New person here - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2010, 12:16 AM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
New person here

Thought I would introduce my self since the moderators were kinda enough to let me join in here.

I don't own a fiberglass camper, though had the opportunity to borrow a nice Trillium for a wedding I was best man at. On the condition that I help bring it back from the neglect of disuse. Over all it is in very nice shape. there are few issues with a trailer of that age from sitting. The top seals on the windows have dried and cracked away letting some water in if it rains hard enough. The hand pump for the sink has dry rotted and leaks.

Over all though I really like it, tows ok though tends to bounce quite a bit on our wonderful saskatchewan so called highway system. Comfort though is wonderful, even for me at 6foot. I liked so much I have kinda been doing some research and looking at ones for sale.

so of course that leads to many questions about things like available options. If like most things coming out of the 60s and 70s, I presumed you could option then any number of limitless ways.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
most had the basics- sink ,heater, stove, fridge.
rear table/bed and front bunks for the 13-15 footer, dual tables for the 17 footer.
after that it was a wide range of options including windows, shelving, bathroom, showers,add-a-rooms, awnings etc.
For the trilliums anyway.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Consider also the option (most often cheaper, oops I should say LESS EXPENSIVE) to buying new, buy a used one.

Size (13/17ft and up, fifth wheel) is often determined with the tow vehicle, car or truck, you are most apt to be using on a long term/regular basis.
These options then become almost endless......IMHO!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Welcome Sean

It sounds like your "loaner" trailer is a great introduction. Don't be surprised if your own trailer finds you - they have a way of doing that!

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #5

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Lol, thanks, yea I think one may follow me home some day though the "loaner" was well optioned for a 13', with the bunks (removed by curent owner for more space) a larger fridge, isoslated 120 and 12V systems, heater located under the sink and the frosted glass window over the stove.

The little egg needs work like new weather stripping across the windows and some cosmetic things. like stove knobs, the orginals were replaced with ones from a BBQ for some reason and doesn't allow for proper use of the controls.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 71 Boler
Welcome, have fun and enjoy
Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #7

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
If it seems too bouncy, check the tire pressure. The max pressure on the sidewall is assuming you have the max load on the tire. Most of these tires can carry quite a bit more than a fiberglass camper, so you might want to lower the air pressure to match the weight of the Trillium.

I don't know what tires you have, but mine are Goodyears. Goodyear has a chart that tells you what pressure to use depending on what the weight on each tire is. For instance, my tires have a max pressure of 50 PSI if there is 1,360 pounds on each tire. For the weight of my Scamp 13 loaded to camp, Goodyear recommends 20 PSI.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote