New rv - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Cool New rv

Deb and I bought a ' New to Us ' RV yesterday. I don't think that it qualifies as lightweight, molded, or even fiberglass. It is a 35' Fleet-wood Bounder. As I have retired (still working, but getting that ss check) and Deb is a year away, we started to think about seeing more of the country. We'll keep to house and Compact Jr. as home base and fast travel items. Sat up late last night planning first trip, someplace local for shake down, then Yellowstone NP in Aug. then wonder through ID, UT, CO, AZ,NM back home. But first we have to give PO time to get moved out into a ' fixed ' home!
And the price could not be beat, only twice what we paid for 'There yet' on e-bay. ( read cheep,cheep)
Old 05-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'n'Deb View Post
Deb and I bought a ' New to Us ' RV yesterday. I don't think that it qualifies as lightweight, molded, or even fiberglass.
Bet it has a hitch on it, though...perfect match for yer existing trailer for when relatives want to come along etc. Talk about a "Mother-in-Law" apartment!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Congrats on the purchase. A little luxury travel never hurt anybody Wonder how many members here have big for travel/snowbird times and little for summers at home. I know there are a few.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm.... Going over to the Dark Side I see....
How appropriate on StarWars Day

May the Fourth Be With You

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Nice. As my DH would say "a driving trailer". Hitch up your egg to it and use it to transport your toys... Bikes, barbee, etc.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #6

Registry
I think I will have enough to do just manage about 16' of wagging tail, it is friendly RV.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #7

Registry
Fun while it lasted!

The 35 foot Bounder was fun while it lasted; on August 22, I rolled the beast. Lost the brakes in the hills south of Wilkes-Barre, PA. Totaled!! "They" gave me three days to get what I could out of it (not much time). Got a U-haul and dollie to bring VW (toad)and stuff home to TX. So, 'RV there yet' will be coming out of storage, refitted, re-painted, and put back on the road (while we look for some bigger, We got used to the room in Bounder.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The best accident is the one you live to tell about. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but glad to hear you're okay and the Compact Jr. will be hitting the road again.

What is "bigger" going to look like this time?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:51 AM   #9

Registry
The some thing bigger, well, 'IT', whatever it turns out to be, will have to have a bathroom (with at least a shower, tub would be better), full sized refrigerator, stove w/oven, A/C and heater, and full sized bed. We did get a little spoiled by the room in the HM.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Don,
We had a Bounder for 8 years, making a number of loops of the USA. We quickly learned it was 'well underbraked'and easily overloaded, 90 gall0n fuel tank and a 100 gallon water tank can clearly make it a dangerous vehicle.b We learned to use the transmission early on long downhills to keep the speed down. As well the slides for the disc brakes tended to get dirty and occasionally lock the brake pad to disc, overheating in minutes.

As well we also learned it was under cooled. We added a water mister to the radiator and transmission cooler using the wiper pump. W would activate that on long climbs. The transmission cooler in my Honda Odyssey is much larger than in the Bounder, at least with the Ford Chassis.

All that said we loved our Bounder putting over 100,000 miles on it over 8 years.

Once we found our small trailer we loved how our range to go really out became possible, Now small trailer people entirely.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote