New, Build it Yourself, Fiberglass Camper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2020, 01:57 PM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: Hooga
North Carolina
New, Build it Yourself, Fiberglass Camper?

Hopefully this is an acceptable thread, please remove it if it is not.

We have a new concept for the outdoor Camper and DIY enthusiast and we are looking for your feed back. We recently purchase all of the old molds that Parkliner was using to produce their 1st generation 12' fiberglass camper trailer. We are currently in the process of manufacturing these trailers, but not in the same manner as Parkliner was. We are using the outside shell molds, laying them up with integrated CNC cut wood interior studs, no seam between the top and bottom fiberglass shells, modified the chassis and floor, changed the door opening so it will accept a standard RV door (The previous Parkliner door was not great). We are planning to sell some as just a "roller chassis", where it would be the fiberglass shell, wood studs and brand new chassis where the customer can complete the build out on their own as you might do with a van. Who needs a $40,000 van anyway? We are offering different levels of "completeness" per the customers request. We will also be selling pre cut CNC plywood cabinets and interior components to assist with your build out. prices will start around $9500 for a brand new roller.
We have all of the molds to make the previous Parkliner fiberglass interiors, but we do not plan on using them to make parts unless it is for a "one off" part requested by a customer. We are excited to get going. As you can see Hooga Camper #1 is coming along and will be ready soon! What do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
20201030_160732.jpg   Hooga Camper B.jpg  

Inside C.jpg   Inside D.jpg  

Hooga Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:19 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
What do you all think?
Welcome to the forum.

While I'm not in the market anymore, there was a time when I thought I wanted to outfit a shell. I looked at aluminum cargo trailers but wasn't confident of the ability to keep them sealed from water intrusion.

If I were in the market now, I'd want to know if the ribs all needed to stay or some could be selectively removed or cut to accommodate larger windows, appliances, etc.

I'd probably also want to know if I could have some cad files for the shell and/or ribs so I could work with all the compound curves as I think those would be challenging.

Some folks would probably want to know if they could mount rooftop air conditioning.

I expect you might also want to post on TNTTT where there are a lot of folks who build their own trailers.

Also, I'm not sure how the Hooga name will be received.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #3

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Welcome to the forum.

While I'm not in the market anymore, there was a time when I thought I wanted to outfit a shell. I looked at aluminum cargo trailers but wasn't confident of the ability to keep them sealed from water intrusion.

If I were in the market now, I'd want to know if the ribs all needed to stay or some could be selectively removed or cut to accommodate larger windows, appliances, etc.

I'd probably also want to know if I could have some cad files for the shell and/or ribs so I could work with all the compound curves as I think those would be challenging.

Some folks would probably want to know if they could mount rooftop air conditioning.

I expect you might also want to post on TNTTT where there are a lot of folks who build their own trailers.

Also, I'm not sure how the Hooga name will be received.
Thank you for the kind welcome. Yes, you can remove the ribs as needed. Yes, we have CAD files of the shells. Yes, you can mount roof top air conditioning.

What is the issue with the name Hooga?

Thank you for your questions and input!
Old 11-30-2020, 07:04 PM   #4

Name: Steven
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
I like the idea, though I wouldn't pay that much for an empty shell. Keep in mind you have to compete with a fully built scamp for ~$13,000 (and empty cargo trailers for $2,000) Could I outfit one of these for less than $3,000? Maybe. But is it worth the effort, time, and potential failure- probably not.

Just my two cents. If you offer a camper with small bath, kitchen & bed, I'd certainly consider it!
Steve_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Interesting
Where are you mfg these ?
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Interesting
Where are you mfg these ?
Winston Salem, NC
Old 11-30-2020, 08:02 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
FYI, I believe you should register on this forum as a Commercial member. Not sure what that entails.
Hope you have some sort of interesting story behind the name Hooga, because it does nothing for me.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
I like the idea, though I wouldn't pay that much for an empty shell. Keep in mind you have to compete with a fully built scamp for ~$13,000 (and empty cargo trailers for $2,000) Could I outfit one of these for less than $3,000? Maybe. But is it worth the effort, time, and potential failure- probably not.

Just my two cents. If you offer a camper with small bath, kitchen & bed, I'd certainly consider it!
The closest size trailer would be Scamps 16 ft trailer. I believe base price is closer to $18,000.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:42 PM   #9

North Carolina
hyg·ge
/ˈh(y)o͞oɡə,ˈho͝oɡə/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: hygge
a quality of coziness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture).
"why not follow the Danish example and bring more hygge into your daily life?"
Origin

Pronounced "Hooga"

I mean, lets get real.... SCAMP? That name took some courage too lol.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:51 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This is the closest I found:
Hoogar (or Hugar) is the name given to an endogamous community of Lingayat people living in Karnataka, in southwest India. The traditional profession of the Hoogars was to grow, gather and sell flowers. "Hoogar" means "those who sell flowers" or "a person who makes flower garlands".[1]in the Kannada language.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:33 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
In 2013 I priced a 7' wide V-Nose Triton Prestige cargo trailer that was 16' interior length (excluding the V-Nose) and 84" (7') interior height.

It came to an MSRP of $14,317 with delivery. It included a door, a step, a lighted grab handle, four stabilizers, a spare tire and shipping.

It also had basic lighting. It had a torsion axle, but I forgot to add the optional electric brakes to the quote.

A 7 X 16 Interstate Tandem Axle Pro Series Cargo was listed at the time for $12,350 in Colorado; no delivery included at that price. That model had a pretty good warranty, at least on paper, including lifetime on the roof.

So, a fiberglass shell as nice as this with a good steel frame is certainly worth something. I presume it would include a door and lights for towing.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:03 PM   #12

Name: Lisa
Trailer: in the market
Florida
I would be very interested in the concept, though the price point is too high for me personally for just a trailer and shell. Especially since the first of us would be trailblazing, running the risk of making a structural mistake that later builders would know to avoid.

I really do like the idea and wish you much, much success. I may even be a buyer in the future! I just couldn't possibly spend that amount of money for just a shell as an early adopter.
hopefulhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:20 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I'm happy with my Trillium. But I do find the idea appealing. The fact that interior furniture is not required to support the shell makes the interior layout wide open. Obtaining windows would be the sticking point for me. Without the discount a manufacturer gets, purchase and delivery of windows could be very expensive. Still if you have the skills, you can get exactly what you want. We have at least one member who did exactly this using a Lil Snoozy shell and did a beautiful job.

Have you thought about using something other than plywood for the floor. For me, the additional cost would be well worth it.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:56 AM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Have you thought about using something other than plywood for the floor. For me, the additional cost would be well worth it.
Yes. We are going to use a composite floor for some builds. This first build we are using Plywood, but the bottom is wrapped in fiberglass and the interior surface will be sealed as well.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:59 AM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Sounds like a great idea. I am glad you worked in a normal door. After owning a Burro and a Uhaul VT, it was nice to be able to have a standard RV door installed in our Bigfoot Silver Cloud.
This would really provide an outlet for the creativity of some people.

I wish you the best.

CindyL

P.S. Being married to a half-Dane, I have no issue with the name.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
$9500 for a complete rolling shell sounds about right. I think Relic charges around $15K for theirs with windows and paint. It’s a bit smaller but uses a more complex mold.

I don’t think they sell many as rolling shells, nor does Lil Snoozy. Most customers want a ready-to-use camper. Without that option your potential market will be very limited.

I think you may find it a tough sell in the van-life community. You don’t have to buy a $40K van, but you do need a tow vehicle with a rating in the 3500# range. The vehicle plus the rolling shell will end up around the same as a bare van, and with a trailer you give up the stealth parking option.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I like the concept but I prefer the Snoozy structure. The double hull shell requires no additional structural support and you can screw stuff to the walls without puncturing the outer shell. There is no wood in the floor. The trailer is welded, hot dipped galvanized.

In addition to the empty shell on a trailer, I have over $11,000 in my Lil Snoozy build.

Cassette toilet, 30 gallon water tanks, propex heater, plywood, insulation, windows, fridge, stove sink and fixtures, adhesives, LFP battery, charger, solar charger, electrical components, plumbing component, hatches, bed.

All one off purchases. Manufacturers purchase these items at wholesale prices so much less expensive.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #18

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
An empty shell will have a very limited market. I suppose if you keep your costs down and are willing to accept a production of a couple of hundred or less per year it may be feasible. Not much of a profit in this venture that I can see. Hooga as a name might catch on...but I thought "Amazon" was a very odd name for a fulfillment company...and don't even get me started on "Google".
Old 12-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #19

Name: Ron
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Interested

What is the weight. Where are you located
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooga Campers View Post
Hopefully this is an acceptable thread, please remove it if it is not.

We have a new concept for the outdoor Camper and DIY enthusiast and we are looking for your feed back. We recently purchase all of the old molds that Parkliner was using to produce their 1st generation 12' fiberglass camper trailer. We are currently in the process of manufacturing these trailers, but not in the same manner as Parkliner was. We are using the outside shell molds, laying them up with integrated CNC cut wood interior studs, no seam between the top and bottom fiberglass shells, modified the chassis and floor, changed the door opening so it will accept a standard RV door (The previous Parkliner door was not great). We are planning to sell some as just a "roller chassis", where it would be the fiberglass shell, wood studs and brand new chassis where the customer can complete the build out on their own as you might do with a van. Who needs a $40,000 van anyway? We are offering different levels of "completeness" per the customers request. We will also be selling pre cut CNC plywood cabinets and interior components to assist with your build out. prices will start around $9500 for a brand new roller.
We have all of the molds to make the previous Parkliner fiberglass interiors, but we do not plan on using them to make parts unless it is for a "one off" part requested by a customer. We are excited to get going. As you can see Hooga Camper #1 is coming along and will be ready soon! What do you all think?
roneater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Its Google, I thought is was Goo Goo.