Nest Caravans — Building a new FG trailer, step by step - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #241

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Roger, was the 12 volt ref. You used a "danfoss" style compressor?
Dave & paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:44 PM   #242
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Thanks to all for playing at home! We will do what we can to comply with the general consensus:
1. Max space around the sink.
2. Pre-wire for an optional microwave.
3. Danfloss compressor 12vdc refrigerator. (No LP hassles, or ugly through-shell wall venting required!)
4. Pre-wire for solar power options.
5. Accommodate "light" cooking inside.

Thanks to "mtnwater" for the link to Isotherms.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:06 AM   #243

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Thanks to all for playing at home! We will do what we can to comply with the general consensus:
1. Max space around the sink.
2. Pre-wire for an optional microwave.
3. Danfloss compressor 12vdc refrigerator. (No LP hassles, or ugly through-shell wall venting required!)
4. Pre-wire for solar power options.
5. Accommodate "light" cooking inside.

Robert we should be thanking you for asking for our ideas/comments and you concidering and using some of them. Kind of makes me feel like we have had a small hand in this new design . As the moulded market is a pretty small market, long time moulded owners have a bunch of expirience with them and real world user time of what works and what really doesn't very well. No RV is going to be perfect for everyone but I think by asking for input from this market you're a big leg up with the Nest.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #244

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Our experience

1. We have a Cramer stove/sink combo.

Name:   Cramer stove sink.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  9.9 KB

Stove cover up.
In the morning, we have our toaster oven on the sink cover while heating water for tea on the far left burner.

Both covers up
When doing dishes, we heat water in our biggest pot over the front burner, pour part into the sink with detergent, wash the dishes in the sink and use the pot for rinsing.

2. We do breakfast, if the park doesn't provide coffee and bakery, which more are doing now.
We will heat soup, and make a meal occasionally.

3. I often thought a microwave would come in handy.

While looking for Cramer, I found this:

Compact Kitchen with Stove, Refrigerator, and Sink

Looks interesting

Name:   stove-refrigerator-sink.gif
Views: 429
Size:  30.0 KB

$823 where the Cramer is $709. But wonder if it could take RV duty

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #245

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
We have that same one, put in by Escape, and love it. The sink is just big enough to put our largest plates or pots in, the stove works good, but I will it was only a two burner, and heated water faster. Getting the extra counter space with lids closed is bonus.

I have never heard it called a Cramer though. It was originally a SMEV stove/hob combo, and now mostly referred to as a Dometic, as Dometic bought out SMEV. Maybe it is made by them, but allowed to be resold under another name?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #246
Commercial Member

Registry
Finally got our first set of molded fiberglass wheel well flares delivered and mounted to the trailer. Very happy with the the fit and finish, as well as the aesthetics. They look very cool!

Also, concurrently hand-fitting the interior with fixture templates. Measurements and calculations from these templates will be "digitized" by the cabinet maker for the programming to run their CNC cutting machine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0704.JPG   IMG_0709.jpg  

!!!IMG_0692.jpg  
Old 11-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #247

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm liking this more and more each day.......
Old 11-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #248

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Anything Robert does is a class act. I have seen two of Roberts trailer rebuilds. The trailers were better than the day they were made.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #249

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Those flares give a touch of elegance............
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #250

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
One more suggestion Robert (as if you need any more) can the Fulton jack be turned 90 degrees, this can allow more room at the tongue for clearance of tailgates.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #251
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
WOW!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #252

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post

Attachment 78743

Stove cover up.
In the morning, we have our toaster oven on the sink cover while heating water for tea on the far left burner.

Both covers up
When doing dishes, we heat water in our biggest pot over the front burner, pour part into the sink with detergent, wash the dishes in the sink and use the pot for rinsing.

2. We do breakfast, if the park doesn't provide coffee and bakery, which more are doing now.
We will heat soup, and make a meal occasionally.

3. I often thought a microwave would come in handy.

While looking for Cramer, I found this:

Compact Kitchen with Stove, Refrigerator, and Sink

Looks interesting

Attachment 78744

$823 where the Cramer is $709. But wonder if it could take RV duty
Does this unit come in a "left handed" version? That is, can you get it with the sink on the left?

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #253

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
There is one on Panther RV products, but the stove is e/w rather than n/s. NO cover:
Panther RV Products
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #254
Commercial Member

Registry
Thanks everybody. Really appreciate the feedback.

Jim, about the Fulton jack: I'll take a look, but because the jack and coupler are "mated" I believe the orientation is set as shown.

About the SMEV (now Dometic) products: Nest Caravans is an authorized Dometic reseller. Consequently, we have discovered that the product line is much more extensive in the international marketplace, but curiously, very limited here in the US.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #255

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
With the front windshield being proprietary, it will only be available from that one manufacturer correct?

Second, will it be glass or a polycarb type like some aircraft?

Last, about how much, approx, general ballpark, would a front replacement cost being a one off, if a customer had an angry rock head up that way? Thanks in advance.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #256
Commercial Member

Registry
Hi Ken, the Nest will come standard with all the latest RV technology, including force field protection from Van Allen Engineering. Unique to the industry, Van Allen Belts thwart incoming projectiles as well as those pesky gamma rays.

Seriously, we can't know what replacement units cost until we get into ordering quantities. Since we are still getting the prototypes together, our initial expenses for the windshields (including necessary tooling) is obviously a lot more than when we're in production and able to order several at a time. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #257

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
lock-up....

given all the different opinions expressed here about what should and shouldn't be IN the trailer....you might think about maybe offering a bare bones model....kinda like a house sold at "lock-up" stage....just doors, windows, roof....obviously our version whould also include exterior cladding....it might be a way of generating some revenue earlier...as well as getting the product "out there" faster

a new owner could park your beautiful trailer in his driveway and spend a year (or two) putting exactly what he wants in it....
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #258

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
given all the different opinions expressed here about what should and shouldn't be IN the trailer....you might think about maybe offering a bare bones model....kinda like a house sold at "lock-up" stage....just doors, windows, roof....obviously our version whould also include exterior cladding....it might be a way of generating some revenue earlier...as well as getting the product "out there" faster

a new owner could park your beautiful trailer in his driveway and spend a year (or two) putting exactly what he wants in it....

That's not a bad idea at all
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:16 AM   #259

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post

I can see where that would be a great idea down the line. We all know everyone has different levels of skills. Some are absolutely stellar.. others more "duct tape." Since Robert will be concerned about the reputation of his trailer manufacturing, it's doubtful he'd be willing to sell blanks right away. No way, he'd want someone to see this fabulous trailer with a Redneck interior and think it came from the factory that way.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #260

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
"No way, he'd want someone to see this fabulous trailer with a Redneck interior"

the other side of that coin would be that he completed/sold three or four "perfect, fabulous" trailers and ran out of money.....it's not like THAT has never happened before

finished, this trailer will retail for what??? 30K (?)....a bare bones version would still be a big chunk of change....I doubt that somebody that put out that amount of money could live with a plywood interior and a five gallon bucket for a head.....that might be true of somebody that picks up an old shell for a couple of grand....but hard to imagine in this situation....IMO anyway

one caveat could be "canabalizing" future sales....but given the price differential of fully completed to bare bones version we might be talking about two seperate, different markets entirely (ie the bare bones customer would never have considered buying a fully completed one in the first place...either because of price or equipment/lay-out not to his liking/preferences)
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote