cross into NB and take Hwy 2 at the Nebraska City exit and follow 2 through Lincoln. Then take I-80 till you get to Grand Island there you can continue to follow Hwy 2 through the Nebraska Sand Hills. Just past the town of Broken Bow and a few miles off of 2 you can stay at Victoria Springs SP. Water and Electric and nice bath house and dump station. One of the smallest quietest SP you'll ever find. From there you can continue on 2 to US Hwy 83 that will take you north to Valentine, NB and into SD. I may be biased but it is, in my mind one of the best drives in the country. If you are headed through the Badlands, which I highly recommend, take 83 North to the little town of White River, SD (my home town) and then take SD44 west. It will take you right thro ugh the Badlands NP and come out in Rapid City and the Black Hills. If you, or anyone else, would like some suggestions on where to eat and what to see or do send me a PM and I'll share some of my favorites. Have a great trip.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #9

Name: Marianne
Trailer: Scamp 13
Montana
My 13 ft Scamp and Toyota truck is longer than the posted limit, so I've never tried it. I leave the Scamp in the campground and cruise in the truck. Going-to-the-Sun is very narrow, winding, with rock cliff on one side and a steep drop off the other.
Marianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is a little town near the Badlands- Interior, SD where you can get genuine indian tacos....uuumm good.
I'll have to try that route through NE.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Thanks so much to all who've responded, you folks are great.

It looks like three weeks will only give us enough time to scratch the surface there but that's OK too. I've found once we visit an area and become somewhat familiar with it, the return trips are even better.

Safe and happy travels to all.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #12

Name: Jim & Kathy
Trailer: Escape
Northern Colorado
We love SD and Custer SP is one of our favorites. We stayed at Grace Coolidge CG (closes Sept 30).

Unfortunately we have to agree that the buffalo roundup is over rated...must get there very early in order to avoid traffic and crowds, then wait for hours to see some buffalo.

Another must see is Jewel Cave National Monument. Beware the crowds though. Best advice is get there really early or go during non peak travel months.

[QUOTE=Stubbs;602549]Stop in the Badlands of SD, you can camp for free in the Sage Creek Camp ground on Sage Creek RD just outside the Badlands National Park. It is primitive, but you might get to see Bison up close as they frequently roam through the campground. Lots of hiking trails there and the Badlands Loop is spectacular. My opinion is the buffalo roundup is over rated. BTDT and I doubt I'd do it again as I don't like that big of crowds. You have to be there by 6am to avoid some of the crowds and the traffic is backed up for miles, it takes them forever to get going as they wait for the governor to show up. Most of them are riding in truck, or atv's not horses to herd the buffalo and they they claim thousands, seemed like a couple of hundred funneled through a small fence. They don't herd the bulls as they are too dangerous.