Nest Caravans — Building a new FG trailer, step by step - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #181

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Some styles are timeless and some transitory. Everyone who sees a Boler and it's copies says at least 'cute' and it's almost a half a century old.

As to broken RV windows, our most telling window experience was 3 months in Alaska. Every hit came from approaching traffic.

Crossing Labrador on what used to be a mostly dirt road, every front surface of our under our trailer was 'sand and stone blasted', no paint on those surfaces at the end of the trip.

Though we had extended our mud flaps the front of our painted aluminum trailer was significantly 'aluminum bright' behind each wheel right up the front of the trailer. For our next trip a more extensive stone reduction system. Fortunately most of the road is now paved.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #182

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
The sandblasting on those roads is quite significant, as I just noticed when jacking up the Scamp for its winter rest and looking at the axle.
The TLH is still a little less than half paved, although they are working on it like crazy. On our trip we had almost 500 miles of dirt in Labrador and Quebec. When all paved, it could be a good alternative route to Newfoundland.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #183

Name: Bob
Trailer: Nest??
California
I've been thinking about the design and layout and have a question for all you experienced trailer campers - Is it awkward to have the bed and large picture window at the front of the trailer? It seems like we most frequently back into campsites with the scenery and privacy to the rear of the site. The big window and bed orientation may offer a swell view of the tow vehicle and the campground loop road rather than the forest and stream behind. Thoughts?
mtnwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #184
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwater View Post
I've been thinking about the design and layout and have a question for all you experienced trailer campers - Is it awkward to have the bed and large picture window at the front of the trailer? It seems like we most frequently back into campsites with the scenery and privacy to the rear of the site. The big window and bed orientation may offer a swell view of the tow vehicle and the campground loop road rather than the forest and stream behind. Thoughts?
Yes you usually backed into the campsite, but I find most of the time the view to the back of the site is into the forest, the view to the front of the campsite, with some of the trees removed for the road and offers stunning views of the mountains or surrounding area. Yes you will also see you tow vehicle but the sites are often staggered so, depending on the campground, looking at your neighbour may or may not be an issue.

After saying all that when we camp we are usually outside so we enjoy the views in all directions, we only go inside to sleep or pour more wine
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #185

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
After saying all that when we camp we are usually outside so we enjoy the views in all directions, we only go inside to sleep or pour more wine
Exactly. Spending time in the 'living' room is what camping is all about. Rarely am I looking out the windows in my trailer. Oh, and we take our wine outside with us.

While the rear entry does have a few drawbacks, after all most elements of design in small trailers have their compromises, what it does do is eliminate two inside corners to deal with, allowing for a more effective interior layout. In trailers, as in our homes, dealing with corner cabinetry is always a problem.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #186
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
So many compromises!

About the door in back, we took our cue from precedents like the Trailswest Campster and Compact Junior. Our upswept roofline allows for comfortable headroom in the "standing" areas. The big windshield in front (and the optional ragtop moonroof) is more for looking up and enjoying the stars at night while lying in bed.

The Nest will have a lot of nice features inside, but as Jim says, camping is about being outdoors. We're not forgetting that. The Nest will be a comfortable, cozy retreat to escape the rain or when it's time to call it a night.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #187

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Robert, Over the years of designing new products (Mechanical Engineering degree, but it really does not matter what field), I came to hate the word "compromise". It is design trade-offs. In other words, you can't give everything for everybody. The product with the best mix of features does best. Listen-and-learn is one one of the things that helps you get there, and you seem to show the patience to do it. Good luck!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #188

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
.In other words, you can't give everything for everybody. The product with the best mix of features does best. Listen-and-learn is one one of the things that helps you get there, and you seem to show the patience to do it. Good luck!
You took the words right out of my mouth. I think they are doing a great job of concidering and maybe using ideas put to them. Ford never called me before they raised the bedrails so high....be OK if I was 6'5" though
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #189

California
I appreciate all the feedback. I'm coming from a number of years with a camper van and have no trailer camping experience, so wanted to hear what others thought. I remain super excited about the Nest and grateful for the hard work and thoughtful effort that has gone into the product so far. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #190

Name: Tom
Michigan
I really like this trailer! I agree, follow your instincts Robert. It got you this far. I honestly can't remember when a manufacturer let us in on the whole fascinating process, AND asked for input. You are actually listening to all the suggestions! I wish you nothing but the best in your endeavor. I can hardly wait to see the final product.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #191

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I really like this trailer! I agree, follow your instincts Robert. It got you this far. I honestly can't remember when a manufacturer let us in on the whole fascinating process, AND asked for input. You are actually listening to all the suggestions! I wish you nothing but the best in your endeavor. I can hardly wait to see the final product.

