New Frontier... sort of - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-29-2020, 07:32 PM   #41

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Oooops
Attached Thumbnails
BrokenFrame.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:00 AM   #42
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I'm not loyal to any brand and over the years I have also owned Ford, Chevy, and Toyota pickups. Here in Vermont they brine the roads as pretreatment then salt . Most paved roads are still white even after they have been plowed because of all the salt. I always buy new. No matter the brand I undercoat with fluid film, put a screen over the air intake to keep out Mickey and his friends, and thoroughly wash and touch up the undercoat in the spring. Of the three Frontiers I have owned, the first had a tailgate issue the dealership fixed in minutes in the parking lot. Other than that they have all been flawless. No problems, no major rust issues, no recalls, no spending hours in a dealership waiting room. I also have a 2015 Honda CRV. It too has been flawless.

I've have also taken to replacing the differential breather with an air hose. Not unique to Nissan, these breathers can fail causing the pressure to blow the axle seals and contaminate the brakes. For $10 and 30 minutes of your time it good insurance.

I really don't care what people buy. I'm not a Nissan fan. If you don't think its a good vehicle, don't buy it. But enough of the Japan bashing. There are no Japanese car companies. There are no American car companies. Like it or not, they're all world companies today. According to Wikipedia, the new Ranger was designed in Australia, has a transmission designed in cooperation with GM, and an engine based on a Mazda design. Welcome to the 21st century.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #43

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018- 21FT- FORD
NW Wisconsin
[QUOTE=Raz;769760 I really don't care what people buy. I'm not a Nissan fan. If you don't think its a good vehicle, don't buy it. But enough of the Japan bashing. There are no Japanese car companies. There are no American car companies. Like it or not, they're all world companies today. According to Wikipedia, the new Ranger was designed in Australia, has a transmission designed in cooperation with GM, and an engine based on a Mazda design. Welcome to the 21st century.[/QUOTE]

I donít agree but thatís another story. This and other forums constantly promote Brand X and have declared it superior to all , even after Brand X has had numerous large , expensive , multiple and in some cases deadly recalls / failures
These same people will not even look at another brand and question the intelligence of anyone that does
In my estimation based on all Iíve read and learned in conversations , the Ford Ranger and Chevy Colorado are the best , most technologically advance midsize pickup on the market .
Since this forum is about towing a FG trailer ,you would believe towing capacity / payload / towing mileage / seat comfort / suspension would rank pretty high . Instead we spend hours discussing how to make a sows ear into a silk purse
IE; Redesigning a new vehicle to do something it wasnít designed to do

For an example , I read a post last week where a member BOASTED about getting 12mpg with his mid size Toyota Tacoma with a V6 engine towing a 13 ft Scamp and what an absolutely great tow vehicle it was .
I get 14 to 15 mpg towing my 21 ft Escape with my full size 1/2 ton truck with a V8 , certainly nothing to brag about and Ford F 150ís do equally as well or better

I agree , buy what you want and need , just quit telling me that your choice is perfect and my choice is a POS !!
The minimalist philosophy / religion seems to permeate these forums and often is not based in reality or fact .

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #44

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
With U on Speed and Fuel Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I really didnít notice on fuel economy. Itís all about speed.

On the TW, it is about 100 times easier to get in and out. I really didnít want a TW but I was looking for a deal on a used camper top and itís what I found. Now that I have used it for a couple of years, it is definitely my favorite model!
Thanks Bill for this information. I'm considering the mid-rise cap (tallest for my truck) from A.R.E.

And I'm with you on speed and fuel economy. I'm happy to cruise country roads to my destination
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #45
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I don’t agree but that’s another story. This and other forums constantly promote Brand X and have declared it superior to all , even after Brand X has had numerous large , expensive , multiple and in some cases deadly recalls / failures
These same people will not even look at another brand and question the intelligence of anyone that does
In my estimation based on all I’ve read and learned in conversations , the Ford Ranger and Chevy Colorado are the best , most technologically advance midsize pickup on the market .
Since this forum is about towing a FG trailer ,you would believe towing capacity / payload / towing mileage / seat comfort / suspension would rank pretty high . Instead we spend hours discussing how to make a sows ear into a silk purse
IE; Redesigning a new vehicle to do something it wasn’t designed to do

For an example , I read a post last week where a member BOASTED about getting 12mpg with his mid size Toyota Tacoma with a V6 engine towing a 13 ft Scamp and what an absolutely great tow vehicle it was .
I get 14 to 15 mpg towing my 21 ft Escape with my full size 1/2 ton truck with a V8 , certainly nothing to brag about and Ford F 150’s do equally as well or better

I agree , buy what you want and need , just quit telling me that your choice is perfect and my choice is a POS !!
The minimalist philosophy / religion seems to permeate these forums and often is not based in reality or fact .

Steve, my intention here was to let those that might be interested know that after a very long production run, the current Frontier model was about to end. You were the farthest thing from my mind. I should have realized that mentioning any Japanese pickup was inviting trouble. I'm sorry I started the thread.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #46

Name: Justus
Trailer: Hymer Touring GT
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Steve, my intention here was to let those that might be interested know that after a very long production run, the current Frontier model was about to end. You were the farthest thing from my mind. I should have realized that mentioning any Japanese pickup was inviting trouble. I'm sorry I started the thread.
It's like talking to a brick wall. Except this brick wall comes into the middle of your living room during a party and cuts you off from your sofa because your sofa only seats three, not six, and you obviously need a six-person sofa for your family of two if you're going to host a party, plus you bought it in the next town over--everyone knows that this town makes the best sofas.

Don't let a wall ruin a perfectly good party.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #47
Raz

Vermont
Point taken. Thank you.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:35 PM   #48

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Frontier

Been happy w our 2017 Frontier V6, 4 dr, long bed truck and plan on keeping it for awhile. Moving up to the Escape 21 this Spring and probably the V6 will still do..but may trade up to a more powerful engine if necessary..tho I really like the size of that 'mid size'. Cost new? $27000 and has a 10yr warantee. AC, AT, elec windows, tow pkg, decent stereo, USBs, cruise etc.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote