Nest Caravans — Building a new FG trailer, step by step - Page 24 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #461

Name: Mo
Trailer: Still looking
Texas
The open counter top is genius; I've never seen a trailer with an area that could be used for prep space. This allows prep space for cooking that then converts to a counter to eat. Like!
June Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #462

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by catholiccamper View Post
I was looking at specs page...is there a black water tank?
There is no need. It uses a cassette toilet.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #463
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Well, Jim, true that there is no black water tank, but ours is not a cassette, but rather a Thetford "Curve" porta-potty.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #464

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Well, Jim, true that there is no black water tank, but ours is not a cassette, but rather a Thetford "Curve" porta-potty.
Sorry, I thought this model had a removable cassette to dump waste water. I really don't know much about it though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #465

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Sorry, I thought this model had a removable cassette to dump waste water. I really don't know much about it though.
Porta Potti Curve

Here's a bunch of reviews.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Thetford 92360 Porta Potti 550E Curve Portable Toilet

Note it has a 5 gallon black tank.

It's only not a cassette in name only. To me it looks like you pullout the bottom (waste rank in the manual) and dump it in a traditional toilet. A full tank weighs about 40 lbs.

file:///home/chronos/u-165403ddaec36180b6a037e7bd0da184369ee195/Downloads/PP%20Curve%20OM_92095A.pdf

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #466

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
To clear up some terminology

Porta Potty's are usually free standing and have a detachable lower section (black tank) that has to be removed and dumped. Usually requiring disassembly of the main components. They usually also depend on a fresh water holding tank in the upper 1/2 for flushing.

Cassette Toilets, are a fixed installation and have a small waste tank that is removed from an access port in the outside of the RV. They are often tied into the existing pressure water system of the RV for flushing

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #467

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Nest Caravans — Building a new FG trailer, step by step

Beautiful interior!
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #468

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Nest Caravans — Building a new FG trailer, step by step

I think not as handy as a Thetford cassette toilet. The curve apparently requires you to take the top off, set it out of the way and then carry the bottom to dump.

The cassette toilet stays put and you remove the waste tank via a small outside access door.

That outside access door could be a problem on a boat but it's very convenient in an RV.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #469

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
very nice...

lots and lots of good/great elements in there....I like the no visible drawer/cupboard hardware...just holes. Less weight and provides ventilation of storage areas.

a small detail... it would have been nice to choose a cooktop that would have been flusher with the counter top so that it could get covered/increase the available counter space when not in use. I'm not talking about a combo sink/cooktop (often seen) because I really like the big, deep sink (that's a "gotta have" IMO)...(pictured is an Origo non-press. alcohol cooktop in a boat as an example)

the choice of a pota-potty for the bathroom might work well for some but not for me....having said that it would not be too difficult to plumb a drain at the bottom of the waste tank and a length of pipe/bends under the trailer (near horizontal) to a regular slide gate valve and cap seen on most RVs....that horizontal length of pipe would also increase the black tanks capacity as a side benefit (capacity being on the small side as is)

and then I'd add a door to the bathroom...that is dead simple thing to do.
Attached Thumbnails
zgalley.jpg   Nest16b.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #470

Registry
My only experience with a Porta-Potty is from many years ago, and you took the whole thing to dump.

I really like this decision of Roberts to eliminate the black tank, as we mostly boondock, and it would be so much easier to just dump something portable, instead of finding a way to dump the black tank.

The grey tank is much easier to deal with. We usually just water some bushes in most areas we are at. The odd time we do bucket it to a disposal spot.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #471

Florida
Where's the door??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post

and then I'd add a door to the bathroom...that is dead simple thing to do.
Ginny's first comment "Where's the (bathroom" door?

I find the bathroom "black tank's" capacity small.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #472
Commercial Member

Registry
Of course there's a bathroom door! It's just folded out of the way in these shots to show the potty.

Yep, we chose not to include a black water tank. Not gonna work for everyone, and we get that. However, The Thetford Curve won a RVIA design award in 2012. Features an electric flush, mounts to a fixed plate on the floor, and has an appropriate and comfortable seat height. And you can sit on it while scrubbing the trail dirt from between your toes!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-06-2015, 09:27 PM   #473
Commercial Member

Registry
Actually, in photo #2 of post #451, you can see the wet bath enclosure doors just to the right of the green jacket hanging in the rear.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #474
Commercial Member

Registry
Sorry Norm, don't understand your comment about the capacity of the black tank. Again, we have no black tank. We do have a 20gal gray tank integrated under the shower.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:09 AM   #475

Florida
Black tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Sorry Norm, don't understand your comment about the capacity of the black tank. Again, we have no black tank. We do have a 20gal gray tank integrated under the shower.

The 'Curve' has a built in black tank... it has to go some where. I think 5 gallons is small for capacity.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-07-2015, 07:20 AM   #476

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The 'Curve' has a built in black tank... it has to go some where. I think 5 gallons is small for capacity.
The great advantage here though Norm, is that it can easily be dumped when it is full, not needing to be pulled up to a RV dump. 5 gallons would last us a few days, and even more if there were other washroom facilities available (other than the obvious of trees ).

Plus, I really like the fact of not having pipes hanging below the trailer, and the fact it would be no issue for cold weather use with the heat on inside.

But, we all have different needs and desires. No way to satisfy everyone's needs.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #477

Trailer: Home Built
Robert...after messing with custom designed and built from nothing things for resale to the public my whole life, I salute you and your achievement in this trailer. The amount of thought and gut that went into your trailer can only be appreciated when you think about the fact that you started with only a concept and have come to this point with all of the give and take that comes with function and design and then add in MONEY. You have to make some and someone has to dig up some to buy what you have for sale. Most people would look at a project like this and say they couldn't do it and never invest their most precious commodity....time...I believe you have done well, and the Nest will be a hit. I also believe that your artistry will continue to evolve as everything does and just get better. It is unbelievable to me at what level you are already at. It is superb and you should be immensely proud
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:28 AM   #478

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Now, back to your regularly scheduled program...... a new fiberglass trailer...
Old 04-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #479
Commercial Member

Registry
Thanks to those of you who are not completely "poopoo-ing" the inclusion of the Curve...

Old 04-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #480
Commercial Member

Registry
BTW, if any of you are considering actually placing an order for a Nest, and helping me get my new company off the ground, I'd be more than happy to put in whatever kind of toilet you want!