Need a Plan B for trip to Florida late October - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Need a Plan B for trip to Florida late October

Picking up our new 13' scamp around October 20th and heading down to Florida for 2 weeks then back to Colorado.

I had reservations set for the Ginnie Springs the first week and Topsail the second week.

I thought we would be ok being up so far but Irma caused the santa fe river to swell and flooded Ginnie springs. The picture was taken 3 days ago after the water had dropped 3 - 4 ft already. It sounds like they are trying to reopen by the end of the month so all might be well by the time we get down there a month later....... However I need to have a backup plan.

The plan was to Scuba dive the springs in northern Florida around High Springs and Williston and I would like to keep with that plan for at least a few days.

Any Recommendations around that area that I should check into as a plan B?
Attached Thumbnails
ginnie springs flooded.JPG  
the_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #2

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fixer View Post

I had reservations set for the Ginnie Springs the first week and Topsail the second week.

I thought we would be ok being up so far but Irma caused the santa fe river to swell and flooded Ginnie springs. The picture was taken 3 days ago after the water had dropped 3 - 4 ft already. It sounds like they are trying to reopen by the end of the month so all might be well by the time we get down there a month later....... However I need to have a backup plan.
We plan on being there that weekend. We've been assured that the camp will be open by then. Come by and visit. (Burro 14 and Burgundy Highlander, license "SHRPSTK" with black roof cargo box), We have the west end loop reserved for our party of 30ish.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #3

Name: Grace
Trailer: Casita 16F SD
Florida
Parks Closed

My SOTF contacts shared last week that all state parks in FL are closed until further notice. So you would need to look at private parks. I camped at a small park in Cedar Key last year and loved it. It has small spots, but if you can get one on the water the view is awesome. Very nice people running it too. Sunset Isles RV Resort. 352-543-5375

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fixer View Post
Picking up our new 13' scamp around October 20th and heading down to Florida for 2 weeks then back to Colorado.

The plan was to Scuba dive the springs in northern Florida around High Springs and Williston and I would like to keep with that plan for at least a few days.

Any Recommendations around that area that I should check into as a plan B?
CountrysideGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #4

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
W We've been assured that the camp will be open by then.
https://www.facebook.com/GinnieSpringsOfficial/ as of Sept 18: "The flood water has receded about 3-4 feet over the weekend. We still are flooded, so we will be closed through Tuesday, September 26. We will re-evaluate conditions on that date. We will keep our Instagram, Facebook, and website updated with the latest."
Old 09-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
If you are interested in a campground near Cedar Key (about 9 miles away) check out Shell Mound County Park campground. A boat ramp in the park, sites are 30 amp & water, bathroom with shower. Inexpensive - $16.35 per night in 2014. Two caveats - the no see ums can be a problem, and it can be the air boat capital of Florida - they ran unmuffled engines until 11:00PM one of the nights I was there. Some Photos.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #6

Colorado
Based on your post I called topsail state park where we are staying and they said they are open and existing reservations are being honored but they are not taking any new reservations till the 23rd of September. This is allowing them to provide a place for refugees from the storm to stay.

Had me worried for a minute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountrysideGrace View Post
My SOTF contacts shared last week that all state parks in FL are closed until further notice. So you would need to look at private parks. I camped at a small park in Cedar Key last year and loved it. It has small spots, but if you can get one on the water the view is awesome. Very nice people running it too. Sunset Isles RV Resort. 352-543-5375
Old 09-21-2017, 06:44 PM   #7

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Alternative to Fl

Try Jekyll Island, Ga. The entire Island is a state park with miles and miles of beaches, great food nerby and great reates.

We are heading there in Nov. after Huntington Beach State Park in SC.

Cheers,
Bat Dude
Old 09-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Cedar Key is great if you want something quiet.

If you can divert your route somewhat, both GA and AL are full of great state parks.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:03 AM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
I would suggest you contact Rock Crusher Canyon Campground in Crystal River. You could then dive in King's Bay and maybe encounter a manatee or two. Don't miss the grouper sandwich at Crackers Restaurant, on the north side of town.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #10

Name: gone
Trailer: gone
gone
If you want to be near Williston, this is a great place to camp. Hookups. Forest. etc

Black Prong Equestrian Center
stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #11

Colorado
Oh man I still think about the Grouper sandwiches I used to get at Johns pass as a kid they were amazing YUMMM I may have to try Crackers to see how they compare.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. Looks like the water has dropped a bunch where we were planning to stay so the next week or so should give us a good idea of what we need to do.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #12

Florida
Registry
This just in. Ginnie Springs is closed because of Tropical depression "Nate". They say they may be reopened next week.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #13

Colorado
We still have our reservations so hopefully it will be open and ready for business by the time we get down there.

I know there is a large group of local scuba divers that I am in touch with arriving a few days before we get there so I will be able to get some first hand data.

Scouted our a few options and planning to figure it out on the fly....

What could go wrong, new Scamp, newbie RV owners driving half way across the country to a place that is still not open from the hurricane.

Adventure awaits
Old 10-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #14

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
O'Leno SO is where we always camp.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Canceling does not necessarily mean you won't still be able to get in there if you still want to. There will be a lot of folks who have already cancelled so it is quite likely there would be space available if the campground is open. You can call and talk to them about it if they are around to answer the phone.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote