New gadgets from CES - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
New gadgets from CES

Hey everyone, I just returned from the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas and thought I would pass along an advance peek of the Chipolo GO. It’s a tracking device with a 6 month battery life. Great if you lay awake nights worrying about a stolen trailer. Combines Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS, and LTE so it’s never out of range. Accelerometer detects motion, size is slightly bigger than a lipstick case. Cost about $150
More info: https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Generation-LTE

Other gadgets if you have extra money burning a hole in your pocket:

Brava, a infrared oven that is twice as fast as a convection oven and runs much cooler.

North Face camper and clothing..... https://www.trucks.com/2019/01/11/no...iler-ces-2019/

And if you are really lazy check out the HeatWorks portable dishwasher that only uses about a gallon per wash. https://myheatworks.com/pages/tetra-specs
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #2

Name: Terry
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Cool!!
Thanks!
BahneCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:09 PM   #3

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
And if you are really lazy check out the HeatWorks portable dishwasher that only uses about a gallon per wash. https://myheatworks.com/pages/tetra-specs

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:05 AM   #4

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
So who are the other 2?
Old 01-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #5

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
So who are the other 2?

Visiting cats.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #6

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Spot Trace is a gps tracking device with 1 year battery life and costs $100. Been using it 3 years now.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #7

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOlson View Post
Spot Trace is a gps tracking device with 1 year battery life and costs $100. Been using it 3 years now.

That's what we use too. I really like it.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Don't most (all?) of the GPS tracking devices require a CLEAR VIEW of the sky? I thought "hiding" such a device under aluminum (or other metal / material) would prevent a device from "reporting" its' location. WiFi & Bluetooth don't seem practical for trying to track / locate a stolen trailer. I've also heard that thieves often utilize some sort of electronic jammer to prevent trackers from reporting their location.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #9

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
I mounted the Spot Trace just under the plastic escape hatch vent in the roof of our Scamp 16. I agree that it probably would not work beneath the foil insulation. I don’t think of it as a theft prevention tracking device but as a way our kids can see where we travel if they want.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
I had an enclosed car trailer stolen back in 2014 while in Elkhart, IN. I did not know that Elkhart is the trailer theft capital of the country. I now have a Featherlite open car trailer with an aluminum deck. If a tracking device is to be hidden, it would have to be somewhere on the underside hence, my concern for any tracking device's ability to actually BE tracked. Thieves are likely to get whatever trailer they've stolen into a building / warehouse (until they can re-VIN it and create new documents) which would further hinder any devices' ability to connect to whatever service a user would subscribe to. I know Lojack car theft trackers have "lost their luster" from when Lojack was first introduced. The police agency I worked for participated with Lojack for a short time. I'd say, for the last ~10 years I worked as a Patrol Officer, Lojack was NOT used by my former agency. Also, Lojack in vehicles have many more installation options and, more power with which to transmit a signal. Any palm sized tracker will, by its' compact size, be very limited in battery size and power. Either Kickstarter or Indiegogo had programs for small Bluetooth locator tags that, in my experience, were virtually useless. As much as I'd like to have protection for my trailer, I don't what to waste even $100 on a device that's NOT likely to provide the protection and service it promises.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:50 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
If a tracking device is to be hidden, it would have to be somewhere on the underside hence, my concern for any tracking device's ability to actually BE tracked. Thieves are likely to get whatever trailer they've stolen into a building / warehouse (until they can re-VIN it and create new documents) which would further hinder any devices' ability to connect to whatever service a user would subscribe to.
Perhaps these are concerns, but the question is are they valid concerns. My house has a metal roof and steel (not aluminum) siding, essentially making it a metal box. And I have been in commercial establishments which are essentially metal buildings. In spite of all of this, I can sit in my house and if location services are activated on my smart phone, activate any number of apps which utilize GPS, and can also do the same within the aforementioned “shielded” commercial buildings. Additionally, cellular and WiFi signals pass through my home’s walls. Perhaps if the thieves have an underground facility signals could not penetrate several inches/feet of soil. Tracking devices, however, while unable to claim to be totally foolproof can and do currently contribute to anti-theft efforts.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:50 AM   #12
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
I wonder if a simple sticker like this affixed to the tongue would be almost as effective.
Attached Thumbnails
4929A1BF-3AEF-4F1E-91CE-60127A3F924D.jpeg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner