New Escape 5th Wheel - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-24-2006, 01:08 AM   #41

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Actually, I'll go Little Joe/Lite House basic if I can garage the unit. HOA regulations. There is a niche for the smaller FG trailers vs the larger ones. I'd dream about all the things I'd want in the 5th wheel. I'd sit down and try to figure out how to buy the smaller trailer.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #42

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...The GVRW of the 25B21.5FB is 7500 lbs. My tonka toy is only rated to tow 3950 lbs If I understand correctly, many recommend I aim for 75% of GVRW, or about 3000 lb max. ..
The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the maximum the vehicle (trailer, in this case) is allowed to weigh; you don't have to pack it full! The Bigfoot tandem trailer GVW ratings are 7500 lb, which just looks like the total of the two axles (3500 lb each) and the coupler - they must not be concerned about the frame (it must be sufficiently strong). The actual weight, loaded and going to the campsite, will be somewhere between the empty weight (which I quoted) and the maximum, depending on optional equipment, water, and cargo carried.

The 21.5' Bigfoot models are too heavy for me, too, and even shooting for 3950 lbs, it would not be possible to pack that light, so the 21.5' (and 25') models are too heavy. They're just not as heavy as the GVWR might suggest.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:52 PM   #43

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
That's not the fantasy, Brian. I don't necessarily want a longer trailer. I like the 16-17 ft length...
Sorry Benita, I was thinking of Roger's comments about a conventional towing option for a fifth-wheel, and I realize now what you were clearly referring to...
Quote:
I'm really like the thought of a trailer with a 5th wheel's space and separated sleeping compartment that's towable by an SUV. The loft as a slide or a cantilevered projection?
To me, the real restriction on size is not length, but weight. I'm not at all convinced that "transformer" designs result in a significantly lighter trailer than a conventional fixed box. It works for tent trailers, and to a lesser extent for the hardbody/tent hybrids, because they only have fabric walls. Rigid slideout extensions work to provide a wider and thus perhaps more liveable interior than otherwise legal for the road, but folding or sliding out the ends doesn't have the same benefit.

According to the TrailManor specs, their smallest unit is 19' long overall and has a 23' body when open, but to do that they remove all potential for storage under the ends or full-height storage in the main body area. Although they claim this model (the 2619) is equivalent to a 26' travel trailer, I'm not convinced it is more liveable than a similar weight (2673 lb dry and empty) conventional design of the same width, especially for those of use who don't need three sleeping areas or want to climb over one of them (the dinette) to reach one of the main beds.

In the end, it just seems that moving body parts that need to seal together is opposite to the one really nice feature of the egg: a nearly seamless shell.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:33 PM   #44

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
To me, the real restriction on size is not length, but weight. I'm not at all convinced that "transformer" designs result in a significantly lighter trailer than a conventional fixed box.

In the end, it just seems that moving body parts that need to seal together is opposite to the one really nice feature of the egg: a nearly seamless shell.
I agree on the seams.

Here is a neat "transformer" design that might fit the bill. Just seen it on ebay. Add a couple of pop in or fold out triangular fiberglass side panels and one would not need any canvas.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=4625857394

Click image for larger version

Name:	a7_1.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	2303

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:19 AM   #45

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
That's not the fantasy, Brian. I don't necessarily want a longer trailer. I like the 16-17 ft length. Actually, my wildest dream would be for a garagable model that fits a standard sized US garage - with the loft/sleeping area separated.

Hmmmm? Frank X Ferry's 16ft with a slide comes to mind.
Attached Images

Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #46

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Hi Reace,

Thanks for the opportunity to make suggestions. Something I have not seen anyone mention is optional door assist handles at the entrance and in the bathroom. It may mean beefing up the attachment areas but it would sure be appreciated by the not so agile buyers.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:54 PM   #47

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Rita')
I second the idea for comfortable seating, over just more sleeping space. One of our big beefs. Option to leave it out and add our own.
Keep it light. Gas keeps going up. And not the tiniest of refrigerators. Preparing our own meals, keeps cost down, one of the perks of camping.
Betty L.
Betty L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #48

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Casita
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty L. View Post
I second the idea for comfortable seating, over just more sleeping space. One of our big beefs. Option to leave it out and add our own.
Keep it light. Gas keeps going up. And not the tiniest of refrigerators. Preparing our own meals, keeps cost down, one of the perks of camping.
Betty L.
Having read this forum, I feel that comfortable seating and a little more open space are the most important things that I'm looking for. I have a 13 ft casita with a front bathroom. The bed/table combo is very uncomfortable as both a bed, and a table/ seating area. Since it butts up against cabinets at either side, you also have to be a contortionist to get in and out of either bed or seating area. I also like to read indoors, and what I have is just not comfortable for that. I would gladly give up some cupboard space for a little open space.
Kathy Davisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #49

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Hi Kathy,

This thread is over 4 years old, and the Escape 5th wheel is already available for sale.

Regards,

Matt
Old 12-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #50

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Thanks for the memories. I was part of this thread and watched with interest as the Escape 5.0 took form. We are so glad it came about and we're so lucky to have been able to purchase one. With several extended trips under our belt, and three years of camping, I have yet to find anything...that requires changing in this design. We did add a few thro pillows to the dinette for comfort and find the sliding table offers ease of entry/exit.
We are now waiting out the stormy months with a new pickup to get ready for towing duty in the spring.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
against the wall.jpg   black tie optional.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #51

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Reace,

Looks GREAT! I think that you probably already have a handle on most of the issues; each customer wants that "something" a little bigger, smaller, more accessible... but there's only so much space and so many things you can do...

Having JUST completed a 1600 mile trip in a Scamp CD 5th wheel, and being 6'5" tall, the full queen fore/aft bed is an excellent idea. I second the idea of Nancy's bedroom mods to her Scamp. If you can find a way to make the bath just six inches larger in both dimensions, you'll have a real winner!

There's one design/engineering feature that is worth of consideration. I have both a 16' Scamp CD and the 19' fifth wheel right now. I like the room and features of the 19', but the versatility of being able to tow the 16' on a conventional hitch. I would undoubtedly keep the fifth wheel if there were some way to convert it to a conventional trailer tongue and still keep the tongue weight manageable. That's a tall order, but like Bob, I haul 'stuff' in my pickup when I go, and I'm not sure that my 4WD Tundra isn't too tall for the Scamp, which is now installed in an S10 bed, and I also have an Excursion with a conventional hitch that I occasionally tow it with.

I understand that there are three Scamp owners who have done home-built tongue conversions on their fifth wheels. The concern, however, is a seven or eight hundred pound tongue weight. Perhaps a tandem axle might help the weight distribution? All I'm asking you to do is just accomplish the impossible!

How about a modular interior that could be rearranged (within the constraints of plumbing and electrical) to suit the buyer's current whim?

Sorry, Reace... you DID ask...

Roger
Look here ... works great and it's convertible!
Attached Thumbnails
Oregon trip 002.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #52

Trailer: Pop-up
Registry
I've just read this whole thread with great interest cause I've drooled over the Escape 5.0 more than a few times. However, we have a 2008 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe (that's the plan with a king-sized sleeping area at the rear), and have tried to work with what we have to get the comforts we prefer. As others have said here, the dinette seats have never been particularly comfortable, and I prefer a recliner for sitting. At home and in the trailer, I use a lap desk to both eat meals on and to use my laptop so I have no real need for the (uncomfortable) dinette areas many trailers (of any size) have. If we had room, I WOULD have 2 small recliners tho with a small folding table between. Over the last 2 yrs, I've changed the large bed area around in numerous ways to find my "perfect" arrangement, initially sleeping on a queen-sized air mattress. It took up room both physically and visually, so when it started leaking, we put memory foam between two sleeping bags to provide a firm but surprisingly comfortable bed. And now it can be rolled up easily (instead of needing to be deflated) & "stacked" at the back of the Casita to provide a very comfortable "recliner back" to stretch out on. And since we made a movable base for the small table top, it can be positioned in various ways or simply removed also. Thankfully, not having a separate sleeping area isn't a problem. When I'm ready to go to sleep, nothing keeps me awake. And whoever gets up first is quiet enough making coffee to not wake up the other. When light is a problem for one of us still sleeping, we've hung a large bath towel over a curtain rod hanging from the top cabinet knobs to block the light.

Anyway, this is how we've gotten most of the comforts we want in a lightweight, single-axle fiberglass trailer and still have access to the storage space in the pickup camper shell. Here's a photo of my "lounger" conversion: Picasa Web Albums - Glenda Laine - AtchisonState...
Casita Escapes blog & photo albums
GlendaW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape