New Frontier... sort of - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018- 21FT- FORD
NW Wisconsin
The view out my rear view mirror is the same whether I have a topper or I am towing my trailer
We’ve had both a topper and a tonneau cover . I prefer the topper
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #22

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Secure storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Yes. For example you can easily keep four bikes out of the weather with a camper top. The top is most useful with taller stuff, that will extend above the bed of the truck. It also provides better security for your items, locked up and out of sight versus vulnerable.
Thanks Bill, and your thoughts are what has me interested in a truck cap.

Last summer, we traveled a couple of states for fun activities. Each stop and stay (cabins, lodges) I had to completely unload all containers from the truck bed. The container items were basic gear that I don't believe anyone would smash a truck cap window to get - but might walk away if exposed in an open truck bed.

I believe I would gain storage too, with a truck cap. Though I do fairly well with my containers and a cargo net

Cost, like everything in life, is the big challenge. And it's easy to load and use an open truck bed.

Saving up money is a great measure of need. When I have the money saved for a truck cap, I'll decide if it's a need
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:33 AM   #23
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I have a soft tonneau cover that cost about $250 when new in 2009. I've replaced the fabric once. It keeps the grill, chairs, and cooler dry and out of the wind. Compared to a topper the down sides are less space and less security. The up side is cost and access. Much easier to get to things and it can be rolled up for tall items (a topper requires removal). Also, I've never lost anything but if they really want my 10 year old Coleman, or those aging camp chairs......
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #24

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I put caps on both my trucks when new, so I haven't spent much time with an open bed. I like the ability to keep stuff dry and more or less out of sight. They do weigh a substantial amount which counts toward payload. Surprisingly easy to go wrong with payload, even with FGRVs.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I read about the upcoming powertrain changes not long ago and immedietly started pricing current frontiers thinking this is the last year of the proven powertrain. Then I remembered I have a truck with 30k on it....
They have seemed to be really reliable trucks. I think the only thing I read about is some years having issues with the fuel gauge/sending unit troubles.
Tim Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #26
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Frank View Post
They have seemed to be really reliable trucks. I think the only thing I read about is some years having issues with the fuel gauge/sending unit troubles.
Early models (2005?) had the sending unit issue. The big issue was radiator failure (2010 and earlier) At about 80-100k the radiator would fail allowing coolant to mix with transmission fluid. Nissan replaced a lot of transmissions. They also had an issue with timing chain guide failure. It seems the machine that made the links wore, causing them to become sharp and cutting the plastic chain guides. That one was hit or miss. Both were oem supplier issues.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:33 PM   #27

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
Probably not. That photo is of the Global Navara and it is in it's rhird ypdate
RobertRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #28

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Clearly that’s a matter of personal taste, because I have always liked the clean, understated styling of the current and first generation Frontiers. Hated the second generation.

The 2020 body is a carry-over; only the mechanicals are new.

There are plenty of online images of what the next generation will likely look like (if it ever comes). It appears taller and follows recent styling of the sedans and crossovers.
Attachment 133246
Probably not as that photo is the current Nissan Navara, it is into its 3rd update
US model Frontier has disappeared for many years from the Global scene. Gas engines have also disappeared.engine in Navara is a Renault derived diesel
Old 02-26-2020, 03:44 PM   #29

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalewj View Post
According to Scotty Kilmer, Nissan's quality and reliability has dropped since Renault took control of Nissan. Nissan's profitability has dropped as well. If Renault makes "improvements" on the Frontier as they have on Nissan's passenger cars, look elsewhere. It's not a bad idea to wait a year or two before purchasing any new model to see how it does. Purchase and study a copy of Consumer Reports April Auto Issue before you purchase any vehicle.
Not much to do with Renault, more to do within Nissan itself. Carlos Ghosn being the public face of the turmoil within the Company
Old 02-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #30

Name: Kim
Trailer: Uhaul
California
Registry
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Had a 1990 Nissan truck, inexpensive and solid vehicle. With kids, I switched to family vehicles such as station wagons and mini vans.

Jumped back into trucks with a Nissan 2018 Frontier. Crew cab SV V6 2wd. The same basic truck in production for 15 years is what sold me, that and the inexpensive price

Could not be happier. Great truck, solid. And I am pleasantly surprised with the 2wd limited slip - braking system. Traveled stone, grass and dirt paths to camp sites - no problem. Even through wet dirt path (some mud) no problems. On factory highway tires!?!

Great truck, well designed, tried and true
Live my new 2019 Frontier. Very solid and true . Itís the third one for me and I did not want the new design. Love the widows, power, track record, etc. Great deals on the 2019ís as well!
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #31

Name: Peggy
South Carolina
Patrick, do you tow your Casita with the truck? I am a female, likely will travel solo many times and need a reliable vehicle to tow my (as yet not purchased) Casita. Having read all these comments regarding Nissan trucks, which year would you recommend I look at. I do not want all the bells and whistles, just reliability. I definitely want either a Nissan or Toyota truck. Thanks in advance!
Fellow South Carolinian
phopesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #32

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post

Cost, like everything in life, is the big challenge. And it's easy to load and use an open truck bed.

Saving up money is a great measure of need. When I have the money saved for a truck cap, I'll decide if it's a need
Depending on your truck, there is a nearly endless supply of good used ones out there. The values drop like a rock compared to new. People sell their trucks, move on or whatever and then have a camper top to sell.

Like anything used, sellers have the right to ask anything. Until they get schooled on the low value, they can ask silly high prices. But there are always other ones available. Its harder when you have a brand new design truck. Limited to no used market at that point.

I have an ARE TW cover, higher in the rear than in the front. Makes getting in and out much easier!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:52 PM   #33

Name: Neville
Trailer: Trails West Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by phopesc View Post
Patrick, do you tow your Casita with the truck? I am a female, likely will travel solo many times and need a reliable vehicle to tow my (as yet not purchased) Casita. Having read all these comments regarding Nissan trucks, which year would you recommend I look at. I do not want all the bells and whistles, just reliability. I definitely want either a Nissan or Toyota truck. Thanks in advance!
Fellow South Carolinian

Peggy, I am a Datsun/Nissan fan since 1968, Toyota just haven't done it for me. My current Frontier is a 2000 3.3 V6 4x4 Crew Cab, Rated for 5000# Towing Capacity. I would not do that. My limit is 2500# but if I was going cross country I would not tow over 2000#. That's why I have a Chevy V8. The newer Frontiers with the 4.0 V6 are a different world with 281 fps torque and rated for 6500# they will pull a Casita all day long. I would have a tranny cooler installed. I am a bit gun shy when it comes to Nissan radiators and transmission cooling.
My dog loves the Crew Cab, my wife loves the ride but hates the climb. My only beef is a cap is a necessity and I can't find one for mine.

Villen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:04 PM   #34

NW Wisconsin
I would not overlook the new Ford Ranger . Better styling , better payload , better towing capacity , perfect for towing a small FG trailer IMHO
The reviews I read put it at the top of the pack for midsized trucks
I know that “Floyd “ from this forum is extremely happy with his new Ranger and Floyd knows trucks !
Old 02-27-2020, 07:00 AM   #35

Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Patrick, do you tow your Casita with the truck?
i do tow my 16'er with my frontier. and i towed with my 2010 frontier for over 200k miles. i can truthfully say it never let me down. my hopes and expectations are high for the new one. the longer wheelbase of the new one seem to ride a bit smoother while towing.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #36

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I had a 2012 Frontier V6 4x4 Pro for 2 years. Purchased used in 2014 with less than 10,000 miles on it. Locally owned so I know it’s full service and driving history. They never towed anything with it. I ended up having a number of big issues with it. One was rust! By the time it was 2.5 years old it was very visible on the under carriage and inside the bumpers, dealer acknowledged there was more rust than one might expect but when I attempted to have it addressed under warranty they would not give an inch. Yes I live in Canada but in the lower mainland of BC but not many big snow events and or heavy salted roads in the time.I owned it. Not to mention I was not a big fan of its performance in the snow so did not normally drive it on such days, had a second vehicle for that. The few times it was driven on salted roads it got a good wash right away.

First year I owned it the rear differential sprung a major leak and fortunately was fixed under warranty. 3 months off basic warranty and only 20,000 miles It had to have a full brake job done on it due to a major brake failure, everything was rusted. The paint on the bumpers was starting to bubble off due to rust. At 4 years of age with 30,000 miles on it the Catalytic Converter failed, which was fortunately still covered under the extended emissions warranty. Funny enough I had already made a deal at that point to trade it in and was just waiting for the new truck I had ordered to arrive.

The small city I now live in uses Nissan Frontiers (or they did. I noticed recently some staff driving rangers and F150’s). Many of their Frontiers are newer than mine and if you look under them and behind the dumper you will see a number of them have a higher level of rust than one might expect.

I never actually felt like I had a real good solid tow set up with it pulling the 16’ Scamp with the Frontier, even though I made lots of changes to hitch head and how every thing in the trailer was stowed etc. Never felt it towed the Scamp as solidly as the Subaru Outback I previously towed the same trailer with. Although it was all nice and level it always felt like to much weight was off the front of the truck. The whole spring and summer I had that set up I avoided driving on freeways and or in conditions with any amount of wind. If I had not already been shopping for a different trailer and know I would need a new truck as well, my next step would have been adding a WDH to try and get a more solid tow. Given the Frontiers specs it seemed odd to me that It would need the WDH with the Scamp.

I purchased a larger trailer and it was well within the towing specs of the Frontier so I figured I could at least use the Frontier to tow it the 1500 miles home and look for a new truck after. Before towing the new trailer home I went to a hitch shop with it and we tried a couple of different WDH systems and hitch head adjustments on it but rear end drop was still a problem. Hitch shop told me rear end drop was a well know issue with all the Nissan trucks in their opinion. So we did what we could to get it as level as possible but the trip home was not a great towing experience. Shortly after traded the Nissan for a F150 3.5 Eco Boost. Very happy with that change!

The towing experience with F150 greatly improved! There is not much of a noticeable drop on the rear of truck when the larger trailer is attached even before the WDH is put on. I had both the new trailer and the Scamp for awhile and the Ford had zero issues pulling the Scamp solidly with no WDH. The 10 speed transmission is another big plus. The Nissan transmission hunted like mad on any type of hill while pulling the Scamp, was always having to go manual shift or sport to help it out. . The 10 speed transmission on the Ford takes care of that VERY nicely. But the real BIG plus is the much improved gas mileage even though it is a larger truck. Driving around town gas mileage improved by 5 mpg and when towing the larger heavier trailer it improved on average abt the same. If towing on relatively flat freeways it does even better.

After 3.5 years no signs of rust on the Ford even though its been parked 300’ from the ocean for all of that time, which the Nissan did not. Due to new living location I have put way more mileage on the Ford than I did the Nissan and have no issues with it maintenance wise. Yes it had a couple of minor recalls, seat belt and door lock issues (neither of which I had ever had a problem with), but other than that, just the regular scheduled oil changes, which are also far less frequently scheduled than the Nissan was.

IMO the savings in gas and yearly maintenance cost on the Ford vs the Nissan in just the first 3 years goes a long ways in helping with the higher purchase cost and the overall improved towing experience is priceless!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #37

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I had a 2012 Frontier V6 4x4 Pro for 2 years. Purchased used in 2014 with less than 10,000 miles on it. Locally owned so I know it’s full service and driving history. They never towed anything with it. I ended up having a number of big issues with it. One was rust! By the time it was 2.5 years old it was very visible on the under carriage and inside the bumpers, dealer acknowledged there was more rust than one might expect but when I attempted to have it addressed under warranty they would not give an inch. Yes I live in Canada but in the lower mainland of BC but not many big snow events and or heavy salted roads in the time.I owned it. Not to mention I was not a big fan of its performance in the snow so did not normally drive it on such days, had a second vehicle for that. The few times it was driven on salted roads it got a good wash right away.

First year I owned it the rear differential sprung a major leak and fortunately was fixed under warranty. 3 months off basic warranty and only 20,000 miles It had to have a full brake job done on it due to a major brake failure, everything was rusted. The paint on the bumpers was starting to bubble off due to rust. At 4 years of age with 30,000 miles on it the Catalytic Converter failed, which was fortunately still covered under the extended emissions warranty. Funny enough I had already made a deal at that point to trade it in and was just waiting for the new truck I had ordered to arrive.

The small city I now live in uses Nissan Frontiers (or they did. I noticed recently some staff driving rangers and F150’s). Many of their Frontiers are newer than mine and if you look under them and behind the dumper you will see a number of them have a higher level of rust than one might expect.

I never actually felt like I had a real good solid tow set up with it pulling the 16’ Scamp with the Frontier, even though I made lots of changes to hitch head and how every thing in the trailer was stowed etc. Never felt it towed the Scamp as solidly as the Subaru Outback I previously towed the same trailer with. Although it was all nice and level it always felt like to much weight was off the front of the truck. The whole spring and summer I had that set up I avoided driving on freeways and or in conditions with any amount of wind. If I had not already been shopping for a different trailer and know I would need a new truck as well, my next step would have been adding a WDH to try and get a more solid tow. Given the Frontiers specs it seemed odd to me that It would need the WDH with the Scamp.

I purchased a larger trailer and it was well within the towing specs of the Frontier so I figured I could at least use the Frontier to tow it the 1500 miles home and look for a new truck after. Before towing the new trailer home I went to a hitch shop with the It and we tried a couple of different WDH systems and hitch head adjustments on it but rear end drop was still a problem. Hitch shop told me rear end drop was a well know issue with all the Nissan trucks in their opinion. So we did what we could to get it as level as possible but the trip home was not a great towing experience. Shortly after traded the Nissan for a F150 3.5 Eco Boost. Very happy with that change!

The towing experience with F150 greatly improved! There is not much of a noticeable drop on the rear of truck when the larger trailer is attached even before the WDH is put on. I had both the new trailer and the Scamp for awhile and the Ford had zero issues pulling the Scamp solidly with no WDH. The 10 speed transmission is another big plus. The Nissan transmission hunted like mad on any type of hill while pulling the Scamp, was always having to go manual shift or sport to help it out. . The 10 speed transmission on the Ford takes care of that VERY nicely. But the real BIG plus is the much improved gas mileage even though it is a larger truck. Driving around town gas mileage improved by 5 mpg and when towing the larger heavier trailer it improved on average abt the same. If towing on relatively flat freeways it does even better.

After 3.5 years no signs of rust on the Ford even though its been parked 300’ from the ocean for all of that time, which the Nissan did not. Due to new living location I have put way more mileage on the Ford than I did the Nissan and have no issues with it maintenance wise. Yes it had a couple of minor recalls, seat belt and door lock issues (neither of which I had ever had a problem with), but other than that, just the regular scheduled oil changes, which are also far less frequently scheduled than the Nissan was.

IMO the savings in gas and yearly maintenance cost on the Ford vs the Nissan in just the first 3 years goes a long ways in helping with the higher purchase cost and the overall improved towing experience is priceless!
Living in Northern Wisconsin where we get lots of snow and they use lots of road salt , there are two brands of trucks we seldom see
One of the reason for this is it doesn’t take long for the word to get out about which brands rust out faster than a steel beer can.
I’ve seen three year old trucks with rusted out bumpers , truck beds and tailgates
Why would one truck manufacturer issue a $5,000,000,000 recall for rust problems ? ( Frame & Body)
The #1 truck in our area and in the US is the Ford F150 and for good reason

NO I DO NOT OWN OR DRIVE AN F 150 but I do recognize quality .
Old 02-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #38

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Living in Northern Wisconsin where we get lots of snow and they use lots of road salt , there are two brands of trucks we seldom see
One of the reason for this is it doesn’t take long for the word to get out about which brands rust out faster than a steel beer can.
I’ve seen three year old trucks with rusted out bumpers , truck beds and tailgates
Why would one truck manufacturer issue a $5,000,000,000 recall for rust problems ? ( Frame & Body)
The #1 truck in our area and in the US is the Ford F150 and for good reason

NO I DO NOT OWN OR DRIVE AN F 150 but I do recognize quality .

Yup I was aware that Toyota has a long history of rusty trucks and recalls for it when I purchased the Nissan. Just was not aware that Nissan’s also had rust issues.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #39

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Is tall cap better for trailer towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinna View Post
Love my new 2019 Frontier. ...Itís the third one for me..
This is my second Nissan truck The '90 model was the hard body design, sold as more solid against rust. Curious some of the experiences with Nissan Frontier trucks and northern snow and salt and rust.

You see a lot of Nissan trucks here in the south. Our little NC town uses Nissan Frontiers for it's fleet work trucks.

I had a great experience in Ohio (snow and salt) with the '90's Nissan Truck, and so far so good with the Frontier here in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I have an ARE TW cover, higher in the rear than in the front. Makes getting in and out much easier!
Bill I'm looking at A.R.E. caps and it appears they do not make the TW for short bed Nissan Frontiers. The TW is interesting, because supposedly it helps with air flow and towing a trailer. Has that been your experience? I definitely like the taller frame, for loading.
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #40

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I really didn’t notice on fuel economy. It’s all about speed.

On the TW, it is about 100 times easier to get in and out. I really didn’t want a TW but I was looking for a deal on a used camper top and it’s what I found. Now that I have used it for a couple of years, it is definitely my favorite model!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote