New fiberglass rv? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Man, I am frustrated with myself.

Today I was in Camping World buying a few things. At the checkout I had to wait for some other people to make a large purchase so I started thumbing through a magazine that lists rv types that they had beside the counter. It was in sections by weight class. So of course I was looking at the lighter trailers to see what was there. I was very surprised to see a molded fiberglass trailer I had never heard of. I had to put the magazine down when the other people finished their transaction and I had to make my own purchase. But I forgot to write down the name of the "new" trailer (at least new for me, as I had never heard of it).

I think part of the name or of the manufacturer was "Weis" or "Weiss". The trailer was very, very small, and it looked for all the world like the old Lite House trailers. No bath option. Very small water tank. It did have a furnace and a few other options. Retail price was around $7800, I think.

Anyone know what this was? I was in a hurry to get back to pick up my wife at a doctor's appointment and just forgot to write down the details.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Sounds like the Little Joe by Weis.

Little Joe
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I saw the same listing in what was likely the same Trailer Life buyer's guide and asked the same question - except that I used my cell phone to call my own answering machine to leave the name, since I knew I would forget it. Technology trumps age...

The result was a sideline in a discussion which was already in progress: Who Still Makes MFGRV's. Yes, it is "Weis", as in Weis Craft Custom Designs, and others did explain that it is a development of the Lite House.

The disturbing part of this guide is how very incomplete it is. Only one unit from each egg maker is listed, even though they have multiple models, spanning two of the guide's weight classes. I can only guess that the publishers limit listings to a sampling of the manufacturer's line, or simply charge per entry.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #4

That's it!

Thanks, folk!

I've always thought that the whole Lite House concept was very flawed. If MFRVs are generally a niche market, then that one is a niche within a niche. I wish them all luck and I hope they do well. I suppose it's a good choice for a lone camper who goes to very remote sites and just wants to use the trailer as a base camp.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:07 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
that one is a niche within a niche
I first discovered the Lite House trailer from an ad in a magazine in the seat pocket of a plane I rode in. I was very impressed, for it seemed to written directly to me and my interests at that time. Back then I was a tent camper who was looking for something I could pull behind my Toyota Camry.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #6

Most travel trailer people seem to think that teardrop trailers are a useless idea too, with only a compartment to crawl in for sleeping and a kitchen that is actually outside - but in the end that's how many people use their travel and tent trailers anyway. A choice of designs is nice, and I applaud the companies that bring us that choice, although I agree that some choices do have a small market. I think "specialty", rather than "flawed"...
Old 03-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #7

Yeah. "Flawed" was a flawed way of putting it.

I've met people who wouldn't have my Casita because it's "too small".

I can see the Lite House/Little Joe being a great trailer for a loner or a couple who enjoy fly fishing or hiking and need some secure comfort for sleeping in out-of-the-way forest areas. Also great for hunters.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:55 PM   #8

I was asking about the R-Vision Trail-Lite Cassette at a local RV dealer - it's functionally a teardrop, but not teardrop-shaped - and was told that typical buyers intended to tow it behind a truck with a quad (ATV) in the truck box, then unload at the end of the road and use the quad to take the trailer further into the bush on smaller trails, for hunting. That's a 1300-lb (dry) 12-foot (8-foot body) stick-built. If it works with the Cassette, it seems like it would work with the Little Joe or similar units as well, whether or not you shoot Bambi at your destination.

(I would have provided a web link for the Cassette, but R-Vision stubbornly refuses to post anything about this particular model that I can find.)
Old 03-07-2006, 08:29 PM   #9

Quote:
(I would have provided a web link for the Cassette, but R-Vision stubbornly refuses to post anything about this particular model that I can find.)
I looked at one at an RV store last year.

Also, I've seen them on ebay with detailed photographs.

Again, it's not something that appeals to me, but I can see its use.

Someone is building a heavy-duty pop-up meant for off-road camping. It takes high lift axle to new extremes.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
Someone is building a heavy-duty pop-up meant for off-road camping. It takes high lift axle to new extremes.
I think you mean Fleetwood's Cobalt, Element and Scorpion off rading popups. When I saw the Element, I must admit I thought about Gina D and her evolution through camping. An Element towing an Element would be cute.

http://www.fleetwoodrv.com/evolution/
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Here's a link to one that sold on ebay:
Cassette
David Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
We just returned from Cottonwood AZ where us Desert Eggs had a recent rally. While there, a group of Teardrops/Airstreams/Vintage/AndAnyOther trailers from Phoenix had a rally. I have many pictures but here's a few:

BTW, they tried to post a notice of this rally here (maybe here, but maybe somewhere else!) but since no one owned a fiberglass it was removed, although their group welcomes all trailers. http://azroundup.net/
Attached Thumbnails
Cottonwood_Rally_53.jpg   Cottonwood_Rally_57.jpg  

Cottonwood_Rally_41.jpg   Cottonwood_Rally_42.jpg  

Cottonwood_Rally_47.jpg   Cottonwood_Rally_35.jpg  

Cottonwood_Rally_9.jpg  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:58 AM   #13
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
BTW, they tried to post a notice of this rally here but since no one owned a fiberglass it was removed, although their group welcomes all trailers. http://azroundup.net/
Hmmm. That doesn't sound like us. Are you sure it wasn't a casualty of the hack? (If it was posted prior to Nov.11, that's what happened to it.)

If we did delete their announcement, it was a mistake, and I apologize.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:06 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Mary, that's what one of the organizers told me, but there are a lot of forums out here in the netherworld, so what the reality is I don't know.

Pat

More pictures of interest:

Here's a bunch of pictures from this rally: http://azroundup.net/2006_february_gathering.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Cottonwood_Rally_29.jpg   Cottonwood_Rally_31.jpg  

Cottonwood_Rally_26.jpg   Cottonwood_Rally_23.jpg  

Cottonwood_Rally_46.jpg   Cottonwood_Rally_77.jpg  

Cottonwood_Rally_14.jpg  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #15

Quote:
BTW, they tried to post a notice of this rally here...
The event did end up posted in FiberglassRV: [b]An Invitation, (unless your RV is a 747). There was at least one Scamp in the 2005 event photos, and it looks like at least one Boler 1300 made it this year.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
I made several attempts at finding out about the Little Joe with no luck. The dealer listed above will not return calls or emails! I kinda like it and was interested. "WAS" LOL!
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:50 AM   #17

Quote:
I made several attempts at finding out about the Little Joe with no luck. The dealer listed above will not return calls or emails! I kinda like it and was interested. "WAS" LOL!
Try this website:

http://www.weiscrafttrailers.com/

Their phone number and email address is there under "Contact".

The more I look at their trailer and realize what it's for, the more I like it.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Quote:
Try this website:

http://www.weiscrafttrailers.com/

Their phone number and email address is there under "Contact".

The more I look at their trailer and realize what it's for, the more I like it.

Thank you Bob!
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote