New Escape 5 owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #1

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
New Escape 5 owner

I am happy to report I've been able to sell my 2002 19' Scamp to a fellow up the road and am now the happy owner of a 2016 Escape 5. The trailer was in Abbotsford, BC, about three miles from the US Border crossing at Sumas, WA. A friend drove out with me to pick it up and we are in Montana, headed home to North Carolina.

I cannot begin to describe the gyrations I went through to get this trailer across the border during COVID. If I'd bought it new, there would have been no problem, but negotiating a private sale, hiring a broker (who was either two busy to answer the phone or proofread documents), finding a commercial trucker to bring it across AND jumping through documentation hoops for the state of North Carolina, it's been an adventure and not a nice one. The sellers were wonderfully helpful and the US Customs agents were as well as was the lady at the local NCDOT office but the process to coordinate all this was hell. Fortunately, the trailer was worth it. I loved my Scamp for its simplicity, but age and COVID, I needed a better bath and more storage.

So I'll be asking Escape questions as we get acquainted. ALWAYS glad for the good advice from this crowd!
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Jean, congratulations! I've owned my 5.0TA for six glorious years now. While there's some Escape trailer owners that pop in here, I'd strongly suggest joining the EscapeForum. Nice to have a forum dedicated to a particular brand.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Congratulations
You have done something that not heard of anyone else even attempting at this time. You can be proud of yourself and I know you’ll have some great times in your new Escape.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I wonder if buying in Canada & importing to the US has become more difficult, or if it was because the trailer was Canadian made.

In 2015 a friend imported a Scamp from Ontario to NY. No broker, filled out the paperwork at a Canadian DMV equivalent, and at the border, then registered the trailer at the nearest NY DMV. Did it all in about 4 hours one afternoon.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Congaratz...

Hi: Weavery... In time all the "Gyrations" and "Hoops" you jumped through will be a distant memory. You will be able to revell in the present pleasure of your great Escape!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1050109.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I wonder if buying in Canada & importing to the US has become more difficult, or if it was because the trailer was Canadian made.

In 2015 a friend imported a Scamp from Ontario to NY. No broker, filled out the paperwork at a Canadian DMV equivalent, and at the border, then registered the trailer at the nearest NY DMV. Did it all in about 4 hours one afternoon.
The problem now is- you can't go across the border yourself to get it. So you have to have someone who can import it for you. I had no problems almost 4 years ago bringing mine across myself- but I was able to go get it!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #7

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
Yes, the problem was COVID

Yes, the problem importing the trailer was a combination of COVID and a private sale. If I had purchased from the factory, they would have done the paperwork, charged me less than $200 and brought it across the border (Sumas, WA is about 30 miles from the factory).

Right now, only commercial traffic is allowed across the border, hence about $1100 in fees to hire a broker and a commercial trucker to drive it to Sumas (from a private seller about 3 miles from the border). The broker made a typo in the VIN, the trucker wasn't familiar with the forms he needed and didn't bring them all with him, and the state of NC has their own litany of forms required to register the thing, but it all has ended well--at least as far as I have driven it (Montana). I hope to be home in a week.

The customs agents were really great. They insisted it be done right but also made it clear they would help any way they could. The broker did correct the forms problem quickly but the whole process still took about 2.5 anxious hours at the border. And yes, I look forward to many happy hours in my new girl.

And I will also join the Escape forum, tho I will not leave you all, you've been way too much help as I've learned my new hobby.

I keep a blog of my travels for the family that sold me the Scamp. You can follow the details at almostintrepid.blogspot.com

Jean
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Hi Jean - Congrats on the new camper; from the owners we've camped with, its a great choice. If you have problems getting it registered with your local NCDMV office, try one (or two) other locations. I purchased a Canadian military surplus trailer a few years back and was told my paperwork was incomplete at the big city DMV office. Took the same info to one in a nearby small town and was out with my tags in less than ten minutes. Hope to see you around the state when this virus mess calms down.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Congrats! When you post in the Escape forum I'd suggest detailing your import experience- maybe in the Covid forum- as a number of people have asked about importing from Canada now. It would be very useful information.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #10

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Sorry you didn't get to enjoy our beautiful Province while you were picking it up. B.C. has done very well with Corvid. The restrictions are worth it. Hope we can get back to normal soon!
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape