NEW SCAMP HORROR STORY - PART i - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 1989 Scamp 13 ft
Ken C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Dave and Linda both reported the same AC tilt in the 16' roof mold from 2003. It might imply the past 8 years of production has the same AC tilt. Can any other 16 foot owners here let us know if you have the AC tilt or not?
In Jan 0f this year 2011, I purchased a used 2003 Side Dinette without AC. After reading several reports of AC roof problems in this model I called Scamp and spoke with Kent Eveland. I was considering installing a roof top AC unit and I wanted to know if he could trace the VIN number to determine if my unit had been prepped for AC at the factory. He told me that all the records from that model year had been destroyed in the plant fire. I then asked him if he was aware of the AC roof issue with side dinette models. He told me that he had heard of the problem with units having AC units installed without the roof prep. He was not aware of any problems with any trailers having the AC's installed at the Scamp plant.

When the production manager called me to go over my spec sheet I mentioned my concern about proper vertical roof support for the AC unit and I was assured that it would not be a problem.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
I am about to order a new 13 within the next month or two, and am dying to see the response to this... Let's face it - every company can produce a lemon now and again as long as a human has their hands in designing and producing any type of product - the real differences between companies is how they try to make things right...
Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #23

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I would demand that they deliver a new unit and pickup your unit. You should not be expected to travel hundreds of miles to replace a defective unit. If they do not agree, you may have to involve a lawyer and pursue/threaten legal action.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Your complaint is with your new 2011 not your old one right? I will assume so. You said you researched before you bought your 2011 and knew about the titled A/C before you bought it. It's a know way scamps are built, we both agree here for around 8 years. I don't see how scamp is in the wrong for something you already knew about before you bought it.

Another (separate from above) issue you mentioned is proper vertical roof support for the AC unit. In what way is your new 2011 trailer improperly vertically roof supported? Isn't it supported in the same way they have been building them for the past 8 years?

Now last, just to clarify for our members here, you have copy and pasted your complaint here and the Yahoo group before Scamp has even responded to your complaints. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #25

Trailer: 1989 Scamp 13 ft
1. Yes, the complaint is about my 2011 Front Sofa Model.
2. I assumed that this was the cause of the problems.
3. Yes, I belong to the Scampers forum as well as this one.
4. Yes, I posted my comments before they made a decision. I paid about $14,000 for that privilege.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #26

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
That's really too bad this sort of thing had to happen. Sure hope they step up to the plate and make it right. I as others have said would probably drive it back to the factory also, just to get the ball moving quicker. I'm sure you don't want this to drag out. Anyway good luck with it.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
If the tilt problem is due to inadequate support for the A/C's weight, then that would indeed be a serious matter. I was envisioning it as just a slant to the roof from perhaps the shape of the mold.

I am pretty sure I would have turned around and headed back to MN after the first night, to get the plumbing I'd paid for.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #28

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
It's almost as if this unit got yanked from production because of these flaws but not removed from "stock" and then sold to you. I had this happen with a multi-stage roof top HVAC unit that cost about $100k and when we went to wire it noticed the control cabinet was empty and upon further inspection found other components missing. Manufacturer admitted it was their mistake and shipped another and paid us to scrap the bad one. It can happen anywhere to anyone it only takes one person having a bad day to ruin yours. Maybe some sort of compromise would be in your best interest like meeting them halfway to exchange units. These issues are what kills these types of companies and they should realize that a reasonable solution slightly tilted in your favor would serve them well.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #29

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
My 2010 16 ft Scamp (front sofa) has a very small tilt in the roof. You would not notice it if you walk by it but you have to stand in front of the trailer and really look at it for a while to see it. For a while I just thought that I could not get it level but then I noticed that there was a definite tilt to the roof and AC. When I went to a welder to have two leveling jacks installed on the front of the frame he pointed out to me that the whole shell is actually offset and tilted to the left on the frame.

I called scamp and was told that that’s the way the mold is for two reasons. One was so the AC unit drains condensation water to the left side of the trailer, and two, apparently the Dometic 3-way fridge needs to be mounted slightly unleveled to work.

Sounds like your issue with the plumbing was too bad and apparently something in production was missed. I had an issue after about 6 months from pick-up with the left electric brake shorting out. I called up scamp and they told me to visit an RV dealer and they will pay for the repair. I took it to Camping world and Scamp paid for it with out a problem so I am sure they will make you whole on your situation.

I would like to know how extreme the tilt is in the roof. Like I said mine is only noticeable if you stand in front of the trailer and stare at it for a minute or so. I would say tilted about 1 degree.

Chris
Old 08-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Perspective

Some thoughts on Fiberglass manufacturers.

Most Fiberglass trailer manufacturers sell direct to the end user. They have good reasons to maintain excellent customer relationships and to ship products that work well. They have no local dealers to repair their failings.

A company that does not have customer care as a mantra will not be in business for long. Both Scamp and Casita have been around for a long time; I suspect they are doing something right beyond making products that last for many decades.

Do they sometimes ship imperfect products? Of course. When they have a problem their rule has to be fix the problem, with the customer to create a satisfied customer because satisfied customers create more sales. Similarly they have every reason to fix the problem at their manufacturing facility because eliminating problems creates profits necessary to keep the business going. They can not afford to do less with the customer or with manufacturing quality.

It's reasonable for customers to have complaints, nothing is perfect. It is reasonable also to wait for a company response to know their solution. We must work for solution and improvement in all that we do.

Norm
Old 08-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
So now we have Dave, linda and Chris who have the ac tilt. We have not been given proof of an inadequately supported roof by the OP. Keith Lovingly said it was a POS. What does Kent Eveland get in return for all this? These posts will live forever in google before he has even been given time to respond. Does not seem fair to me.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #32

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think that Scamp will be vindicated, that once the op finds out that the tilt is necessary (I wished my old trailer had it built in) for condensate purposes and once Scamp fixes his plumbing that all will be good again here in Fiberglass land. It is a combination of misinformation and lack of knowledge that creates paranoia. In the end everything will be fine.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #33

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Upon review between the forum moderators, we have decided to keep this thread visible but closed to additional posts. Hopefully, the OP, Dennis will keep the forum informed of Scamp's reaction and solution to his problems. These will then be posted either here or on a new post. Thank you.
Closed Thread

Tags
scamp