Need help for source for road grades - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Okay, I have exhausted every resource I can think of and I have bugged enough book and map stores that I probably am banned from most of them. I am searching for a map, atlas, website anything that can give me road grades.

Currently I am planning a trip to northern Wyoming. I already have reservations for Lake Sibley National Forest Park for the first weekend in August. When I look at the road (Highway 14) from Sheridan west to Burgess Junction via Google satalliate, it is showing several switch backs. It looks very steep. I have been hearing rumors the road grade is anywhere from 10 - 14%.

This will be a family trip and the family and I are having a bunch of discussion son the best way to get to this area (which direction to come from, etc). I will be the only one pulling a Scamp. It is a 5th wheel being pulled with a 2007 Ranger 4X4 Sport 6 cyclinder. I am not anticipating having any significant issues. Others in the party are planning on bring "traditional" 5th wheels with full size trucks and then one will be an RV pulling a van. There is some concerning about the grade related to these.

Any sources for something that shows various road grades would be greatly appreciated.

Also advice from others who have traveled in this area (Big Horn Mountains around the Burgess Junction) area would appreciated.

Thanks.

Gail

Gail Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You mean like these?

Mountain Directory West

Mountain Directory East

This may also be helpful:

Motor Carriers Atlas

If I am going to be in a state for a while, I like to get one of these. Depending on the editor, grades may be marked in a table (I recall that for Colorado). Less expensive at Wally or warehouse stores.

DeLorme State Topo Atlas

Looks like you are talking about the Big Horn Scenic Byway. If so, according to this PDF:

dot.state.wy.us/FileDownload.jsp?sCode=hwysp&sDID=1853506902

"These routes traverse one of Wyoming’s famous
mountain ranges. Road grades on the Cloud Peak
Skyway and the Big Horn Scenic Byway do not
exceed 7% while the steepest grade on the Medicine
Wheel Passage is about 10%."
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Download Google Earth. I believe they give some of that info.

If Nothing else, you can rotate the image of your road and get a really good idea of the grade and make a virtual trip beforehand.

I used this feature when deciding if I should come back over the 46 (?) from Bandon to I-5 last year. I discovered from my computer "ride" that it would not be as bad as rumor had it.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #4

Pete,
You are awesome!!!!

The "Mountain Directory West" is exactly what I am looking for.

I had looked at the DeLorme State Topo Atlas but I was unable to locate specific road grades.

If the local map store will let me back in I will see if they can order a Mountain Directory West for me.

I am so excited to continue to plan my trip.

Happy Camping

Gail
Old 04-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #5

Check my post again; I was editing in more stuf while you and Gina were posting.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1990
Gail,

The Big Horns are my primary camping site as they are just east of where I live. Highway 14 and 14a do have switchbacks and do have a few sections of 10 % grades (the signs say 10-14 miles of those grades, but it clearly isn't a uniform climb). However, there is a steady stream of RVs and trailers going over the mountains all summer long, meaning lots of successful ascents and descents. The roads are good and the speeds are pretty slow. I pull my 13' Scamp up and down the steepest route (14a) with an old Isuzu Trooper with a small 4 cylinder and a manual transmission. I think the concept of the trip is more intimidating than the reality.

The primary problem I observe in others going uphill is simply overheating. Given how many units are on the road up and down, this is still not that common of an issue. Make sure you have got a well maintained cooling system. I pull my little unit up fairly slowly -- sometimes 20-25 mph in 3rd, 2nd, and sometimes in 1st gear. I keep my eye on my temperature gauge, but have never had problems. Even though this is a major route over the mountain, most drivers are very courteous and tolerant of those of us who creep up and down. There are enough pull outs to let others by if you need to.

Coming down the mountain is where I take extra care - coming down at about the same speed and in the same gears as going up. My nose tells me a lot of brakes are being cooked by folks riding them the whole way down. My Scamp does not have brakes, so I take extra care and never let speeds get too high. Most of my braking is done by the engine.

Sibley Lake is a cute little lake created when a creek was dammed. Further west in the Big Horns you'll find smaller campgrounds and much dispersed camping. The forest opens with more meadows to the west also.

Sorry for the detail, Gail, if you are an experienced mountain tower. Enjoy your time in the Big Horns and elsewhere in the west. Feel free to ask if you have more questions about the area.

John
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Quote:
Okay, I have exhausted every resource I can think of and I have bugged enough book and map stores that I probably am banned from most of them. I am searching for a map, atlas, website anything that can give me road grades.

Currently I am planning a trip to northern Wyoming. I already have reservations for Lake Sibley National Forest Park for the first weekend in August. When I look at the road (Highway 14) from Sheridan west to Burgess Junction via Google satalliate, it is showing several switch backs. It looks very steep. I have been hearing rumors the road grade is anywhere from 10 - 14%.

This will be a family trip and the family and I are having a bunch of discussion son the best way to get to this area (which direction to come from, etc). I will be the only one pulling a Scamp. It is a 5th wheel being pulled with a 2007 Ranger 4X4 Sport 6 cyclinder. I am not anticipating having any significant issues. Others in the party are planning on bring "traditional" 5th wheels with full size trucks and then one will be an RV pulling a van. There is some concerning about the grade related to these.

Any sources for something that shows various road grades would be greatly appreciated.

Also advice from others who have traveled in this area (Big Horn Mountains around the Burgess Junction) area would appreciated.

Thanks.

Gail
Gail,

It looks like other posters have given you the information. I was going to suggest contacting the Wyoming Highway Department or whatever it is called and inquiring about the specific route. I am sure they have detailed infromation.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #8

Everyone,

Thanks for all the help. Personally I am not concerned about the trip. I pretty much a wing it type traveler. My dad is the one really concerned. He has an older motorhome and had difficulties a couple of years ago with a hill in Oklahoma. Had to pull over and cool the engine. He has been trying to figure out if he thinks he can make it or not. Told him to try it and if he has problems we could always drop the motorhome and travel in my "real" camper.

Pete: Thanks for locating the brochure and finding the atlas'.I have been all over the net and had not located that brochure. Thanks.

Gina: Google Earth. WOW What a fun site. I have been having fun "driving" several routes. What a blast. I think I am addicted.

John: Yahoo, an expert on the area. Thanks so much for your information. I will be attending a family reunion at a resort called "The Passage Resort". Hoping to spend time in the area seeing anything and everything I can. It looks like a beautiful area. Probably will not want to come home but my boss has threaten to hunt me down if I don't return.

Bruce: Thanks for reminding me to try the Wyoming Highway Department again. Haven't had a lot luck with finding what I need but now that "traveling" season is here will probably try it again.

Now I just have to decide what route to take out and back from Iowa. I think planning the possibilities is as much fun as the trip.

Gail
Old 05-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp / Silver Ford 150
OK, now I know what my next trip is after we get past the May snows. Pete, thanks for posting the brochure. That's lovely country, but we haven't been there since we got the Scamp.

Barring
barring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #10

If you want something challenging, try going from Mexican Hat UT up the Moki Dugway and out to Muley Point. I have been on serious grades on gravel road in BC (see photo below) but Moki Dugway will put pucker marks on your seat covers! Or get to it from the north and then its just a bumpy ride to the point.

http://www.so-utah.com/souteast/powe.../homepage.html

Out on the point is the most beautiful place I've ever camped. Just inside the Natl Rec Area, so dispersed dry camping is OK. Be sure to not tread all over the microbotic crusty ground as they take years to grow back.

http://www.jcu.edu/mcp/
Attached Thumbnails
Road_to_Telegraph_Creek_from_Cassiar_Hwy_BC.JPG