New, Build it Yourself, Fiberglass Camper? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #41

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
ROFL. Scamp, in fact NONE of the all molded manufacturers, 'Dicker.' They're selling every trailer they can produce and right now they're all out at least a year to deliver a trailer. Nice thought though. If you want to dicker, try a sticky sales lot.
That's odd. They were willing to dicker when I went to the factory. They had one that was ordered but the purchase fell through. After inspecting the Scamp I decided to buy a Casita.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #42

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
That's odd. They were willing to dicker when I went to the factory. They had one that was ordered but the purchase fell through. After inspecting the Scamp I decided to buy a Casita.
And when was that? I see your profile says Bigfoot. They give everyone who's in the manufacturing cue a chance at any trailer on the lot where the purchase fell through. Right now, the soonest you can get a trailer from Scamp is spring of 2022 and the deluxe versions are out even further.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #43

Name: Hersh
Trailer: Wonderfully interested
Oregon
I love this comment... my son and I tried for 8 months to agree to a name for a company we thought we would set up. After 8 months of back and forth we tired of each other and pursued other interests rather than hash the name any longer. Some things are not meant to happen!!!
Hersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:28 PM   #44

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballCamper View Post
I think it's pretty neat, but probably not a large market. I suspect that someone interested in completing a shell would be just as comfortable renovating an old shell that could be had for much cheaper. I suppose doing your own windows would be an advantage to your shell. I would suggest developing some modular interior components that users could move around, along the lines of the Lovesac couches. Then you'll have a bigger market.

I think the renovation thing is really very much on target
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #45

Name: Tom
Trailer: 13' Scamp 2003
California
Brilliant idea

I think this will be a hit. I have a 13’ Scamp and I have built a few vans and trailers, so I may be a bit bias.
I think you would have many options for marketing. From plans to kits, to modules like a kitchen or solar system to conducting small class workshops where customers get guidance and access to tools for a week or two and roll away with a functional camper. You could partner with some of the many van builders so customers could have guidance close to home.

Lots of luck!
tweistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #46

Indiana
Actually if you were closer to me we might talk about what you could do with this idea. There are a lot of other options besides a camping trailer.

But in the end I think the idea of a shell is probably never going to fly at the prices you would have to charge to make a profit. Now as has been indicated here you might have a good chance at some kind of kit or set of kits. Basically you sell a camper with the main internals installed such as general plumbing and electrical. Or maybe sell the unit with the stuff to make that happen. And maybe a check mark sheet of what you might need. Should sell with the door for sure.

You say you have the other molds for the internals. Have good information on each one and a good cad file of the insides of the shell. Have people have the option of having it come with the various internals uninstalled. And a cad file would let them figure out what they would want to do and what it would take to do it. Have various tanks available. Find good sources for the major items such as a frig and the furnace and hot water heater. Have some electrical options. I might research some options from power steam lund engineering for a coverter.

There will be some people willing to pay full freight for a unit they can build themselves. But those people will want to have the item come with a good start on wht they would need to get what they want.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:18 PM   #47

Name: Steven
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfbrand3rd View Post
Where are you buying a new Scamp for $13K? Sign me up for that one!
That's just how much they sell them for. They aren't very expensive. They don't negotiate on prices.
Attached Thumbnails
SmartSelect_20201205-200812_Drive.jpg  
Steve_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:31 PM   #48

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
That's just how much they sell them for. They aren't very expensive. They don't negotiate on prices.

Well from what I can tell you are 90% right. As the other guy commented if they have one that was special ordered and then the order fell through they do seem to make deals. which kind of makes sense. Actually from what I have seen on here it appears that what you generally can get is the special order one with extras for the price without those extras os something close to it.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #49

Name: Matt
Trailer: CTC 6x12
Arkansas
Welcome Hooga!

Thank you for trying something new in the rv market. The rv industry needs much much more new thinking and design in many ways...

I will definitely look into your company offerings.

I am a small diy camper for over 10 years now. I started with a teardrop and moved up to a 6x12 cargo trailer (my wife was claustrophobic in the TD). The TNTT website and camping with "Tearjerkers" community has taught me many things and introduced loads of wisdom to camp small.

Good luck with everything and I think your name is cool!
matt.flynn.7731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #50

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMinBako View Post
Think it's great idea. For me, it would be even better if it could be extended to a 17-18 ft long box.
Or 19 would be my preference as well, but I wonder if the shorter length might be more appropriate for the do-it-yourself crowd.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #51

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
I do see a bigger nitch maybe for a nice camper, but with the ability to haul some light cargo. Maybe even if you have to balance it a bit. See my extreme example above. But it would be cool to have say about 2 foot of cargo space front and back of the camper part, with enough chassis so that could add say 500-800 pounds of weight.
I like this idea a lot. The storage deck is something I used to see when I was looking at various trailers years ago before we firmed up our commitment to molded fiberglass.

As we don't tow with a pickup, I struggled with the Casita's limited storage including a lack of exterior storage to accommodate towing gear, lawn chairs, a pop-up canopy, bicycles, etc. I even spent time evaluating the weight distribution to move the spare tire underneath and add structural extensions to the front and back of the frame.

In the end, we opted for the larger Escape 21. The tongue box has helped address the storage for tow gear. Now, as I am researching eBikes, I am considering a dual-receiver arrangement on the back to accommodate additional storage, similar to what Jim Bennett did with his 5.0 TA.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I like this idea a lot. The storage deck is something I used to see when I was looking at various trailers years ago before we firmed up our commitment to molded fiberglass.

For your consideration.
Attached Thumbnails
Sundeck.jpg  
Old 12-06-2020, 12:59 PM   #53

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
For your consideration.
Yes, outlandish comes in many flavors, that being more precisely defined as anything any larger or smaller than what we would personally do. Of course, that in turn makes each of our individual choices outlandish when viewed from another's perspective. I'm comfortable with that.

While I internally rebel against moving away from purely muscle-powered pedaling, I am looking into eBikes to facilitate continued enjoyment of cycling while mitigating the consequences of arthritis and other chronic conditions.

eBikes are generally very heavy. We currently keep our folding bikes in the back of the SUV, which keeps them dry and secure and also facilitates taking them to where we can access dedicated trails and such. So, in the end, I'll probably find some means to keep them in the tow vehicle.

In fact, for the near-term, I'll likely forgo adding a motor to the mix and just gear them down to make pedaling easier. But, as it becomes more and more difficult to pedal, I anticipate that I'd rather eBike than not at all. So, I continue to consider the many outlandish options that our first-world lives present.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #54

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #55

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
As we don't tow with a pickup, I struggle with the Casita's limited storage including a lack of exterior storage to accommodate towing gear, lawn chairs, a pop-up canopy, bicycles, etc. I even spent time evaluating the weight distribution to move the spare tire underneath and add structural extensions to the front and back of the frame.

well one thing that is almost always available on the next step up is storage which is available from the outside for the outside things. You know like the hoses and electrical cords. Just that would be a big help.

Something I would love to see is a frig that is accessable from both inside and outside.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #56

Name: corvetteguy
Trailer: Casita
Virginia
Sell me the shell and have a complete menu of parts that can be ordered from you at a price that would be better than what I could buy it for. The completed cost should be less than a new identical Casita or Scamp since I supply the labor but in reality I don't think this would be possible. I remember Heathkits. As a do it your self fer growing up I would drool over the Heathkit catalog. The only problem was even though I supplied the labor and put it together the kits were priced the same or higher than what a fully assembled item tended to be and I had to take the risk of whether my assembly of the Heathkit would work when completed.

As others have stated I can't see a big enough market that would make it very profitable. There are very few people these days that have the time, money, and skill to put together a really quality custom trailer equal to what they can buy already completed. To me it would be a very expensive risk with a lot of potential pitfalls ie., what if my custom build is not balanced right and on the first trip the trailer weaves so much it causes an accident?
garyhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #57

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
New Clean slate F.G.

Hooga Campers
If I was in the market for a project camper I would like it. With that I'm betting that if you advertise it right your company should be able to sell them bare shell and maybe base model with just insulation and basic wiring done. You might plan on some with a heavy duty trailer frames that could open doors for commercial version line too. Think of the companies installing fiber optic cable, they have to have a portable "clean room" for splicing that's climate controlled. Not a big market but one that is out there. Now if that works out for you just remember me.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:48 PM   #58

Name: Lester
Trailer: Currently shopping
ID
I am interested

Hi.
I saw your post on empty shell fiberglass camper trailers. Could I get specs on your line with pricing?

I have a 2022 Outback Limited (200 pounds hitch, 2700 pounds max) and am looking for something I can tow and live in for awhile. I am planning my purchase for late next year, following a 48 state tour of the US. Will be ending the trip in Massachusetts and would then stop by to pick it up on my way to Tucson where I will be settling down for awhile.

What I saw is exactly what the doctor ordered and I have a friend with a 2020 Outback who is looking to do the same thing. Cash purchases in both cases.

Thanks!
Lester Churchill
Hichidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 02:57 PM   #59

Indiana
Did this actually get going?