Need some help--any Coloradans on?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello,

My husband and I are in the market for a Casita and are first time R.V.'ers. We live in College Station, TX and have found a Casita for sale in Montrose, Colorado that we're very interested in. We've talked to the owner and have offered him $13,250, which he accepted, and are going to give him a deposit of $500 to hold the trailer for us as soon as he sets up a Paypal account (hopefully by this morning.)

We will be visiting my parents in Wichita Falls, TX next week and are planning on driving from there to Montrose to pick up the trailer at the end of the week. But before we make the 769 mile one-way trip from Wichita Falls to pick it up, I'm hoping a member that lives nearby would be willing to go give it a once-over for us and perhaps take a few additional pictures. I'll admit I'm a little nervous as this is our first R.V. and I've read a few horror stories on here of people who drove hundreds of miles for a sight-unseen trailer only to be disappointed in it's in-person condition once they arrived.

Here is the link to the camper:

http://westslope.craigslist.org/rvs/1848716263.html

The owner sounds very nice. He's a retired Dr. and said the trailer has been winterized and parked for 2 years. We'd be towing it with our 2002 Toyota Highlander V6, which has a 3500 lb towing capacity. Still need to get it hitched, but that will be done very soon!!

Anyhow, if anyone near Montrose would be willing to give it a preliminary check for us to ensure that the actual trailer matches what the ad states, we'd be forever grateful.

Thanks for reading this--love this forum, it's a real gem.

Jessica
Jessica C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Hello,

My husband and I are in the market for a Casita and are first time R.V.'ers. We live in College Station, TX and have found a Casita for sale in Montrose, Colorado that we're very interested in. We've talked to the owner and have offered him $13,250, which he accepted, and are going to give him a deposit of $500 to hold the trailer for us as soon as he sets up a Paypal account (hopefully by this morning.)

We will be visiting my parents in Wichita Falls, TX next week and are planning on driving from there to Montrose to pick up the trailer at the end of the week. But before we make the 769 mile one-way trip from Wichita Falls to pick it up, I'm hoping a member that lives nearby would be willing to go give it a once-over for us and perhaps take a few additional pictures. I'll admit I'm a little nervous as this is our first R.V. and I've read a few horror stories on here of people who drove hundreds of miles for a sight-unseen trailer only to be disappointed in it's in-person condition once they arrived.

Here is the link to the camper:

http://westslope.craigslist.org/rvs/1848716263.html

The owner sounds very nice. He's a retired Dr. and said the trailer has been winterized and parked for 2 years. We'd be towing it with our 2002 Toyota Highlander V6, which has a 3500 lb towing capacity. Still need to get it hitched, but that will be done very soon!!

Anyhow, if anyone near Montrose would be willing to give it a preliminary check for us to ensure that the actual trailer matches what the ad states, we'd be forever grateful.

Thanks for reading this--love this forum, it's a real gem.

Jessica
Hi jessica, I wish I could help, but we live in Aurora, Colorado, which is about 4 1/2 hours East of there. However, there are people over there that may be able to help. I'm going to send you a Private Message with my personal E-mail and I do know of a guy over there that was looking for a Casita, but he got a different brand, but he might be able to look at it for you if needed. He may have already seen it. If you have trouble getting my PM, just post another one here and we'll see what we can do.

Regards,

Keith Williams
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #3

Thank you, Keith! Just replied to your PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

You could drive down to Rice, TX and for not much more money, buy a NEW Casita!!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Nice looking trailer.

Name:   3n03ma3l15V05Q35U0a7hf4f5b27bf14b161f.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  7.2 KB

Name:   3m63p93lf5Z45W35X3a7hfd44a1d44b081d66.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  6.0 KB
[attachment=34869:3n13m93o...d5731e32.
jpg]

Name:   3p73ob3lc5V55T05P5a7h3f2c264c294b1ccb.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  6.1 KB
Attached Images

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
You could drive down to Rice, TX and for not much more money, buy a NEW Casita!!

Haha--that's what I initially wanted to do, but we'll need the camper for a 2 week stay during the last two weeks of August and sadly a new one wouldn't be ready until mid November. Also, this is a compromise with my husband, who wanted to get a much older, used one. The way I see it, we'll be getting a lightly used camper by one non-smoking owner and we'll be shaving roughly 5-6 k off the price of a new one (incl. sales tax) to boot!! *Almost* as good as new, yes? I could be wrong, I am new at this...
Old 07-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #7

[quote]Nice looking trailer.
Attachment 29660

Attachment 29659
[attachment=34869:3n13m93o...d5731e32.
jpg]
Attachment 29662

We're really excited about it!! Fingers crossed that it all works out. We put down the deposit this morning and the owner is fine with the idea of a 3rd party giving it an initial inspection on our behalf. Hopefully someone in the area will be able to help us out--we're heading to CO from Wichita Falls, TX on Monday the 26th!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #8

Keith--I sent you a second PM including my contact information right after I sent my first reply. Did you get it? I'm confused because my account says I've sent only the first message, but that's not true...hmmmm.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I will be in that area the next week and would be happy to look at it for you if you get delayed somehow.

Just another option.

Congrats!

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Quote:
I will be in that area the next week and would be happy to look at it for you if you get delayed somehow.

Just another option.

Congrats!

Ed
Hi Jessica,
I'm in Telluride; 1.25hrs. from Montrose, and frequently make trips to the "Big City", for supplies. If Ed dosen't work out let me know.
Scott
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
"Big City"
Scott your funny! Those of us from CO know your stretching the truth here....

