Need Help Planning Our Way to Oregon in July - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
OK, today was the first day CA state parks took reservations for the month of July. If you're reading this you're too late for most of the Southern CA parks they were full by 10am for the month. The Northern CA state parks don't seem to have the demand yet.

So I was able to get a night in San Elijo in the incredible site hanging over the ocean and then I was able to get the next two nights at Carpinteria Beach near Santa Barbara.

I need some recommendations from our experienced CA campground experts to help finish planning our way to the Oregon gathering.

We need a cool campground which will be our starting point, in the San Diego, or a bit north or east, area for a couple of nights prior to arriving at San Elijo. Since we only have the one nite at San Elijo, we want to be close so we can enjoy the beach to it's fullest.

Next when we leave Carpinteria we need some campground recommendations in the San Luis Obispo area for a few nights and then Monterey next for a few nights. They don't have to be State Parks, we'll book anything cool. We will stay on the 101 as much as possible on our way to Bandon, OR but don't mind jogging a bit inland for maybe Napa or something you think we shouldn't miss....

Once we leave Monterey, where should our next stops be and what campground recommendations?? We don't want too long of a day on the road and this will still leave us about 9 days to get to Bandon after leaving Monterey.

We're pretty clueless once we get North of San Fran, and I know we've got the best campground experts there are on this forum.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Greg, are you talking about NOG.. Northern Oregon Gathering in April

Or

The Oregon Gathering in July at Bandon?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Greg, are you talking about NOG.. Northern Oregon Gathering in April

Or

The Oregon Gathering in July at Bandon?
Oops, sorry got them confused. The Oregon gathering in July.....
Old 01-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
ah...

County parks have been good to me. Look up what counties you are going through and check their parks depts. web pages. There are many "unknown" spots except to locals along the way.

On a couple of my trips up, I have found some good ones along I-5, a hiway I have traveled between Canada and Mexico literally all my life, and had no clue were there. Usually less than 5 mins off the freeway.

I bet there are dozens of them off the 101.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
We will stay on the 101 as much as possible on our way to Bandon, OR but don't mind jogging a bit inland for maybe Napa or something you think we shouldn't miss....

Once we leave Monterey, where should our next stops be and what campground recommendations?? We don't want too long of a day on the road and this will still leave us about 9 days to get to Bandon after leaving Monterey.
How about Hendy Woods? From Monterey to SF is about 2.5 hrs. SF to Philo another 2.5 hrs. You can stay on 101 until you get to Cloverdale and then take 128 West.

[b]Hendy Woods State Park
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=438

Plus Hendy Woods is surrounded by Wineries. It's in the middle of the Anderson Valley.

Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
From Hendy Woods you could continue your trip on Highway 101 to Prairie Creek State Park. It's our favorite State Park. http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=415

Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Say, since you coming up from the south if I were you I'd jog off Highway 101 at San Luis Obispo onto Highway 1. You could stay at Morro Bay SP just north of SLO and then continue up highway 1 to Monterey. You'll find several small federal campgrounds, first come first served, along the way. Or, make reservations at Big Sur then go on into Monterey

Monterey can be a problem. There are not many campgrounds on the peninsula.

My favorite is Memorial County Park which is first come first served, dry camping but does have a restroom with showers at about $18. The summer months can be a problem especially on weekends. It's a small campground in a county park up the hill from downtown Monterey. There is a bus that make stops at the park if you choose to not drive. But you do need to drive out to Pacific Grove and along the ocean drive, it's fantastic.

What I would do is make reservations at Laguna Seca Campground about $30. Then cancel at the last minute if you are able to get into Memorial Park. Now Laguna Seca Campground has water and electric sites, plus a lots of dry campsites. Timing can be tricky depending on what's going on there, such as auto racing. It's often a little noisy as people are generally there doing their practice runs at any time of the year. The Can Am Circle is the noisiest as well as sites 78-82 in Chaparral. Both areas have water and electric, Chaparral is my favorite. For shade in July site 44 & 47 are great with trees.

There are several "high" priced RV parks which I can't remember the name of and really don't want to.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #8

Wow Anne,

Both of these look great! We definitely want to see the redwoods and the wine areas. Thinking we might need one between Monterey and Hendy Woods to break that 5 hours, especially if we go through SFrancisco. Anyone know any that would work for that?

Still need San Diego County, San Luis Obispo, and Monterey recommendations and something between Prairie Creek and Bandon. Anyone have favorite parks or RV parks in those areas??
Old 01-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Greg, you were typing about the same time as Joy. See her post right above yours.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #10

Thanks, Joy.

I will look into those right away, they sound like great options. I like the idea of booking the commercial park and then hitting Memorial park to see if we can get in.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Bandon nights, even in July, get downright chilly. Be sure to take some fleece, or something warm (and maybe waterproof!).
Vi Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
Still need San Diego County, San Luis Obispo, and Monterey recommendations and something between Prairie Creek and Bandon. Anyone have favorite parks or RV parks in those areas??
We love staying at Harris Beach State Park, just north of Brookings, OR. The campsites overlooking the ocean are the nicest, but they're difficult to get. Some of the other campsites can be a little noisy due to highway traffic, but the real attraction here is the coastline. Here and just to the north at Boardman State Park (day use only) the coastline is really spectacular, with gorgeous hikes along rugged shorelines leading to deserted beaches. A true delight! A word of caution though - the trail often traverses very steep slopes, and it definitely wouldn't be good to slip. If you have a dog I'd recommend using a leash.

Here's a few of the vistas in the area...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_320b.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	17388

Jeanne
Attached Thumbnails
2008_358c.jpg  
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:49 AM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
We need a cool campground which will be our starting point, in the San Diego, [b]or a bit north or east, area for a couple of nights prior to arriving at San Elijo. Since we only have the one nite at San Elijo, we want to be close so we can enjoy the beach to it's fullest.
If you approach California on Interstate 10 West, I would recommend transitioning to Highway 60 West in Beaumont, to Interstate 215 South, to Interstate 15 South. In Temecula, get on Highway 79 South. Just after you cross into San Diego County, look for the U.S. Forrest Service Campground at Oak Grove, it will be to your left. Within the campground, select the northern loop: the "Oak Loop" should be shaded and cool.