New Grad wants to hit the road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2003, 07:19 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
New Grad wants to hit the road

Hi im going to be graduating this fall from college and i recently decided to take a tour of the USA in the summer before i start dental school with mu girlfriend. I was looking to buy a 13ft-16ft scamp, casita or other model (i dont really care how small it is it just needs to have an enclosed bathroom- girlfirends orders) and i was wonderinging a if a 1994 4 clylinder ranger 5 speed would do the trick. i have seen one advirtised in the papers by me for a decent price plus it has a k&N and a flowmaster muffler for some extra power- do u think this would be an adequite tow vehicle for a 16ft scamp ( both of us are real light packers so the trialer shoulnt bee too heavyily loaded with supplies)- or should i weight to see if a ranger goes on sale with a 3.0 V6 to be sure that it will handle the trtailer. I would like to stick to the 2.4l I4 and the 3.0 L V6 becuase of the good gas mileage and a nice used ranger or B-series (93-96) can also run as low as $3000 (great for a poor student with lots of loans and more to come) . Any comment woiuld be greatly appreciated.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:20 AM   #2

also

could anyone suggest any other good tow vehicles that come with a manual that could be used to tow a 16 ft trailer and cost less then $4000 (US)

Old 08-04-2003, 07:46 AM   #3

Alexander

Welcome to the forum!

What an an outstanding idea! Hooking up and going on a tour!

We have several on here that prefer stick shifts, so we'll wait and see what they say.

In the mean time Click Here for a sample of a few of the conversations on towing with a standard shift.

Look at some of the smaller ones. If you can stand it, a smaller one with bathroom might be all you need and you might be able to do that with what you have. Not sure though. We need to hear from some who have done it.

NOTE: Occasionally we do have a bit of fun and get off topic, so forgive any non-essential information. ;)

If you use the search feature (tab on the top right of the screen) you might come up with some more info on towing with a smaller truck.

Old 08-05-2003, 03:40 AM   #4

Ranger

Alexander,

Engine size (and power) is only part of the equation. Just as important for tow rating is the final gear ratio. If the Ranger has a 3.08 rear end, it's not for towing but is very efficient on the road. If it has a 4.10 rear end, it has excellent torque for towing. Anything in between has different tow ratings.

Check the owner's manual for the Ranger. Ford publishes the tow ratings for each combination of engine, transmission and rear end.

Pay particular attention to the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR). That's the combined weight of the truck and trailer, fully loaded. That includes you and your girlfriend, cargo and fluids.

Old 08-05-2003, 01:11 PM   #5

Right off the top of my head... a 16 footer with a 4cyl wouldn't be that good of a match. A 13 footer with a 4 banger you could pull off, but the 16 footer would be a bit too bulky I'm afraid. You can pick up a mid to late 90's two wheel drive 6 cyl/5 sp pick up for less than 4 grand easily, particuarily if you stay away from dealers. Don't forget the Dakota's! Granted they have a love it or hate it look to them, but everyone I know that has one loves them.

Also, trying to find a used 13 footer with a full bath can be a bit of a trick too. But keep at it... eventually you'll find the perfect one!

Old 08-05-2003, 02:44 PM   #6

Tow Rateings

Check this site for your 4 cyc. tow rating.
http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175