Need opinion on Scamp ASAP! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #21

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1984 16' Scamp
Missouri
Hey guys checking in and proud to report I'm a new Scamp owner!

I left Charlotte, NC on Friday night, got into Biloxi, MS at 4am Sat, slept till 830am, went to check out trailer, hook up and tow away, and am on my last stop before Kansas City (destination) and its 1:30am on Sunday. Needless to say I'm dragging a bit.

First impressions, these trailers are sweet!

The trailer has been behind my Tacoma for about 900 miles now. Tows like a dream, only feel it on decent hills. My mileage has taken a dip because of the wind resistance I'm assuming, not the weight.

Ok, so about the trailer which I will post in more detail later on my computer, but only issue I ran into when checking it out and hooking it up, the electrical 4 pin plug wasn't log enough to reach my truck. I drove about 3 miles to the part store with no lights (I know, i know) and got an extender. Hooked it up, still no lights. Don't have my multimeter to check it so just went in and got a set of magnetic tow lights for the trailer bumper and off we went. I will deal with wiring when I get back.

I had quite a bit of stuff in my truck so I figured I'd put it in the trailer so my brother and I could stretch out a little. On our second stop I took a look in the trailer and stuff was EVERYWHERE! Guess I probably need to consider securing stuff!

One more thing, maybe someone can speak to this. I've noticed on bumpy roads, etc, I may get some rocking back and forth of the trailer. Not side to side but back and then forward towards the tongue. Maybe it's because it's empty, maybe I need to slow down, maybe something else? Probably why our stuff was all over the place!!

Will post more tomorrow after I clean it out a little bit.
ryanlikestacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #22

Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Shopping
Ontario
Wife options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlikestacos View Post
No bathroom or toilet, which is why I'm kind of on the fence. A porta potty for late night tinkles is an option, especially for my wife.

I too am looking for one. I have no rush at all, will buy most likely new. I am doing my research now. I have some issues to make my garage opening bigger so I can store it inside. In a big city there are bylaws where you can park it, but inside a garage there is no issue.

If the wife wants a toilet get a shower too or else you will be going alone. Make her happy. The shower/washroom is a big re-sale value and you can travel longer.
RETIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #23

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Is the ball the same size as the hitch? Does the drop/rise draw bar make a good level tow situation?

Sometimes we have a bit of a clank. I think it is in sidewind, and could also be when we had heavy load in our van. Fred thinks ours may be in the drawbar/receiver area.

Hope some of the experienced folks give some answers. Don't be offended by my amateur ideas.

I'm also curious about the 4 pin. Did Scamp use that back in the 80's? Were batteries at that time not being charged while traveling? Experts, educate us.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #24

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Congratulations!

Let the work begin...

Quote:
the electrical 4 pin plug wasn't log enough to reach my truck. I drove about 3 miles to the part store with no lights (I know, i know) and got an extender. Hooked it up, still no lights. Don't have my multimeter to check it so just went in and got a set of magnetic tow lights for the trailer bumper and off we went. I will deal with wiring when I get back.
Looks like wiring is job one, all right- I'm pretty sure that trailer should have a 7-pin round connector, and in addition to a charging line: a brake line! Take a look at the wheel hubs- is there a blue wire attached there somewhere???

Here's the Scamp wiring diagram. (A few things would be newer add-ons, but they've been using the basic 12v configuration for years.)

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #25

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Hey guys checking in and proud to report I'm a new Scamp owner!

I left Charlotte, NC on Friday night, got into Biloxi, MS at 4am Sat, slept till 830am, went to check out trailer, hook up and tow away, and am on my last stop before Kansas City (destination) and its 1:30am on Sunday. Needless to say I'm dragging a bit.
I guess you must have been tired, all right... it's only Saturday! Congratulations on your find!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #26

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Congratulations. Glad you were able to make the deal. Agree with others, about taking care of the electrical first off. But also, all of the safety matters such as the hitch, brakes, axle, etc. Mine didn't have a smoke or carbon monoxide detector. So I had to add them. Lots of info on this forum for ideas. Sounds like you learned quickly about the necessity to secure things in the trailer. Bungy cords and expandable tension rods and bins are your friend when packing the Scamp. Take some pictures for us when you get it home.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #27

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That "Yawing" you are experiencing may be due, in part, to insufficient weight on the hitch or tire issues. If it has passenger car tires at 36 psi, it will wobble. You need "Trailer Use Only" tires to help keep it tracking straight. Take a look at the tires side wall, they should be rated at 50 PSI if "C" load range or 65 PSI if "D" load range. In any event, inflate them to the stated value for starters and see if that helps. Also, while you are down there, check the age dates. Usually anything over 6 years old should be replaced.

BTW: it sounds like you ar running without trailer brakes. In most states the weight of a Scamp 16' requires brakes, not only that, without trailer brakes it's not safe should things get squirrly.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #28

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
We love having a bathroom--especially in the middle of the night!!!!!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #29

Name: Stacy
Trailer: "79 Scamp "Tiny Tow"
Texas
Very excited for you! My mother and I just went in on an old one. I don't know
What you paid, but can tell you that I looked pretty constantly for a year and this would have been a great deal at 4000.00. We have a pop up 4x4 tent with a port a potty in it, but I saw an idea on the site of a roll out one from a cabinet,so may do that. Have fun!
StacyJayT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp