Need the straight info on pricing (NADA) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-25-2003, 06:16 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Need the straight info on pricing (NADA)

Help folks! Tomorrow we are going to look at a Casita that is advertised for $2000 above the NADA average retail. It is supposed to be in mint condition. What gives? Should I offer a price around average retail----or should I expect to pay more---perhaps much more than average NADA retail? My family really wants a Casita but I can't afford to waste money.

Is there anybody out there that can help us on pricing? Please respond immediately. Thanks tremendously for any help.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:25 PM   #2

NADA

NADA isn't the best guide for Casitas. They consistently undervalue them, according to what they are actually selling for. You should probably expect to pay more than NADA says.

Old 07-25-2003, 07:03 PM   #3

Hi, Tony! I did a search (button at the top of this screen) and came up with a couple of other threads where NADA's unrealistic pricing is discussed.

Buying a Casita is one of the discussions from a few months back.

Good luck. I hope that Casita really is in mint condition! :wink

Old 07-25-2003, 07:36 PM   #4

NADA

Tonyl,

NADA uses dealer sales to set the price of used trailers or vehicles. The problem is that there are very few Casitas that are sold through dealers. Because of that they use a guess compared to other trailers. Because Casita discounts their trailers NADA's price for a year or two old trailer is closer. But they will miss it more each year the trailer ages.

I don't know how old the trailer is or what options it has. But it is easy for NADA to be off $2000 on a two or three year old trailer with a lot of options.

Back in another life, when I worked as a car salesman, I was told by the owner that the NADA book is for banks. They need something to act as a guide for loans...............enough of that story.

Check out the trailer. If it looks like it has been well taken care of then expect to pay more. And sometimes the seller is including some extras which can save you a lot. If you think it is to high compared to a new one then, Buy new.

If I was going to sell my 03 17 Casita in 04, I would ask about $13,000 and probably about $500 less for each additional year that I keep it.

Good Luck

Old 07-25-2003, 07:36 PM   #5

Tony,

A Casita (or any fiberglassRV) is worth what anyone will pay for it. My rule of thumb is:
1st yr. price drop $1,000
each year after that, price drop $500.

Then take into account how well it was taken care of and any modifications. The modifications can either add or take away from the value. For instance a solar system may add to the value. Big holes cut into the fiberglass would depreciate the value.

I hope this helps. What year, what model and how long is the Casita?

:wave

Old 07-25-2003, 11:04 PM   #6

For what it's worth

TonyL,

To answer your question, you should be able to buy a Casita for NADA value, I did, but NADA is an average of units sold by dealers. Some have sold for more and some for less. With real estate it's all about location but with a used TT, it's condition, condition, and condition. For a Casita to qualify for a price higher than the NADA price, it would need to be in near new condition and super clean. Older units are less likely to meet that requirement. My Casita was four years old and had the usual signs of use. Options are another factor. A Casita that does not have all of the most popular options would be worth less and could be harder to sell. Most of us can do without a furnace but not the AC. In my search last year for a 16' SD, I found owners using the online NADA guide improperly. Several started with the deluxe model and added the options that are standard. One even wanted to recoup her Kentucky sales tax. Look at the tires. If the tires are the old thirteen-inch or if they were made by Carlisle, you may want to deduct the replacement cost. Look for dog hair in the carpet on the walls above the dinette and on seat cushions. It is almost impossible to see and even a good vacuuming will not get all of it but masking tape will pick it up. That would be another deduction. A smoke free unit is worth more or should I say one that has been smoked in is worth much less. Learn the smell of Fabreze. It covers up almost anything. You will just have to trust the owner as to mileage but chips on the lower front and in the wheel wells are a good indication of travels. Also consider the cost of a trip to Texas if you opt for a new casita or consider what it is worth to you to have one now instead of waiting.

Old 07-26-2003, 04:44 AM   #7

Going to look at it right now--early in the morning

Thanks everyone for your input. Will be leaving in a few minutes to see it---a 1996 Casita Spirit Deluxe. Asking price is $8200. Average retail according to NADA is $6200. Options were not added in the NADA price since those are standard on the Sprit Deluxe. However, other models without Deluxe standard features are the same price. On those models you could then add extras which would actually boost their prices above a Sprit Deluxe--go figure? You guys have a nice weekend!

Old 07-26-2003, 01:23 PM   #8

Not just Casitas, but all the Eggs are undervalued in NADA and Kelley. In my experience when looking across several years for a suitable Egg, they typically sell for more than the BookValue.

When I found my 91S13 on consignment with a dealer in Vermont, both of us were happy to make the transaction for full book retail, and of course that's probably what was reported back to the data keepers.

The other way to get transaction values on trailers is to poll state data on sales tax paid, but these numbers are often understated in transactions between private parties...:r

Bottom line, as stated above and before, is whether or not the thing is worth to you what the present owner is asking. If you want to get wrapped up in the concepts of "fair", "normal" or "profit", you may never buy anything again...

If a fellow finds a $20 bill [his cost is zero] and sells it to you for $10, is he making an obscene profit? Are you getting a bad deal? If you sell it to a third party for $15, are you a profit-hungry opportunist or a fool? Has the third party been cheated because everyone else has made a profit to date?

Homework: Review the paragraph above, but presume the original note is Canadian and the remaining transactions are in USD. Does it make a difference? Will any of this matter in twenty years?

Pete in the RatHaus

Old 07-26-2003, 02:49 PM   #9

Options

Tonyl,

I have a 17 Casita Freedom Deluxe and there are another $1500 in options added by the factory. Plus the cost of delivery.

Ron

Old 07-26-2003, 03:21 PM   #10

Canabucks

Hey pete ---If you can find me somebody who'll pay 15 greenbacks for a coloured twenty point him out, i'll sell him a few

Old 07-26-2003, 08:45 PM   #11

Casita pricing

I sure hope that my 1999 Casita 16' SD is worth $8,200.00 three years from now. It may be the only thing I ever owned that went up in value.

Old 07-26-2003, 09:40 PM   #12

Bought the Casita!

I'm not going to say the price. Both me and the seller were satisfied so that is all that matters. The Casita was not in the condition that was advertised. It was rather dirty and had a foul odor. Nevertheless, everything seemed to work and nothing was broken. Perhaps new carpet and a thorouch cleaning will do the job. It has great possibilities when cleaned up!

Thanks so much to everyone for your responses. We are excited about our first camping trip in a fiberglass camper. :wave

Old 07-26-2003, 09:50 PM   #13

Tony;

Glad you took the plunge. You know if you have any problems or questions we will be glad to be of as much help as we possibly can.

Old 07-27-2003, 08:02 AM   #14

Hi, TonyL. We had a talk about a smoke smelly trailer a while back. It might help with the foul smell problem in yours.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php?TID=1616
course it could just need a good cleaning. :lol amazing what that does. Happy camping.

Old 07-27-2003, 09:00 AM   #15

Welcome to the group, tony!

Congrats on your new baby.

Have no fear ... we'll help you get it in tip-top shape.

Pete D ... I loved your $20 bill story! So true!