Tom
I agree with Tom. So far I like what I am seeing,well enough that that I would like to be on the list of receiving information about flour plans and prices
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #192

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
..... I honestly can't remember when a manufacturer let us in on the whole fascinating process, AND asked for input. You are actually listening to all the suggestions!....
Tom
NOT to take away from Robert's build, but you haven't been around long enough to know Reace and Tammy asked the same kind of questions when building Escape models. I like to think, a lot of us here on FiberglassRV helped them to decide what consumers want when they started building Escape trailers...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #193

Name: Tom
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
NOT to take away from Robert's build, but you haven't been around long enough to know Reace and Tammy asked the same kind of questions when building Escape models. I like to think, a lot of us here on FiberglassRV helped them to decide what consumers want when they started building Escape trailers...
You're right Donna. I wasn't aware of that, but it doesn't surprise me. Escapes seem to be held in high regard by all on this forum. I can't think of a better way to find out what people want and don't want in a FG trailer; than to ask the folks here. Besides all the free advice, it goes a long way toward getting to know your future customers and getting your brand out there. It also promotes a feeling that buyers will be dealing with a company that listens to you. Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #194

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwater View Post
We like lots of windows, part of the reason we like our Scamp over the Casita (no front window). That said, windows serve two primary purposes for us, light and ventilation. If we have a view we're not looking out from bed, more likely we're outside.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #195

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
To me, if the bed is intended to be a permanent bed, I'd prefer to have few if any windows around it for the added privacy. I have no need to look outside while sleeping, and I'd prefer others on the outside not be able to look in while I'm sleeping. As long as I can get a little air movement over the bed, I'm good to go, and if the roof vent is not enough, then a small fan will serve that purpose quite nicely. On the other hand, if the bed will be converted to a dining booth during the day, then windows would be appreciated when stuck inside during inclement weather - more to look for a break in the weather than for sightseeing. In our EggCamper, the window over the side dinette provides our primary view to the outside world while waking to fresh coffee and rubbing sleep from our eyes each morning. Other than that, like others, we spend as much time outside our camper as possible where number and location of windows is the last thing on our mind.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #196
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
The plan is to make a "full-time" bed the standard set-up. This one feature was by far the most asked-for in our survey a couple years ago... However, we will offer the more ubiquitous benches/table/bed conversion as an option, should our standard "dinette" arrangement be deemed insufficient.

Of course, a big window around a bed does make for more privacy concerns, but given the compact size of the Nest, we feel that big windows (and more natural light) help make the inside experience much more comfortable.

BTW, some of you may be happy to learn that we have decided to take your advice and find a way to include an on-board gray water tank.

Here is a look at the test unit fitted with the nosecone (shown with NO access door just yet!), a temporary windshield, and utility service ports. That's shore power, city water and a temp heater vent forward of the wheel. The gravity-fill water inlet is upfront near the nosecone.
Attached Thumbnails
!!!IMG_0692.jpg  
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #197

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Thats really a spiffy looking little camper you got there. Well done on including the gray water tank too.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #198

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Looks really sharp, Robert. Looking forward to seeing the interior coming together too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
BTW, some of you may be happy to learn that we have decided to take your advice and find a way to include an on-board gray water tank.
One thing I am considering in a rebuild I will be doing on a Trillium 1300 for my daughter, is to use some kind of removable container, so it can be easily dumped while leaving the trailer set up. Kind of along the line of the cassette toilet. This way it would not have to be very large, and not take up much room.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #199

California
The Nest is looking awesome. Can't wait to see some of the interior components come together. Any news ideas/plans to share for the inside? Or will it be essentially as described on the previous website?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #200
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
One thing I am considering in a rebuild I will be doing on a Trillium 1300 for my daughter, is to use some kind of removable container, so it can be easily dumped while leaving the trailer set up. Kind of along the line of the cassette toilet. This way it would not have to be very large, and not take up much room.
I like that Idea Jim, may have to consider that modification to mine.

Robert, the Nest is looking awesome, good work.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote