Nest Caravans — Building a new FG trailer, step by step - Page 26 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #501

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Minnesota
I also wish Robert great success with the Nest venture. It's a beautiful trailer. However, if indeed it's priced at $35k, it's too expensive for my budget. When I am ready to upgrade, my budget will be in the $15k - $22k range. Anyway, I need two separate sleeping areas - one for my wife and the dogs and one for me.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:55 PM   #502

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
So, I guess you will need two campers......
Old 05-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #503

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
Any one who knows Pat and Nancy and Snow and Boo understands their comment.

Dan
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:18 PM   #504

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Minnesota
I forgot to mention that last week camping several individuals commented on the Nest, so the word must be getting around.

Dan: you really do have one of the nicest Scamp layouts I have seen - prefect for for us. Maybe you should buy a new Nest and sell us your Scamp.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #505
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Expensive. Yes, admittedly so. But still $10K less than a comparably-sized Airstream. (The low-end of the market is already well covered.) Our shell manufacturing and construction methodologies are costly, but integral to the product's quality and strength. Plus, where we can, we are sourcing components and fixtures from outside the RV industry for their superior design and quality.

The Nest will not be for everyone. We understand that. But for too long most manufacturers have been selling the same stuff in slightly reconfigured packages. We are doing what we can to bring a little innovation and choice back to the industry. We're hoping some folks out there will appreciate our humble efforts.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #506

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thumbs up

Quality is worth $$$
Old 05-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #507

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
For what you offer Robert, I too think the value is there. I most definitely appreciate your thinking outside the industry norms to develop the Nest. Innovation seems to happen very slowly to many segments of this industry.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #508

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Robert,

First and foremost- this is the most "attractive" fiberglass trailer I've ever seen.

Out of curiosity (and if you've posted this forgive me) but I was wondering did you consider using the axles with "permanent sealed" (no lube) bearings? Having to pull the wheels/bearings EVERY year has always been an avoidable chore to me on a "recreational?" vehicle. But I DO understand that Dexter makes an axle with the "sealed" types of bearings I believe good for at least 50K Miles. Nice . Oh..and auto adjusting brakes would be a nice perk (option?). Not sure Dexter makes those on E-brakes though.

Love the trailer!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #509

Name: Frank
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
Very nice looking trailer. I have tried to read though most of this thread but maybe someone can answer for me. Was there any mention of "Air Conditioning" for this trailer? I really like the design but do not see any views that include an air conditioning unit. It also does not look like a unit would fit on the roof because of the stepped approach that makes up the roofline.
MTBFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:34 PM   #510
Commercial Member

Registry
We do offer A/C as an option, if the customer requires it. But frankly, we are not happy with how the A/C unit messes with the lines of our design. In other words, we think rooftop A/C units are really ugly...

Here's where we are in regards to Air Conditioning...
1) Rooftop-mounted A/C units use the same 14 x 14" cut-out that most vent/fans require. We designed the Nest's roof to accommodate an A/C unit where you now see our Maxx-Aire Deluxe vent/fan.

2) All A/C units require 110-120VAC, so you need "hook-up" service or a generator to run them.

3) We have not yet found a good, discreet alternative. But we're open to suggestions!
Old 05-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #511

Name: Frank
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
Agreed Robert, I hate messing up the lines of the trailer, it is a beautiful trailer. But I would also hate living in Florida without air conditioning.
MTBFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #512

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Still ugly, but not on the top...

The compressor is about 26" wide and 11" thick.Weight ~ 70 lbs.
Inside unit is 26 X 10 X 7" and about 15 lbs.
This is a 9000 btu heat pump 23 SEER.
About 7 amp load with an inverter drive to match the power to the load.
The system could be faired into a fiberglass trailer and I have thought about this, but for now I am going to incorporate the system into the front tongue box planned fro later.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #513

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
It has been very quiet on this thread lately. Any updates for us, Robert?

For A/C, if you live in a hot, humid area, rooftop is really the only viable solution, as it will be used all the time, and distributes the cold air the most efficiently. Low profile models aren't quite as ugly as the traditional ones.

But, for those of us who only use A/C occasionally, how about one of the Climate Right portable dog-house air conditioners? It can ride in the tow vehicle, and only get hooked up when needed.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:14 AM   #514
Commercial Member

Registry
Hi Paul, though we're not crazy about the look, rooftop AC will be an option.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #515
Commercial Member

Registry
So while I'm here, let me post an update:

Since the completion of our prototype and the launch of our initial and modest PR efforts, we have had lots of interest, but no buyers yet.

By a huge amount, the cost of the shell body is our largest expense. Though the "frameless" monocoque building methodology reduces weight, it adds significant costs ($5K) to the production. We initially thought that this construction would add long-term value to the trailer. But now we're wondering if that's important to folks.

I've been very open to your comments throughout this entire process. So I invite you all to weigh in here with your opinions regarding the "frame vs no frame" conversation.

Thanks.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
InTowSide2_big.jpg  
Old 06-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #516

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Frame

Robert,

What does the frame-less trailer weigh ready for travel or empty? How much weight incremental weight would a frame add.

Five thousand dollars is really a lot.. I assume that 's the marked up price, not the manufacturing cost.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #517

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would think the exchange rate is probably working for Escape right now. I computed the cost based on the current exchange rate and couldn't believe how a .25 adds up when multiplied by thousands!

I think the Nest is a beautiful and unique product. It would not be a fit for us but many of the units aren't. There is definitely a revival of the "retro" look and in smaller units. I wish them much success and hope that I get to see one some day.

I located the article: http://www.bendbulletin.com/business...re-road-ready#
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #518

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
We initially thought that this construction would add long-term value to the trailer. But now we're wondering if that's important to folks.
As I am never going to be in your target market, so I have not commented much in this thread. I will offer one observation. I own six Trillium trailers the oldest is a 1972? with an open C - Channel frame. In 43 years, the frame has not been an issue. That is a long term solution. You are adding $5000 to solve a problem that does not exist.

I somehow thought that your frame-less design would reduce cost. Clearly, I was wrong.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #519
Commercial Member

Registry
Yep, that $5K is actual manufacturing cost. The expense comes from the vacuum-infused process. The process required a more complicated mold, is labor intensive, and requires higher cost materials vs chopper gun.

The benefits of the infusion process are a stronger, less brittle end product, with better FG-to-resin proportions (65%/35%. The inverse of chopper gun!)
Old 06-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #520

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Robert, it certainly looks beautiful and integrated, very clean on the outside.

Is it the whole shell that's $5K more expensive, not just the frame-less design? What does the frame-less design save in weight - 300 lbs in frame weight?

Would saving the $5K require going to a 'chopper gun' shell?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote