New Pet in the family - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #1

Name: Brenda
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Hi All,

This is Thumper. He has been with us only a week, but has provided hours of entertainment and we learn something new about him every day.

Thumper's previous life consisted of dogs, cats, other rabbits, noisy kids, not much attention and food...lots of it. He is not shy or anxious when it comes to our dog, Buddy, and enjoys the licks on the head and kisses from him.

He's been in vehicles before and doesn't seem stressed or phased by anything. We would like to take him with us on weekend jaunts.

Has anyone had this experience?

Thanks.

Brenda
Attached Thumbnails
Resize_of_IMG_1102.JPG  
Brenda Novakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Thumper looks like a fine addition to the family! He's cute.

On taking him with you....Do you have proper containment for him AT ALL TIMES tho? Remember, he is your buddy, but out in the woods or even now these days, in just a plain rural area, rabbit is (I don't mean to be indelicate) the universal snack for many many wild creatures.

While a coyote may look a couple times at your mini Fido in your campsite, he will probably have to do some soul searching to decide if puppy fuzzy critter is an edible delicatible worth risking going near people for.

Thumper, on the other hand, is not even questionable. Rabbits are clearly prey, and will attract all kinds of hungry wildlife. And you will be no barrier for them. They have a goal.

NEVER let him out of his cage or secure enclosure for even a second. He will get swooped apon from the ground or above faster than you can say "Kibble"
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Ditto to what Gina said. Plus rabbits are very sensitive to warm-hot weather and stress. I have seen them crash from both (I do animal rescue).

He sure is a cutie! I love his name, the kids must have named him?
Old 03-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Oh Thumper is soooo cute...... No experience in taking a little critter like that camping...
My son had a little dwarf as a pet... unfortunatally he was an escape artist and had a friend taking care of him while we were on vacation..... so he got out of his cage out in their barn...... no more rabbitt..... .... Rabbitts are so soft and cute..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
I would say Go ahead, take the cutie pie, but only after you have spent a few afternoons/evenings out the yard with him. Does he stay nearby or go AWOL? Do neghbourhood crows start discussing what sauce they would use? Do nearby dogs go crazy barking or trying to chase him?

We take our 12-year-old cat camping with us, which many people thinks is NUTS or WRONG or just PLAIN CRAZY. We mostly boondock near home. Oh, and also be prepared to leave TWO hours later than planned because Thumpy is hiding -- in the trailer!

PS Canadian campgrounds (at least the less formal ones we like to use) have hardly any rules re pets.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:05 AM   #6

Trailer: '74 Ventura
Something we know a bit about
We've had several House Rabbits over the years - Our current
Bun is named Julie, and while she has yet to gone on a trip with us
(we just got a TT) she will be going. We have in the past taken
our bun / buns with us.
Buns like to chew so get a very sturdy Cat Travel Crate to keep
your Thumper in while traveling (tho we will let them ride up front
with us in a basket, with one of us gently petting, just to keep them
"calm", as you know by now they are curious and would rather be free )
- also one of those portable yard
fences that is high enough he can't "hop" over, so he can graze while
YOU are there - crows WILL land in there if people aren't around - so
anytime Thumper is out one of YOU must be present - and as an aside
I would never let Thumper run free anywhere's while camping as there
will be the UNleashed dog that will pounce (just nature).
And what Lizbeth said is correct H E A T is a very bad thing for bunnies,
so always as cool as possible - but Thumper sounds pretty "mellow" so I
don't think he will stress out. Another thing is that bunnies are very sensitive
to the water they drink - so always bring some from his regular source for
his drinking.
Also ours have always been litterbox trained - and if you get Thumper to do the same,
you will have to bring his regular litter box (they don't like different) so he will use it.
For a "ton" of info just google House Rabbit society - great source of "real world"
info.

Have fun with Thumper
ttmatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
With litter training, it does seem like traveling with a rabbit would be much like traveling with a cat. We have taken our 15-year-old cat with us on a trailer trip, and here are a few observations...
  • the litter box is a pain in the trailer, because there needs to be a space for it, but we found it could be under the far end of the dinette during the day, and moved to be more accessible just under the dinette when made up as a bed
  • the cat rode in the van with us, on the passenger's lap or in a basket on the console, with a blanket
  • to prevent tragic accidents when a door opened, the cat wore a harness which was always attached to a leash tied to something - enough slack to allow movement, but not enough to let her run outside
  • the cat was usually free to move around the trailer as well, but that means being very careful about opening the door
  • we took a normal cat crate for times when neither the van nor trailer were securely closed
  • instead of using the crate, we normally carried her between van and trailer, holding on to the leash or harness for safety
I agree that cats, and even more so rabbits, are regular items on the wilderness carnivore menu. Losing either in the unfamilliar surroundings of a campsite (or other stop) is a significant concern, but it can be handled.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium
I've had up to 30 angora rabbits at a time, never wanted the traditional cages as I think it's mean to the animal - had them in communal pens with outdoor runs etc. It's amazing how coyotes and owls etc can get to them when you think you've got them very secure. More than once I've been heartbroken finding a headless rabbit in it's pen (that's the signature sign an owl has visited) . If you are going to take the cutie along - be very careful!!
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:40 PM   #9

Name: Brenda
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies.

I never even thought of birds trying to prey on poor Thumper. I'll really have to watch for that - even at home. In the house, he's never out of our site if he's running loose. We've knew he loved to chew, but as we are in the process of renovating, have no baseboards in our living room and loves to rip pieces of drywall off the walls at his exact height so any movement has to be watched.

He is used to a harness and leash, so if we were outside, would be tethered at all times to one of us. As far as his home, we can fit his big kennel, complete with loft and potti facilities, into the truck and when we are away from the campsite, move it into the trailer and at night move it back into the truck. He has come to think of his new kennel as his secure place, and if anything spooks him (rare) or he wants peace and quiet always retreats back to his spot.

The heat factor was something we were aware of and would have to park the trailer in a shady spot when we were away fishing for a few hours if he was in the trailer. It's rare that it gets unbearably hot where we live, so I think he would be okay.

Another thing I thought of was he eats/nibbles on things steady - that little nose and mouth are always going. If he's on his leash exploring outside and starts picking things off the ground, what is good and what isn't for him to eat in the great outdoors?

He is a fun little gommer and is great company for Buddy, but the more I think about this, maybe Thumper should be left at home safe and sound with lots of hay, kibbles and water for our weekend jaunts.

One thing I do know for sure...he's going to be cared for by someone else when we head to Oregon this summer.

Brenda
Brenda Novakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:57 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...The heat factor was something we were aware of and would have to park the trailer in a shady spot when we were away fishing for a few hours if he was in the trailer. It's rare that it gets unbearably hot where we live, so I think he would be okay...
This sounds like a good reason to have a thermostatically-controlled exhaust fan, such as a MaxxFan or Fantastic Fan; if it gets too warm, fresh air flows.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote