New fiberglass player.....Airstream! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
New fiberglass player.....Airstream!

Airstream Announces ‘Nest Caravans’ Buyout | RV Business

[Moderator's note: there is another thread (now closed) on this same topic. To read additional comments, check out Airstream Acquires NestCaravans.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
My first thought......might be a FG trailer at RV shows now.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
That's a big surprise! The one thing that gives me pause, though, is the fact that this story is dated April 1st... April Fool's Day. I'll wait and see if Nest posts a statement.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:31 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
That's a big surprise! The one thing that gives me pause, though, is the fact that this story is dated April 1st... April Fool's Day. I'll wait and see if Nest posts a statement.
I have been informed by Donna D that she personally heard from Robert, the founder of Nest that he will be making a public statement regarding this issue over the weekend. I apparently goofed and stole his thunder.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:11 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
April fools? I seem to recall a designer associated with the Airstream Base Camp joining Nest.
Attached Thumbnails
1459591876598.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:53 AM   #6

Name: Warren
Trailer: Oliver
New Hampshire
Airstream’s entry into the use of fiberglass in place of aluminum for an RV could have a huge impact in the fiberglass RV community. This could help Airstream owners understand the many advantages to the use of fiberglass. At the same time, it could help fiberglass travel trailer manufacturers understand how "good" design sells product.

When you look carefully at the very long list of options for a Nest Caravan, you realize the base unit lacks many items which we tend to feel are essential. Clearly, a Nest Caravan will not be an inexpensive alternative. As they proudly state in their marketing brochure,

“We believe that Nest‘s aesthetics represent the most luxurious example of form and function in its class. Sorry, we’re not chasing cheap. That’s just how we roll.

I would say many of the high quality fiberglass travel trailers just increased in value as a result of this action by Airstream.

Buzzy
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #7

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Interesting. I had just been wondering what happened to Nest. Now I know!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
It may well NOT be an April's fools post.

A few months ago on the Airstream forum there was talk of Airstream soon introducing a new line of trailers that were an alternative to aluminum and would be smallish. Can not recall how that story started but I seem to think it may have been started by Airstream themselves.

Lots of speculation on the Airstream forum that it was going to be a fibreglass trailer.

If it is Nest then that is very cool. Will be interesting to see what they do with it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #9

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Yes it will Carol. Whatever they come up with, sure won't be cheap. 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #10

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
It seems like a perfect match. Airstream trailers are pretty upscale with a price to match. Nest seemed to be going the same route. And yes, the Nest has the same designer but that fact hardly guarantees success. Not enough people bought the Base Camp so the company stopped making them. Hopefully that isn't the same fate awaiting the Nest.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Apparently, not an April Fool's joke.
Airstream Announces ‘Nest Caravans’ Buyout | RV Business
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #12

Registry
This is not btw the first time Airstream has entered the Fiberglass trailer market. They built one in the 60's that traveled the world but hey did not at the end of the day go through with producing more.
Attached Thumbnails
DVD 2008 - BOZEMAN RALLY 11-2008 (956).jpg  
Old 04-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Yes it will Carol. Whatever they come up with, sure won't be cheap. 😉

Nope it will not be but neither is an Oliver, Bigfoot, Escape 5.0 TA or even the Nest itself loaded with options for that matter ;-)
Old 04-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #14

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I think it is exciting and will be cool to see what they come up with. Still can't beat the price of my Used Scamp though!

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:15 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Airstream acquires Nest Caravans

Greetings to you all!

As you may have already heard, Nest Caravans has been acquired by Airstream. We are very excited about seeing our vision brought to the marketplace by the premier manufacturer of travel trailers.

I will be working with Airstream as a consultant, overseeing the production of the Nest in Jackson Center, Ohio.

My sincerest gratitude to all of you have have contributed your comments, critiques and kind words over these past several months.

(This message repeated on the initial "Introducing Nest..." thread.)
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:33 AM   #16

New Hampshire
Over the last few days, I had an opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of the Nest Caravan. I also circled back on the statement made by Bob Wheeler regarding his vision for a new less expensive Airstream made in November 2015. Bob stated, “The typical new Airstream buyer, Wheeler said, has gotten younger, with the average age falling from mid-60s to late-50s. Wheeler would like that number to come down. The new trailer won’t come in the traditional aluminum shell, Wheeler said, but will be unmistakably an Airstream when it arrives in the middle of 2016.”I would say Bob is moving closer to fulfill his vision by acquiring the assets of Nest Caravan.

I also believe both Robert Johans and Bryan Thompson have moved closer to realizing their dream to bring innovation in design to the RV marketplace. As they state on their website, Nest was created to appeal to discriminating enthusiasts of both good design and the great outdoors — delivering style and quality to those who believe aesthetics, integrity and excellence are not only a reflection of themselves, but lifestyle essentials.“

As you grow to understand the Nest Caravan, it is valuable to reflect back on an analogy used on this Forum. Some RVs resemble a sailboat and other RVs resemble a houseboat. Consumers tend to prefer one over the other based on their individual camping needs. I believe one is not better or worse than the other, they are just different. With this vision in mind, it did not surprise me when Mr. Thompson focused on fiberglass as his material of choice for the exterior design.

What I particularly like about this arrangement between Nest and Airstream is the focus on bringing innovation and design to the marketplace. More specifically I like the following:

1. The lighter weight of approximately 2400 pounds.
2. The width of 80“ making it feel easier to tow.
3. The monocoque chassis as an industry-unique innovation.
4. The use of color within the gelcoat layer.
5. The focus on an alternative to the use of a black tank.
6. The idea of allowing the consumer to choose from a list of options so they can tailor the RV to their camping needs.

Based on my review, I would say these men are to be congratulated on their actions to-date.

I would like to add a couple ideas for what it is worth. These ideas are not meant to appear as a criticism in any way. They might simply serve as food-for-thought as we embrace the need for continuous improvement in design.

1. As RV manufacturers explore ways to remove excess weight from the RV design, might they consider the use of carbon/kevlar as an option on select components of the design? High end ocean kayak manufacturers have been incorporating carbon/kevlar into their design to remove excess weight for years. I own two ocean kayaks with a 50/50 combination of fiberglass and carbon/kevlar. Not only do you remove excess weigh, but selective use of clear gelcoat allow the fibers within the material to display and the appearance is stunning!

2. I understand the Thetford Curve Porta Potty is a fine product. I do like the innovation of looking for alternatives to the black tank. I know high end campers such as the EarthRoamer use a cartridge based product. My only hope is that RV manufacturers continue to explore options in this area so the consumer has an end product which might be something between a porta potty and an EarthRoamer design.

Buzzy
Old 04-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Thanks for your comments, Buzzy.

Just to be clear, as the "creator" and lead designer of Nest Caravans, it was always my intention to fabricate our TT from FG. (Mr. Thompson is responsible only for the look of the Nest's excellent exterior styling.) Airstream will continue with this methodology, providing an alternative to their iconic aluminum offerings.

As to carbon fiber and kevlar— both are still much too expensive for a product the size of ours. Someday? We'll have to see.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #18

New Hampshire
Robert,

Excellent!

Thank you,
Buzzy
Old 04-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The pricing of this little upcoming "Airstream" will be VERY interesting. We have the "Oliver" within 30 min of my doorstep and the pricing of it is very interesting as well. They just dont build anything smaller than a 17'er.

I was reading a thread similar to this one. They were talking about making the "Nest Caravan" the Airstream of FG campers. To me, that is currently the OLIVER. So maybe AS will offer the NC in a smaller version and become the Airstream of the smaller FG campers? 15'? 16'?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:58 AM   #20

New Hampshire
Robert,
As I mentioned earlier in this post, I particularly like your use of color in the gelcoat layer on the exterior of the Nest Caravan.

The interior photos of the Nest would indicate a preference for white fiberglass surfaces in the interior. I actually prefer white, however, I understand some consumers find the color cold. We know Airstream designers use a different color palette and perhaps they might prefer a light grey. Based on your understanding of the manufacturing process, would that be possible?

I also noticed you provide the consumer with an option to select Dove over white as an exterior color combination. I could not determine if the color Dove is a different tone of white or if maybe it is a preferred marketing phrase. Is Dove the same color as white?

Thank you,
Buzzy