New Cadet Owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 Cadet
I'm new here, been camping since I was a kid. Graduated from tent camping to tent trailer with my parents, then went back to tenting it. Have since grown tires of sleeping on the damp ground, so initally looked at building a teardrop trailer (still might, I have an extra rolling frame from a old Bellevue Tent Trailer).
Recently browsing the local classified ads and came accross a 1986 Cadet, emailed the seller and got a couple of pics. I then emailed him again asking more questions (since he was 35 min away) to guage the condition before looking at it. He never responded, and the ad was pulled. So I thought he had sold it, then this past week it was up again with pics, so I went to look at it.

Overall it's in pretty good shape (pics in the link..) with a few issues. THe back window isn't original, front one is cracked and on of the side windows has also been replaced.... and inside he just covered the walls/floor with carpet and vinyl flooring so the small cupboards don't open they get caught on the new vinyl.
But it doesn't leak, and it poured here today. My plan is to gut it and replace it with a simple floorplan, bed in the back and some storage on the sides and maybe seating at the front.

The fiberglass will need attention soon (see pics), so I might try doing the bodywork myself (just to get it campable).

That's it for now, I'll update as I go along,

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x100/ke...y/1986%20CADET/
Kenny H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Its cute, I will enjoy following its story!

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #3

Added some more pics in my album; still have some more gutting to do to see where I'm at......then I'll be storing it for the winter at my mom's.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #4

Trailer: Cadet
Newbe here too. I also have a Cadet and love it. I've had it for about 6 years. The first time I used it though, a bird flew into it and broke the front window. I've been searching for a replacement ever since! Ice fell on and broke the back one last year! There's a manufacturer in Europe with the exact same trailer but they never answered an inquiry I sent. Of course I don't speak Dutch so that could be why!!
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...l%3Den%26sa%3DX

Best of luck with your rebuild! They are great!

Holly
Holly,S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Compact Jr
Kenny,
Hello again from the other forum. Looks like you have been busy tearing things apart. I have been doing the same to my Compact Jr. I have everything torn out, and now down to the floor bolts. Good luck on your rebuild!
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Kenny, that quite a project you have there! I always loved the little Cadets and will enjoy seeing what you do with it.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #7

Well, I got my West System order........(partial order free shipping over $100) and got the box off the trailer (had to use an angle grinder and cut the siezed bolts off) and proceeded to dimantle it. I plan on reinforcing it (and adding a back) to make it watertight, since I plan on using it for my Battery (with a vent...) and electrical panel.
It was basically a gut job anyway, the watertank was there but I wouldn't use it...
So I plan on washing it down and trying my hand a patching the various holes and adding a back and an extra layer or 2 on the bottom/edges and the hinge area.

I've added a couple pics in my bucket album

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x100/ke...y/1986%20CADET/

Tags
cadet