"New" MF brand, went to see today ~ Avco - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
1971 Avco 24 ft Molded Fiberglass trailer

This ad was posted in the referrals awhile back, and Jim, the owner, recently reposted. I am looking for a new "home" and my love of glass kept compelling me to have a look to see how it might work for me. Sadly, it will not due to it not being immediately livable, no doubt too much for the Jeep to tow, even reconfigured to lose weight, but I did look it over well, scrambled my brain to think of ways to make it work. If I didn't need a B.A.T and could move in as is, it would be sitting in my campsite right now.

It is quite unique and I am sure a one of a kind trailer. Is it of the 1960 Geographic caliber and value? No, certainly not. The fit and finish isn't even close, BUT... it is very unique and would turn heads and get lots of company at any rally it went to.

The ID plate says its 24 feet long, but I am thinking more like a 25 1/2. It measured almost 26 bumper to tongue. The coach is indeed molded glass and is constructed similar to Bigfoot, with a thick outer shell, and a "bathtub" bottom. I have never seen a bottom like this before, it was molded glass "waffled" between the frame structure, ala egg carton style. It has a wood interior liner, mostly luan and lovely 70s paneling. There is a ceiling liner, some sort of vinyl over luan and insulation. There was the problem for me, as you can imagine, it has sat outside for near 30 years, unmoved or maintained, and leaks from the usual suspects on glass trailers and condensation have taken its toll somewhat. There was a whiffy presence of mold, some wet carpeting in the floor cupboards etc. With my lungs, I couldn't risk a reno or repair.

It actually is NOT that bad, and considering its been in the weather this long, it could be a tremendous amount worse. I would consider it easily dealt with if I had the time and could risk the exposure. The almost full sized bathtub/shower and all the water fixturing appear solid, no leaks or rot as well.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #2

Registry
The floorplan is similar to the Geographic, with a front "L" shaped couch that makes into a bed, and a side sofa that also makes into a large bed. Streetside kitchen, and full HUGE rear bath with two very large hanging closets and dressing area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	livrm.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	29229
Attached Thumbnails
closets.jpg   kitchen.jpg  

Old 07-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #3

Registry

Name:	throne.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	29232
Attached Thumbnails
vanity.jpg  
Old 07-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #4

Registry

Name:	stoveoven.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	29234

I have never seen a furnace like this before. There was a thermostat, but it also was a manual light. He couldn't get it working when I was there, but he had never noticed the manual light controls until today. Its a Suburban. The inner plate is as shiny as the day it was made too.

Name:	<a title=furnace.jpg Views: 87 Size: 223.0 KB ID: 29236" style="margin: 2px" />
Attached Thumbnails
fridge.jpg  
Old 07-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #5

Registry
Real hip original clock and a working doorbell too!

Name:	clock.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	29237

Attached Thumbnails
doorbell.jpg   oregonidplate.jpg  

Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #6

Registry
Outside of the 70s decor.. eh hem, the bad..

In my opinion, its not towable as is. Looks like the original wheel and tires, the tires are badly checked and I was really surprised they held air. The wheels are an odd 4 bolt pattern and possibly 2 piece? The streetside rims are just..ugly and scary, where the curbside rims look actually OK.

Name:	wheel.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	29240

The propane and electrical lines are old and weathered, and the tanks are the old style as well. There also does not appear to be any kind of waste holding tanks, just a straight sewer outlet, no valves that I could see, tho the fresh water tanks are in good condition.

Name:	tongue1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	29242
Attached Thumbnails
wheel2.jpg   tongue2.jpg  

Old 07-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #7

Registry
The plastic parts on the roof have been weather damaged and here is an example of the ceiling.

Name:	ventsag.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	29244

The exterior is actually in pretty good condition considering it was outside so long. It does have many deep cracks in the gelcoat and lots of checking, but no breaks or real damage. It looks pretty good actually, if you step back a few feet. It will take some heavy buffing and a few spots of repair, like around the wheelwells, but nothing that hasn't been seen in any of the other brands this old.

Name:	street.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	29245

I wish someone here who could put the time and effort into it could get it. It really could be a gem with a little work, and not too much money.

Attached Thumbnails
curbgraphics.jpg  
Old 07-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #8

Registry
and yes, the awning is... toast. Too bad.. its pretty cool vintage style
Old 07-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
WOW!
That thing is Cool.

Too many toys,too little time.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I nominate whoever gets that as our exhalted leader here on the forums! Size matters
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #11

Registry
Big, it is. Its as wide and tall inside as my motorhome. 6+ footer would have no issues in it.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Fabulous find Gina! There was a guy on the RV.Net forum that completely restored an old Airsteam of about the same size. I think this has the potential of being much better. The fiberglass exterior practically begs for an extreme paint job. Price for restoration purposes is a bit high in my opinion but the seller seems willing to negotiate.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I vote Robert Johans buy it, then we could REALLY see all his craftsmanship. Wonder where he'd put the washer/dryer?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

WOW! Gina posted 8 straight times about this puppy! It is nice to see such enthusiasm!!

This trailer is soo huge as to strain the spirit of "molded fiberglass" which I always considered to mean making do with less. There are stickies that are smaller than this boat. LOL

OTOH, one of the fellows in our Good Sam group has a 15' Nash that is smaller than some MF rigs. Then there are the Scotties and teardrops...http://www.scottytrailers.com/pup.php

BTW, we followed a stickie the other day that had a humped roof. Really strange looking. Didn't get the brand name. From the rear, it looked like it was raised in the front and being towed by a wrecker.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #15

Registry
Bigfoot made a gihugey model too, 25 ft. This thing might actually be considered a small mobile home, rather than a big trailer.

Donna, thats a great idea!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #16

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
For posterity, since this may be a one-off trailer in the manner of Bardy's Geographic, I thought I'd preserve the original Craigslist photos and ad in this thread as well.

Ad:

Quote:
1971 Avco Travel Trailer - Vintage - $3995 (Oregon City)
Date: 2010-06-25, 8:44PM PDT
Reply to: xxxxxxxx[at]craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1971 Avco Travel Trailer.
25' Long
I do not know the Tow Weight...

Have researched this like crazy and have found out that Avco made this

trailer to compete with the High End Air Stream. Haven't seen any like it!

Have Title in hand.

Asking 3995.00 or best offer.

Please call xxx.xxx.xxxx
Attached Images

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:57 AM   #17

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Bigfoot made a gihugey model too, 25 ft. This thing might actually be considered a small mobile home, rather than a big trailer.
As a current owner of one of those Bigfoot gihugey models, I can tell you that it doesn't tow any differently than the 17' Bigfoot did. It's pretty amazing, and although I also have a stock-stripper 1400 lb Scamp 16 side dinette that I tow with my Honda Element, it's unlikely that I'll part with my 5400 lb Bigfoot 25RQ for a very long time. I use them for different kinds of travelling... and they're both excellent at doing what they were designed for.

This Avco, with work, could make someone who tows with a half-ton truck an excellent trailer. It would certainly be the talk of every campground you went to. The one thing I'm surprised about is that it doesn't have a black tank. Most manufacturers included black waste tanks by 1968, and but gray tanks didn't universally appear in trailers this size until about 1973 or 1974.

That furnace was a standard Suburban used in high-end trailers in 1968-1974 or so. I had one in my 1970 Airstream Safari. They were pretty efficient furnaces for their day... I don't know if parts are still available or not. Some of the old furnaces had a recalls on them about a part that cracked and could leak carbon monoxide, so anyone who gets this trailer would want to check that before using it.

Were it closer to me, It'd probably be in my yard by now!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Here is a link to the Airstream rebuild that Steve mentioned. It shows what is possible with talent and money. The post runs 37 pages but alot of it is "wows".

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseact...ng/1/page/1.cfm
Old 07-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Quote:
Here is a link to the Airstream rebuild that Steve mentioned. It shows what is possible with talent and money. The post runs 37 pages but alot of it is "wows".

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseact...ng/1/page/1.cfm
Thanks for posting the link Tom. Yes, all that's needed is talent, money and of course time.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Gina, thanks for the fantastic review and pics! The project is a bit out of my price range, and definitely too heavy for my Nissan Frontier, but woooo, it would be cool to have that in my driveway for a project/girl cave.

Threads like this are really helpful to us wanna-bees who are learning how to evaluate a potential rig. Much appreciated!
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote