New camper found - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #1

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
New camper found

Has anyone checked out Nestegg, LLC. Its a new molded fiberglass tear drop. It looks like a nice trailer, weighs around 700 lb. Just want to see what other people think about it.
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Your link took me to a landing page. Did you mean this one? Nest Egg Trailers - Welcome

I suppose it would depend on your camping needs. I like standing up, inside, to put my pants on. Having the ability to eat inside when the weather or bugs is less than stellar. And, having a place to cook inside if necessary. All things not doable in a true teardrop of any kind. Our weather in the Pacific NorthWET is never dependable enough to just want a dry place to sleep.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
are you sure about the link? I clicked and got a hardware and contract computer services company . . .
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura June View Post
Has anyone checked out Nestegg, LLC. Its a new molded fiberglass tear drop. It looks like a nice trailer, weighs around 700 lb. Just want to see what other people think about it.

I clicked on the above link.....sorry but it does not look to me like a camper sight......here is what it says under the header

everyone needs a nestegg

Contract hardware and softwear engineering services

Looked at the whole sight was NOT about campers
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #5

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Your link took me to a landing page. Did you mean this one? Nest Egg Trailers - Welcome

I suppose it would depend on your camping needs. I like standing up, inside, to put my pants on. Having the ability to eat inside when the weather or bugs is less than stellar. And, having a place to cook inside if necessary. All things not doable in a true teardrop of any kind. Our weather in the Pacific NorthWET is never dependable enough to just want a dry place to sleep.

YMMV
Ok looked at this sight ....In my younger days I would have enjoyed this camper very much.

At the age and health I am now I will have to agree with Donna D.Except here on the Tx Gulf Coast would also need to be able to get out of the heat for a little while each day.

Good find for a young single person or couple
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #6

Iowa
The link was nesteggtrailer.com. For some reason they changed it after I typed it in.
Hope it doesn't do it again.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A queen size bed Is there such a thing as bed envy? I see made from "composite materials", a molded sink, and a molded ice chest. Does composite materials mean molded fiberglass? If so, are the sink and the ice chest gel coat? I hope not. No wood is a plus. It says "standard options"? Sounds like an oxymoron to me. At $9k it seems a little pricey but it looks well made. Thanks to Laura for the post. Its fun to window shop. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I once said that "Teardrops are like Gateway Drugs for Real FGRV's".

Not to nit-pick but, at 700 or 800 lbs it seems a bit heavy and with only a 1000 lb axle it's gonna be very close to or over GVW all of the time.
And for $9K, unless you want minimalist camping, you can buy a lot of nice used FGRV's for that kind of money.
There are at least 3 other builders of teardrops in SoCal and, if you haven't looked at one, do so, you will appreciate your 13'er all the more.
My s.o. insisted on looking at a teardrop before we bought her 1st SCAMP, one look and we were off that kick. All that said, it may offer an attractive alternative for those who are offended by larger(?) trailers or have a vetry small TV (Think Fiat 500/Smart for 2) or who are lost in the 30's. Theres always a market for quaint, until you get one.
Some here may remember I was looking at buying up and building about a dozen American Teardrops about 2 years ago, but for sale, not for moi.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a 1946 teardrop that weighs 650lb, but it's aluminum, and we have the '84 Uhaul. Which one we use depends on where we are going. The Uhaul is more comfortable, but the teardrop is more fun. Total investment for both is about $4000, which includes purchase price and repairs. I would say we are more lost in the 60's or 70's than the 30's since we were born in the 40's. If I had to give up one it would be the Uhaul as that is easier to replace.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #10

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I understand the attraction that teardrops offer to some people - I would have liked one when we were younger. Now I like to be able to stand up to dress - and have sufficient storage space for the extra gear we carry as we age.

Does anyone know exactly what these are made of? What is 'highly engineered composite material'? I doubt that they mean fibreglass or they would say so.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
For a molded fg teardrop that you can stand up in, don't forget the Eggcamper's smaller sibling, Teardropp.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #12

Iowa
I would say I have to agree that the 13' scamp would be more to my liking if I wanted to go really small. I thought it did look interesting when I found it on Ebay. I have tear seen the teardrop that egg camper makes. That is also a neat little camper.