Nest Caravans — Building a new FG trailer, step by step - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #81
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Concurrently, the rear cap is being framed or "blocked" to prepare for the mold building process. White melamine is cut to fit tight around the perimeter of the form. The nosecone storage unit stands ready to follow.

The entry door is comprised of two parts — and inner and outer skin. The outer skin mold is complete and will be used to help create the plug for the inner skin.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0600.JPG   IMG_0602.jpg  

IMG_0575.jpg  
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #82

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Can't wait to see the birthing of the first trailer shell, Robert.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #83

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Just spent some time looking at the Nest website. All I can say is this is a very cool looking camper, well done indeed. Love the contemporary Euro styling, and aerodynamic look. Some of the attributes that caught my attention were cork flooring, Alde H2O heating system, large rims and tires, attention to detail and craftsmanship, the Hehr crank out jalousie windows, and efficient use of what seems to be a small space. However I am not convinced of the dexter axels mounted straight to the body of the pod itself even though I know there is a reinforced floor/bottom. I have no doubt these will be head turners out on the roads and campgrounds.

I do agree with Steve however regarding the Oliver having just toured the factory a couple of weeks ago (and put down my deposit for one too) there was nothing about them that conveyed an institutional look to me, let alone hospital type of environment. But we all have our own aesthetic sensibilities which is ok.

Hopefully you will do very well with these campers Robert, certainly can't see any reason why not other than the rather steep price of admission. Very impressive.

rob
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #84

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Outlaw View Post
Just spent some time looking at the Nest website. All I can say is this is a very cool looking camper, well done indeed. Love the contemporary Euro styling, and aerodynamic look. Some of the attributes that caught my attention were cork flooring, Alde H2O heating system, large rims and tires, attention to detail and craftsmanship, the Hehr crank out jalousie windows, and efficient use of what seems to be a small space. However I am not convinced of the dexter axels mounted straight to the body of the pod itself even though I know there is a reinforced floor/bottom. I have no doubt these will be head turners out on the roads and campgrounds.

I do agree with Steve however regarding the Oliver having just toured the factory a couple of weeks ago (and put down my deposit for one too) there was nothing about them that conveyed an institutional look to me, let alone hospital type of environment. But we all have our own aesthetic sensibilities which is ok.

Hopefully you will do very well with these campers Robert, certainly can't see any reason why not other than the rather steep price of admission. Very impressive.

rob
Having done this procedure several times, I think this shows why the "steep price of admission" I assure you, Robert has way more invested in this project than you could ever imagine. I am totally impressed with his high quality and well researched, educated and well thought out design. He has an artists passion on this project and deserves lauds on even taking it on. His payoff will be every time he sees one on the road. He is building camping monuments that will last long after he is gone, and people will be on a forum somewhere discussing how to renovate these 40 years from now. I'm totally excited for you Robert, and I salute you, sir. Dave
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #85

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Registry
Just found this thread today, and I will definitely follow it. As someone who binge watches 'How it is Made', I can't wait for more!
Pat Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #86
Commercial Member

Registry
Thank you all for your very generous posts. I am personally gratified to see that our fundamental build philosophy of "design, quality and innovation" is being received positively.

It is true that our product will be more expensive than most FG trailer manufacturers that have preceded us. But Cadillacs cost more than Chevys. Even with that said, the Nest will still be less than the current, comparably-sized Airstream Sport 16. And I believe our price point will be comparable to that of the Oliver Legacy 17 when it was first launched several years ago.

The Nest will not be for everyone. And it won't meet everyone's expectations perfectly. But we're literally betting the farm that there will be enough folks out there that will appreciate it's beauty and features to want to buy one.

Fingers crossed!
Old 09-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #87

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Robert,

Boy I know your betting the farm on this one. Dollars flowing like Niagara Falls. It looks like you have a well thought out plan and execution of that plan. I'll bet you didn't see this one coming 10 years ago. Its impressive what can be done using modern manufacturing practice's. You have a great team in getting your molds done. I wouldn't want the nightmares you must be having. I wish the best for you guys and hope soon your nightmares move to happy dreams. I am honored that you are sharing this process with us mere mortals.
Wish you much success in your venture.

Steve
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #88

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Elite was more (post 47)(roof a/c standard) but The Oliver 17 classic was 17,500 when first launched with shower, permanent toilet. An amazing deal now that I look back on it with me crying at the keyboard here.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post346239

Do you have a price list/build-sheet for folks yet or is it too early still? You mentioned your first mold pull next week so I thought I would ask the mold sure looks sharp.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #89

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
The Nest will not be for everyone. And it won't meet everyone's expectations perfectly. But we're literally betting the farm that there will be enough folks out there that will appreciate it's beauty and features to want to buy one.

Fingers crossed!
It will be a select market, for discerning buyers, but I am pretty confident you will get to keep the farm with this trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #90

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
The Nest Caravan website is listing the standard version at $29,995. That is no doubt subject to adjustment. So, don't confuse this as being an entry-level trailer! But, what I see so far is really beautiful.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #91
Commercial Member

Registry
Thanks for the intel regarding Oliver Legacy Classic. Best to keep my facts straight and not make any unintended false claims! They sure did pack a lot of standard features into $17.5K.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #92
Commercial Member

Registry
As you may have read, the Nest features a "monocoque" design which requires no steel frame under the shell body. The nearly 2" thick shell floor will be reinforced with layers of various composite materials.

Custom brackets have been built to which the axle assembly will be fastened. These brackets will be mounted both vertically through the floor, and horizontally through the wheel well. (You'll notice that we designed a recess into the shell body to allow the brackets to nestle into a fixed position within the wheel well.)

For the prototypes, we have spec'd "Flex-Ride" axles with adjustable arms and 10" drums to accommodate our 16" wheels. We tested the fit of all the components on the lower shell "plug" this morning.

(True confessions: I messed up and ordered hubs with five lugs. Should be six. Oops!)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0615.JPG   IMG_0612.JPG  

IMG_0613.JPG  
Old 09-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #93

Trailer:
That looks a superb structural design, with the big bracket transferring loads straight into the sidewall of the trailer (far, far stronger than any metal frame).

Are you just bolting the bracket to the fender well or bonding it as well? It looks like a perfect example of where 3M 5200 sealant/adhesive would do a good job and yet allow the bracket to be replaced if it was ever necessary.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #94
Commercial Member

Registry
Thanks Andrew, for the note, and the tip.

My understanding is that we will use mechanical fasteners. However, I have passed your suggestion on to our fabricator. These guys have tons of experience building both aircraft and boats, so I'm sure they will have some thoughts about supplementing nuts and bolts with an appropriate adhesive.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #95

Registry
Now, that is a clean looking undercarriage.

Will the 3 water tanks all be inside, or will they (or at least the waste ones) be mounted underneath? I assume the sewer drains will be outside below, no?

I really do enjoy watching something like this come together. As exciting as it is for me, I image you must be stoked, seeing it all come together.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #96

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I love the nestles in the nest.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #97
Commercial Member

Registry
Jim, this may disappoint you (and maybe others) but the Nest will not feature on-board waste tanks. Perhaps controversial, but based upon research we conducted before we began designing, we decided to go along with the slight majority that preferred to keep things simple.

So, Nest will instead feature the design-award winning Thetford "Curve" porta-potty, and a gray water external tote.

Of course, should we get enough push-back, back to the drawing board!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #98

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I really love this thread. Actually educational for many of us.

To me there should be waste tanks.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #99

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I love the fact you dropped the tanks, in the winter they freeze and cause problems, and in the summer the simpler unit is better anyway (and for us we sometime move the toilet to a tent to keep the kids out of the trailer).

Also love the fact you dropped the metal frame, I have wondered why this is not common with composite trailers!

Beautiful Trailer, looking forward to reading more
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #100

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Jim, this may disappoint you (and maybe others) but the Nest will not feature on-board waste tanks. Perhaps controversial, but based upon research we conducted before we began designing, we decided to go along with the slight majority that preferred to keep things simple.

So, Nest will instead feature the design-award winning Thetford "Curve" porta-potty, and a gray water external tote.

Of course, should we get enough push-back, back to the drawing board!
Hey Robert, not really disappointed at all, just have to make my thinker work towards that direction. I do remember the cassette toilet now, and actually quite like that idea. Being off grid most of the time, it would actually be easier to deal with than a holding tank.

For grey water will there just be a garden hose connection then? Again with mostly boondocking, and unless I trailed the hose off behind the trailer somewhere, one would have to bring some kind of holding container along, which could be a bit of a hassle. Maybe an option for a grey water tank underneath (though that clean look is sure nice right now), or incorporated as a bottom layer in a cabinet???

Just some random thoughts. No doubt you have gone through all these many times already.

And