New Ford Pickup - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
New Ford Pickup

Ford has announced a new unibody hybrid pickup, smaller than the Ranger.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/08/ford...ts-40-mpg.html

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/maverick
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Just saw it will have a 2000# tow rating without tow package and 4000# with the engine upgrade and tow package.

Looks like it could be another worthy option for smaller molded trailers, depending on how they package it and whether the reliability proves up to snuff. Hate it when they force you into fancy trim levels overladen with electronic gizmos just to get basic mechanical towing upgrades.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Hate it when they force you into fancy trim levels overladen with electronic gizmos just to get basic mechanical towing upgrades.
That's why I try to stay away from the open-carry dealerships.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:52 AM   #4

Name: Alex
Trailer: 1999 Casita 16' "Snufkin"
California
The more the better

Hopefully this will prompt more entries in a "small" pickup range. I think Ford is really on top of it's game with this and the new Lightning. Ranger is actually a pretty old model, too, so a replacement can't be far away. I hope it will have an electric option, too. It's kind of ironic that Toyota has such an overwhelming success with it's ancient Tacoma that it doesn't motivate them to come up with something new.
Alex in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:04 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
As I read it.. for 4,000 lb tow rating you need the optional turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder for $1085 and the $745 Tow package. If I'm right you can double the two rating for $1,833 which is not bad at all. But if you buy it in California they might carry a AK and force you to another "upgrade."

Also noted.. its front wheel drive and CVT... deal breakers for some when towing.

FWD, CVT, small bed, hybrid engine, 1,500 lbs. of standard payload.. It certainly redefines "truck" as a passenger vehicle more than a working vehcile.

Maybe this will sell it.. A ~3.5 amp AC outlet in the bed.. enough to run a 3 way fridge if you run an extension cord.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick...hp-bb-maverick
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What can you put in the bed that wouldn't fit in the trunk of a car, or back of an SUV?
Old 06-08-2021, 12:19 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
CVT? I'm out. I don't even like automatics.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
What can you put in the bed that wouldn't fit in the trunk of a car, or back of an SUV?
Four dirty mountain bikes, maybe?
Old 06-08-2021, 01:15 PM   #9
Raz

Quote:
A sheet of plywood, if you can afford it. My Frontier bed is 5' x 5' and I've carried all kinds of things I can't or wouldn't carry in my CRV. Just last week I carried a new apple tree. Of course you could buy the Ridgeline if you really want a trunk.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
In that class you will be seeing the Hyundai Santa Cruz, which can come with a tow rating as high as 5,000 pounds. They also will be releasing a plug in hybrid version with a lower tow rating.

Hyundai/Kia have been aggressively offering new models lately.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I really like this thing! Alas my Garage is full.
One thing about a pickup box is the ability to haul volatile materials or chemicals or dirty/wet stuff... anything that should not be inside with people.

I.E... gas can, lawn mower, propane tank, lawn chemicals, even the aforementioned dirty mountain bikes.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
As I read it.. for 4,000 lb tow rating you need the optional turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder for $1085 and the $745 Tow package. If I'm right you can double the two rating for $1,833 which is not bad at all. But if you buy it in California they might carry a AK and force you to another "upgrade."

Also noted.. its front wheel drive and CVT... deal breakers for some when towing.

FWD, CVT, small bed, hybrid engine, 1,500 lbs. of standard payload.. It certainly redefines "truck" as a passenger vehicle more than a working vehcile.

Maybe this will sell it.. A ~3.5 amp AC outlet in the bed.. enough to run a 3 way fridge if you run an extension cord.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick...hp-bb-maverick
The announcement I got from Ford today shows an eight speed automatic with the purchase of the 2.0L EcoBoost, which would be my only viable choice anyway... plus of course a true tow package only available with the 2.0L. and with a 4000# tow rating.
Love my Ranger but the Maverick (properly equipped) might be just the ticket for my Scamp13D and it would fit in my garage.

My little Transit Connect has a 1580# payload, which is more than some fullsized trucks.,(or did you mean tow rating for the 2.5L. Maverick?)
The TC has proven great for my Scamp and the Maverick 2.0 would be even more capable.

CVTs are for snowmobiles.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:37 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
CVTs are for snowmobiles.
And Mopeds.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:35 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
my 7 foot step ladder that I use for astronomy, along with a 20" f/5 Obsession telescope, the two motorcycle ramps I use to load/unload said telescope, a couple buffet tables, about 6 or 8 folding chairs, a couple 5 gallon carbouys of water, a spare 20lb propane bottle, a big cooler, a propane bbq, a couple extra outdoor carpets, a 10x10 popup awning, ......

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:55 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I wasn't asking what you can put in your pickup bed. I was asking what would fit in a Maverick bed.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:50 AM   #16
Raz

This is what Honda should have done. You can't buy a Ridgeline here for less than $35k, making it the most expensive mid size available. A four door pickup with high gas mileage and a tow rating at 2k lbs in the low $20k's. It's got the daily commute, the trip to Home Depot, and towing the pop up or the boat up all covered. As for the CVT, the vehicle comes with a 5 year, 60k mile drive train warranty. Ford is going to sell a lot of these. Of course, some won't want it. Being made in Mexico, it is a foreign vehicle.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:48 AM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
I wasn't asking what you can put in your pickup bed. I was asking what would fit in a Maverick bed.
Well the more I read about the Maverick's "Flexbed" the more I think they might have a good design. Sure its short (4.5 feet) to allow for four passenger doors, but its versatile. Below photo shows how you can transport 4x8 plywood sheets although note that they sit on top of the wheel wells and not flat in the bottom of the bed. By the way, 4x8 plywood fits INSIDE my van with the back door closed.

Now I would want a bed cover to secure items in the bed of the truck and I don't know if I could find one that would still allow bed extensions or tailgate open use. Still, this truck will fill a niche and I think it will sell well. I will wait for a few years of reliability records.

The photo is from this article which describes the Flexbed in more detail.
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/06/08/...rick-flex-bed/

Old 06-09-2021, 06:28 AM   #18

North Carolina
Without looking.. guess which one has more interior room, Maverick or Ranger....

Spoiler alert....

Its the Maverick. The "truck" is shorter and narrower but has more people room.

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2021/06/...ec-comparison/
Old 06-09-2021, 07:32 AM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Not surprising. It’s the FWD, transverse-engine, unibody design, which optimizes ride and interior space at the expense of heavy duty towing and hauling. The Ranger tows 7500# compared to the Maverick's 4000#. Apples and oranges.

As to pricing, I somewhat cynically expect Mavericks equipped as many people will want for towing (4WD, 2.0L, tow package, XLT) will approach the Ridgeline. The sub-$20K base MSRP is a teaser.

Styling sells, and I do think they nailed that for their target market (along with its platform-mate, the Bronco Sport). The baby Broncos appear to be selling very well in my neck of the woods. Makes me wonder why the Bronco Sport doesn't offer any more than a 2200# tow rating.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:14 PM   #20

Arizona
Registry
I was just looking at the specs, trying to find out exactly what they mean by an eCVT (no details). Anybody know?

What I did catch was the 13.8 gallon fuel tank. I suspect that’s going to make for a pretty short towing range, especially with the 2.0EB and a trailer in the upper half of the 4000# rating.