need help on Electrical question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-28-2018, 06:51 AM   #1

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
need help on Electrical question

Hi good people. So my head is about to explode ! I gutted my little egg and the one thing i didn't give much thought to is what electrical stuff to put back into it! I thought i'd do a little research on the web and come up with a plan on what to buy but crap there is so much to chose from . I just want the basic stuff ! Any ideas would be helpful! I want to be able to run 3 inside lights, my running lights, a water pump . fan , and charge my battery ! Thanks for any advice you can give!

All the best, Monte ( Das Cave )
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
el wiring

about the best I have seen although a little overboard was work done by lisa the lisatania! you can do a search for her stuff.

my opinion use the kiss principle think it through draw it out and go! we have a 13f scamper we do not use el. it has it all but for us not needed I don't even know if it works.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
In our Uhaul I installed a Progressive Dynamics 4045 power converter. It charges the battery, takes a few 110 breakers, and has a dozen 12 volt fuses. I have 12 volt lights and Fantastic Fan, plus a couple 110 outlets and lights.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
There is no basic standard to apply. It all depends on where you intend to camp, how much power you require and how much you are willing to spend. I can tell you what I would do, but not what you want to do.
Given your modest power requirements, a 100 watt solar cell and a good battery are probably all you need. Though shore power is frequently available and very convenient, so maybe a converter/battery charger is a good idea too.

Each component is a balance of priorities. Cost, ease of use, durability, fashion sense..... it all depends on your priorities. Each one is a separate decision, with it's own issues to consider.
Battery: capacity, cost, maintenance, size, venting requirements
Solar cell: capacity, cost, rigid vs flexible, type of controller, fixed or portable
Converter: capacity, cost, number of AC and DC circuits, size

This is not a comprehensive list.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #5

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
dave my thoughts

dave my thoughts exactly on our 3 week boondocking trip to az we never ran our battery down but our 12v requrements not much no tv no inverters outverters needed.

I bet we didn't use 2 gal of propane either

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #6

Name: Elvin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte W View Post
Hi good people. So my head is about to explode ! I gutted my little egg and the one thing i didn't give much thought to is what electrical stuff to put back into it! I thought i'd do a little research on the web and come up with a plan on what to buy but crap there is so much to chose from . I just want the basic stuff ! Any ideas would be helpful! I want to be able to run 3 inside lights, my running lights, a water pump . fan , and charge my battery ! Thanks for any advice you can give!

All the best, Monte ( Das Cave )
Monte,

I'm also about to redo my electrical needs so I will be watching this post with interest.

Elvin
omache27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
I tend to keep it simple. For starters, your trailer brake, turn, running, and marker lights are all 12 volt and are powered from your tow vehicle. So standard trailer light wiring works for that. Go LED if you can, they can (if built right) last longer and use less power.

For your internal lights and water pump (and a heater fan?) you will need a 12 volt deep cycle battery. A fuse or breaker panel so you can protect against shorts causing fires is important. Put a fuse on each circuit. One for the internal lights, one for the water pump, etc.

One of those circuits can be for an inverter so you can get 120 volts AC for household appliances. I don't normally bother with this, but it can be helpful to charge cell phones and small things like that. Don't plan on heating or cooking off an inverter. They are not that efficient in the first place, and your battery does not have that much power compared to cooking or heating needs. Plan on Propane for cooking and heating, or AC power from a full hook up camp site.

As far as solar panels go, they can charge that deep cycle battery. The more watts the better, but you can go overboard. You might want to do a "power budget" if you plan on boondocking for extended periods of time.

An alternative to solar cells, or a supplement, if you are away from AC power for extended periods of time, is a small generator. They make quiet ones now and the energy in a gallon of gas is more than in a large deep cycle battery.

Food for thought.

Tom
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Although he is across the pond, and working on a Sprinter, this guy provides excellent planning and detail in a series.

Here are two you may want to watch:

Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:27 PM   #9

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
need help on Electrical question

Thanks for the input! That's the power of this site! YOU KNOW someone out there knows the answer to you question!
Thanks
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical