New 19' Escape Trailer Coming Soon!!!! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
[quote]This plan is essentially an extended version of the 17' Escape. This will keep the door close to the front, keep large front and rear windows and offers a 4 person dinette. I'm leanin toward this one!
Reace

Attachment 15423

I like this one alot too...
especially if the rear bed area could become the "living room" and the front kept as the full time bed (course, we're smallish people)...The big living area would be nice for cold weather trips.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #42

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Tammy
Just joined the group - really like the 19" unit so far. Had the pleasure of guesting in a 17' unit and loved it but need the extra length and ht. you've proposed. Looking forward to seeing it develope [ need to have a unit for next summer].
Keath
Keath Seeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #43

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
5' bed with a 12" cabinet on either side. In my opinion, both are not practical or an efficient use of space
The 5' bed with flanking wardrobes is exactly what I'd like really. Gives two people each their own space for their things.

Here's an example for those who can't visualize it easily: (It's an Australian pop-top trailer)

Attached Thumbnails
walkaround_q.jpg  
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #44

Trailer: Aliner
Hi... first time poster here. But as a wannabe Escape owner, I felt I had to jump in and add my 2 cents worth -- since there is a chance someone is actually listening!!!

DH and my biggest concern is having a bed where we don't have to crawl over each other when we go to bed at different times or if we have to get up in the night to go to the bathroom.

That's a deal breaker with us on a trailer. We love the Escape Plan B because we can have our own beds, but don't like the idea of setting up and tearing down one of the dinettes to have a table during the day.

If you could come up with a plan that had either an island queen (or even double) or twin beds that we wouldn't have to unmake to have a dinette, it would be absolutely perfect for us.

We are looking at using it for several long trips a year, so comfortable sleeping is our major concern.

But, like everyone else, weight is a prime consideration. We really like the weight of the Plan B.

We would drive from Georgia to Chilliwack for the right trailer.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #45

Trailer: Scamp
if you need someone to demo the unit my wife and I have a family of three and would love a unit with a bunk over the dinett area also love the tandum axel and layout any idea on price yet of this great piece of work?

creedcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #46

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
My 'dream trailer' would have the permanent bed with a bunk directly over it. The main purpose of that is so no dinette-to-bed conversion would be taking place every night. I could work or relax at the dinette after my kid went to bed, then when I want to go to bed it's just there waiting for me.

That could sleep a min. of 3 (4 if children are quite young/small) without ever having to convert the dinette.
Add in the convertible dinette, and you've got room for 2 more to sleep.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 AM   #47

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe / 2006 Tundra V8
Quote:
I like this one.
I'm with you, Donna. This setup is optimal!!!!
Brenda Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 AM   #48

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I'm with you, Donna. This setup is optimal!!!!
Yeah Brenda, too cool. But like Reace said, that layout is several feet too long for everything that's there. Perfect for the 5th wheel, too much for the 19 footer.... I forgot about the tongue being included in the overall size which is standard practice in measuring.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #49

Trailer: Boler 1984
Mabee you can talk Reace into a 22 footer in the future.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #50

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

[quote]As always....looking for comments.

Reace and Tammy

Attachment 15412

Attachment 15413

Am I the only one who liked the original concept?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Nope, that's my "view" too. That design has focus. The galley and dinette work together. Would be terrific for a couple and workable with kid(s) (if there is a bunk option over the dinette). All the other concepts I've seen involve compromises that will satisfy some and not others.

My complaint about the "bathroom" being too far from the "bedroom" was in jest.

It works for me, but I can see the concerns of people who spend their time in full-service campgrounds. The view from the dinette would be the door and awning, chairs and bikes of your next door neighbor. Of course, the view out the back probably isn't much better.

baglo
Old 08-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #52

Quote:
What I want to know, though, is which way does the fridge door open? Can I reach a beer from the bed, or do I have to get up?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #53

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Nope, that's my "view" too. That design has focus. The galley and dinette work together. Would be terrific for a couple and workable with kid(s) (if there is a bunk option over the dinette). All the other concepts I've seen involve compromises that will satisfy some and not others.
I kinda think this way too. Maybe if the dinette and the galley could switch sides so the dinette looked out the street side where the view usually is.
Quote:
What I want to know, though, is which way does the fridge door open? Can I reach a beer from the bed, or do I have to get up?
The you would likely want a model without the bath, as you would need to keep a chamber pot under the bed so you don't have to leave it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Hi,

My wife Kathy and I are trying to decide on a new trailer. I'm new to this forum and have spoken with Tammy at Escape Trailers about the new 19 ft trailer. Right now, the Escape looks better to us than anything else we've looked at: Casita, Oliver, Bigfoot.

Quote:
HOWEVER... one of the factors that led to our choice of a 17' trailer was the length restriction that most U.S. (and perhaps Canadian?) state/national/county parks place on trailers in tent sites. A trailer that is 17' or shorter (rarely, 18' or shorter) can go into a tent site. Those that are longer must go into trailer sites. It's been our experience that tent sites are generally more beautiful, particularly in the national parks, than trailer sites.
We are seriously considering the 19 ft. But this point you make -- whether we will restrict ourselves from many camp sites because of the length -- is something that concerns me.

We *could* be OK in the smaller bed in the 17 ft, but would be happier with the queen bed in the 19 ft. The difference in the size of the dinette is not a factor. Towing weight and size are also not factors. So it's the queen bed in the 19 ft versus a smaller size and presumably more accessible camp sites in the 17 ft. The 19 ft also has the towing advantages of the tandem axles.

We don't have any experience trying to camp with an RV, we've always tent camped. When I do a web search, the length restrictions seem to be varied. I don't see anything that says "any tent space can also be used by a 17 or smaller trailer".

E. Graham, I'm sure you're right that this is sometimes the case. But do you or others have a feeling for how many camp grounds we'll lose out on, if we get the 19 ft versus the 17 ft? What's your experience?

I also have a question for Reace: Will the 19 ft have less ground clearance, because of the 13" tires? We would like to take our trailer on dirt roads in the desert and there are occasionally wash outs, so more clearance is a positive thing for us.

Thanks in advance,
--mark
Mark Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #55
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Mark,

I think if you like the 19 foot, get the 19 foot. I just don't think there are going to be many campsites that you will lose out on because you are two feet longer than a 17 foot! I even parked my 17 foot in a campsite at Bullards Beach SP Oregon that was listed for 16 foot and shorter.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #56

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the big trailers (sticks) measure the trailer not counting the tongue only the body for registered length and the Escape and other small molded units measure the trailer from the tongue to the rear bumper (to seem larger?). I don't have the brochures in front of me right now to compare measurements but if that is the case, the 19' could be considered a 17' for those occasions.
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #57

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the big trailers (sticks) measure the trailer not counting the tongue only the body [b]for registered length and the Escape and other small molded units measure the trailer from the tongue to the rear bumper (to seem larger?).
I think that some stick built trailer manufacturers measure only the body length, and not the frame (including the hitch) length, because they also manufacture Mobile Homes, a.k.a. Manufactured Homes, which remove their hitches and running gear once they are set up, seldom to be moved again.

The historically accurate way to measure trailer length included the tongue. My trailer's registration does not specifically list it's length. The California Vehicle Code draws a line between two codes (Cmp & Cch) and the law specifically cites length as a determining factor. This previous discussion: Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) spoke about who does, and who does not qualify for PTI plates in California. Other government jurisdictions have different rules.

However, the question is moot above 16' (including the hitch) so we get to live with the confusion...
Old 09-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #58

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the big trailers (sticks) measure the trailer not counting the tongue only the body for registered length and the Escape and other small molded units measure the trailer from the tongue to the rear bumper (to seem larger?). I don't have the brochures in front of me right now to compare measurements but if that is the case, the 19' could be considered a 17' for those occasions.
I think they all include the tongue in the listed length. The Rockwood we owned for 3 years was a "23 footer" but the body was only 20'.

That Rockwood had a layout very similar to the "stretch Casita" concept mentioned in this thread. We really liked the walkaround queen bed with closets on either side. But after all, it was a 23 footer! I don't suppose we can expect that in a short trailer. I suppose this doesn't really relate to the new 19' model in particular, but it seems like the next best thing to a walkaround queen would be a set of bunk beds. I'm thinking bunks up front, regular twin mattress size, with the sitting area at the rear and plenty of glass around the back (like the front of an old Argosy, those wraparound windows). I wonder if it's possible to do those windows with a FG trailer? And would one spouse be willing to climb into a top bunk if it meant not having to crawl over (or be crawled over)?

Mike
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #59

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Reace, I think it's perfect but I am some annoyed. All this time I was plotting and planning for retirement and our new Escape 5th wheel . . . . and now I have to choose. That's not fair.
Congrats on the design and thanks for listening to the folks on the forum who asked for something a little bigger. You listened and did something about it, and for that we all owe you a debt of gratitude.
I'd say keep up the good work, but I don't want to face any MORE decisions.
cheer
Ian

Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:06 AM   #60

Quote:
And would one spouse be willing to climb into a top bunk if it meant not having to crawl over (or be crawled over)?Mike
Maybe Reace and Tammy can come up with a two bedroom model? That would be perfect.

baglo

Tags
escape