Need trailer brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #1

Name: Gabriele
Trailer: 2010 Scamp with side bench, towing with 2010 6 cyl Ford Escape
California
Need trailer brakes

Hey guys, where is the best place to get trailer brakes installed. I don't want to get sold more than I need. I have a 6 cyl Ford escape with the factory tow package and am shopping for a 16 ft scamp or casita, in that order.
Would appreciate any leads...don't suppose any of you guys want to sell yours eh? Would prefer newer than 2001
Gabriele
PleinAirGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Most 16 foot trailers come with brakes. You will need a brake controller installed in your car. UHaul or any small auto repair shop can do this for you. You will pay a premium at an auto or RV dealer.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #3

California
It's my understanding that the UHAUL places will do the hitches but not the installation of the trailer brakes on the car. I think I will call my mechanic and get his input. I am aware that the trailer will already have brakes, and also that CA requires them. Thanks again Tom.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleinAirGal View Post
It's my understanding that the UHAUL places will do the hitches but not the installation of the trailer brakes on the car. I think I will call my mechanic and get his input. I am aware that the trailer will already have brakes, and also that CA requires them. Thanks again Tom.
Not all UHaul places have the same restrictions, so it is worth checking out a few different ones. Wiring a brake controller and perhaps a 12 volt charging lead to a 7 pin connector is not a high skill job, so this can be done at many places like a trailer or hitch shop, an RV dealer, etc. The more overhead they have, the more they will charge you.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
You don't say what year your Escape is, but I think E-trailer has all the parts you need for a controller and installation along with related instructional videos. ( Link to page)

Worth checking out even if you pay someone else to do the job!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I ordered a class III hitch and it was made especially for my truck and it came with the required bolts. installed it myself with NO problems. The threads were taped into the truck frame and all I had 2 do is bolt up the hitch. It would be easier if you had someone help U hold it up.

The directions gave a Torque setting and you can get a torque wrench at a Pawn Shop or Harbor Freight for around $20.

Purchase the wrench and socket and save yourself some cash.

Go to Amazon.com and look for hitches.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I ordered a class III hitch and it was made especially for my truck and it came with the required bolts. installed it myself with NO problems. The threads were taped into the truck frame and all I had 2 do is bolt up the hitch. It would be easier if you had someone help U hold it up.

The directions gave a Torque setting and you can get a torque wrench at a Pawn Shop or Harbor Freight for around $20.

Purchase the wrench and socket and save yourself some cash.

Go to Amazon.com and look for hitches.
That sounds good. I shared the info with my husband. I am sure he and I can do it. We thought there was welding involved.
For those who want to know.. We have a 2010 ford escape with the factory tow package already installed. The receiver is the smaller, inch and quarter or half, I forget which.
What we need to do is change out the four point plug for the larger 7 standard plug.. I think. I called our mechanic and he said he does not do that.. So still checking around.
Was going to make a decision today and get it done but ended up in the studio painting today...
Thanks for your input all.
Gabriele
Old 02-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #8

Registry
If you don't want to do-it-yourself, an RV service center's probably your best bet for brake controller wiring.

FYI:

From the E-trailer link I posted earlier (post #5)

This is the installation kit that will convert your existing 4-way connector to a seven way, and allow for the installation of a brake controller.

Full video instructions at those pages...

Francesca
Old 02-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That smaller receiver is a hint as to how much you can tow. Check your specifications carefully. I think you will find that a 16' Scamp or Casita might be a bit heavy for that hitch when loaded. Check the real world weights elsewhere on the site.
You can get a pre-wired 7 pin plug that the existing 4 pin will plug into and then you just add the brake, charging and, (if needed) the back-up light, wires.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #10

Registry
Some 1-1/4" receivers can tow up to 3500 pounds, and if it came from the factory that's probably what's installed on the O.P.'s Escape.

Francesca
Old 02-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #11

California
The ford escape with the factory tow package is rated 3500 lbs and 350 on the tongue. From my research, I should be good to go...I am just concerned about the smaller receiver. Some say I will be ok, and some say get a new hitch with the standard receiver.
I am sharing all these threads with my husband. I guess that makes me the secretary..although I will be making solo painting trips pulling the trailer on my own, so good to know this stuff.
Thanks guys.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
The ford escape with the factory tow package is rated 3500 lbs and 350 on the tongue. From my research, I should be good to go...I am just concerned about the smaller receiver. Some say I will be ok, and some say get a new hitch with the standard receiver.
I am sharing all these threads with my husband. I guess that makes me the secretary..although I will be making solo painting trips pulling the trailer on my own, so good to know this stuff.
Thanks guys.
Don't be hornswoggled by all the folks that think a 2" hitch is "better" than the factory hitch that came on your rig.

It would do nothing for your rig to change it out, and you may in fact wind up with a setup inferior to the one designed by Ford specifically for your vehicle.

The main rationale folks seem to use when promoting 2" receivers for such small vehicles is that it's easier to find/fit accessories like bike/cargo racks. Even were this true, an adapter for that purpose is readily available for the hitch you have on the tug right now. Cost: about twenty bucks.

Francesca
Old 02-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Why the concern? No Scamp 16' should get near the hitch rating. In Frederick's listing of actual trailer weights as they arrived at campsites, found in Trailer Weights in the Real World, the heaviest Scamp 16' weighs 2800 pounds. Only that heaviest one has a tongue weight over 320 pounds, and there's no need to be that high. A larger hitch might have greater capacity, but it won't give the Escape any more capacity, either total or tongue weight.

Although the 2" size is more common, there are no authoritative standards - just common practices - and the 1-1/4" size is the common practice for capacities up to 3500 pounds. Ball mounts and other accessories are more readily available in the 2" size, but there's no reason to think you won't find what you need in 1-1/4".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #14

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Don't be hornswoggled by all the folks that think a 2" hitch is "better" than the factory hitch that came on your rig.

Francesca
Normally, I would agree. But the factory hitch on the Escape/Tribute/Mariner is pretty cheesy.

The aftermarket 2" receivers are much better built with heavy gauge tubing that will carry far more weight than the vehicle could move.

The factory will work, but My personal preference is to err on the side of caution.

Of course, I tow my Scamp with a Blazer swapped to 1 ton running gear, 10,000lb hitch and a beefed up frame.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #15

California
You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the input. i really appreciate it.
We have been going back and forth between the fiberglass ships and some of the new units out there of comparable sizes, but nothing comes in as low as scamp/casita types for weight. After looking last week at RV lots for a couple days, and coming close to buying a Swift, we are back set on scamp and casita. I have been searching for one for over two years. We go back and forth to AZ a lot to see kids, grandkids and parents. Every time I have been there for extended trips, and unable to get back quick enough, there is one out in CA and now that we are home..there is likely one out there. I have been extremely patient in my search, waiting for just the right unit to grab. I am thinking getting my tow vehicle ready for the go might help... Hoping for the planets, and the bank account line up at the same time to make it come together...growing weary of the search though.
You all are so great..thanks again.
Gabriele
Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post
Normally, I would agree. But the factory hitch on the Escape/Tribute/Mariner is pretty cheesy.

The aftermarket 2" receivers are much better built with heavy gauge tubing that will carry far more weight than the vehicle could move.

The factory will work, but My personal preference is to err on the side of caution.

Of course, I tow my Scamp with a Blazer swapped to 1 ton running gear, 10,000lb hitch and a beefed up frame.
The hitch on the Escape is good for the rating and certainly "GOUDA nuff" for the task,not cheesy at all! Francesca is right.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #17

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

It would do nothing for your rig to change it out, and you may in fact wind up with a setup inferior to the one designed by Ford specifically for your vehicle.

The main rationale folks seem to use when promoting 2" receivers for such small vehicles is that it's easier to find/fit accessories like bike/cargo racks. Even were this true, an adapter for that purpose is readily available for the hitch you have on the tug right now. Cost: about twenty bucks.

Francesca
Yes, and those racks will fit soooo well with that adapter and won't shake, rattle, and roll all over the place...not. I'm not saying they need one for their use, but there is NO downside to a 2" hitch over a 1 1/4" hitch. There are more than a few downsides to the 1 1/4" hitch.

As for the brake controller, it can be installed in an hour or two, pretty easy setup.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #18

I wouldn't use one of those adapters to put a 2" rack in a 1.25" receiver, both because of the rattling and because it would extend the rack rearward increasing stress on the hitch and making hitting the ground with the rack more likely... but there are 1.25" racks and this has nothing to do with towing anyway. Again, if there is no problem to be fixed, why take a suitable and manufacturer-endorsed receiver off?

It would be a different situation if the Escape didn't already have a suitable hitch. Even then, it would make sense to look at factors such as mounting hardware installation, and fit with the bumper cover; the factory 1.25" receiver might still be the preferred choice.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #19

A brake controller doesn't take long to install, but it is important to place it carefully. It needs to be visible, easily reachable, and not in the way.

There's also the matter of picking a suitable controller, but I don't see any point in rehashing that in this thread - there are lots of existing discussions of the subject.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #20

I'd stay with the factory hitch. I believe it is integrated into the bumper, so a larger hitch will either leave a hole above the new hitch or require trimming the plastic bumper. In any case, it is rated to tow what you need to tow.

I would consider having a charging line installed along with a brake controller so you can charge the trailer battery as you tow.

Tags
brakes