Sorry, Jessica I am in N, CO though usually I am up for a drive to see molded glass. And the "big City" as Scott described is a beautiful place to visit. Well worth the drive but I have a ton of stuff going on the next few weeks. I hope your new purchase turns out to be exactly what your looking for.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:59 AM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Scott your funny! Those of us from CO know your stretching the truth here....

Sorry, Jessica I am in N, CO though usually I am up for a drive to see molded glass. And the "big City" as Scott described is a beautiful place to visit. Well worth the drive but I have a ton of stuff going on the next few weeks. I hope your new purchase turns out to be exactly what your looking for.
It's double funny,I will be in Gunnison where we have a small cabin and we too make the Trek to the "Big City" to fetch supplies.
It is a little longer trip than from Telluride for us but I know I will be there the first few days in Co.

So if it does work out I am happy to help if I can.

I am just trying to decide if I bring my Egg along or not. I don't really need to but that has never stopped me before.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #13

Oh, my goodness--everyone is so NICE here!!

Ed thank you so much for your offer to take a gander at it for us. I'm pretty sure we'll be arriving in Montrose on the 27th, after having left Wichita Falls on the morning of the 26th. Will you be in Montrose on the 25th? If so, it sounds like it might work, but if not we very much appreciate your offer! Hope you have a wonderful time in Gunnison--and I think you might miss your Egg if you don't bring her along!! ;-)

Robin thank you also for your response and well wishes! We're really looking forward to camping in our new Casita while we're in the area. Colorado is such a gorgeous state and a very nice respite from the blazin' heat we have going on down here right now.

Scott, you are also so kind! If you're planning on being in Montrose sometime before the 26th and the logistics don't work out with Ed, we'd be very grateful if you'd look at it for us--but only if you already have plans to be in the area. I'd never ask or expect anyone to drive over an hour to look at a trailer for us--or anything else for that matter!! haha How is the weather right now in Telluride?
Old 07-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #14

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Jessica

I wish I'd known about this a little sooner as we were on that side of the mountains yesterday within 75 miles of Montrose (around here that's within rock throwing distance). The most you could be out at this point is $500 and a day trip - ok, a couple of days.

From the pictures it looks like you are getting a very good camper. Enjoy.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Jessica

I wish I'd known about this a little sooner as we were on that side of the mountains yesterday within 75 miles of Montrose (around here that's within rock throwing distance). The most you could be out at this point is $500 and a day trip - ok, a couple of days.

From the pictures it looks like you are getting a very good camper. Enjoy.

Orlen
Thanks, Orlen! We're really excited about it. Aaaand I have good news--Keith put us in touch with his friend who lives in Montrose, and he's agreed to go take a look-see for us on Saturday! Ed and Scott, thank you again for offering to go check it out for us! Hopefully within the week we'll become proud new owners of a Casita!!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
I have good news--Keith put us in touch with his friend who lives in Montrose, and he's agreed to go take a look-see for us on Saturday!
Wonderful! It's always nice to have an opinion from someone before driving across a couple of states to buy. It is a nerve racking experience. Best of Luck! Let us know how it turns out........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #17

I heard from my friend in Montrose, just a little bit ago, and he feels they are getting a really good deal. I think they are are coming by my place Tuesday and I'm going to help them out a bit with some of the things I've learned over the years.

I'll never forget Bill and Darlene Harper, from Phoenix, back in 2003 when we got our first Casita.Darlene....God rest her sweet soul... asked if we would "mind" if they came along when we picked up our Casita down in Mesa, AZ. I had done the same thing that Jessica and Andy are doing and bought it site unseen from Earnhardt's in Mesa, AZ. I gave them a deposit and they assured me that when I got there, if I wasn't happy they would refund my money.

Bill and Darlene went with us and showed me a ton of tricks right then. Bill even gave us a "Casita warming gift"......a 4 pack of RV Toilet paper. What a sweet guy. Sadly, Darlene passed away suddenly a couple of years later and Bill couldn't even go in the Casita after that. I helped him sell it and really wish he would hook up again with this group. But, everyone has to do it their way. If any of you know him, give him a call. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

Sorry, I digress....but I want to help these "newbies" out. Too bad we can't have a last minute gathering next week for them here i Aurora.

I'm excited for them.

Keith
Old 07-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #18

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Sorry, I digress....but I want to help these "newbies" out. Too bad we can't have a last minute gathering next week for them here i Aurora.

I'm excited for them.

Keith
Sounds like a good idea to me. There are a few folks in the metro area that could get together to welcome them to the world of fiberglass even if it was just for a few hours.

Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Sounds like a good idea to me. There are a few folks in the metro area that could get together to welcome them to the world of fiberglass even if it was just for a few hours.
I'm open to suggestions? Is there any place we could gather that there wouldn't be any neighborhood covenant's to deal with? I got home today and had a letter from our Ass.....ociation Gestapo threatening to fine me if I kept my Casita on the curb again for more than just loading or unloading. What a bunch of jerks. Where else am I supposed to work on it?

Sorry about unloading but HOA's are a real two-edged sword.

I'm serious about something quick.

Let me know if you have any ideas.
Thanks,

Keith
Old 07-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #20
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Bless you, Keith. I appreciate the reminiscences about Darlene - I never met her in person but she gave us a lot of encouragement when we were getting this website going. It's great you can pass along some of your knowledge to Jessica and her husband. I sure hope the Casita pick up goes smoothly!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote