NEW SCAMP HORROR STORY - PART i - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 1989 Scamp 13 ft
Thumbs down NEW SCAMP HORROR STORY - PART i

Just got back from 5 day, 2022 mile trip to Backus, MN to pick up my new Scamp 16. Assured by everyone that all water lines, gas, air cond, furnace, etc had been checked out and the trailer was ready to roll. After doing my personal inspection and doing the paper work I headed bac to TN.

Day one at campground I decide to hook-up water and flood entire trailer floor. Assuming that a fitting was loose I borrowed a mop from office and after mopping up floor opened cabinet door to connect fittings. Wrong assumption. There was no fitting. There wasn't even a water line. There was no water line running from the main water line at the outside hook up connected to the sink faucet.

But wait, there's more. There was no line connecting my sink to the gray water holding tank. The only plumbing fixture was the connection between the fresh water tank and the sink.

But wait, there's more. On day two as I returned to the trailer from the rest room I noticed that the air cond was extremely off-level. I climbed on the propane tank and made an inspection and found no dents and the unit was strongly secured. I assumed that the unit would simply need shimming up on one side to reach level.

But wait, there's more. On day three I stop at an rv dealer in IL to have them inspect the air cond to find out what had to be done to correct it. The good news is that the air cond was installed correctly. The bad news, the roof of my trailer is higher on the door side than it is on the stove side. The technician had me step inside the trailer and showed me where I had more clearance between the top of my head and the ceiling on the door side vs the stove side. He also said that the air cond was so out of level that he would not attempt to run it.

I called Kent Eveland who owns Scamp Trailers. Very pleasant man. Informed him of my problem. Told him that I did not want to keep this trailer and I did not want to make another trip to Backus, MN to correct the matter. He apologized and asked that I send photos and he would make a decision. The solution for me is to send me another trailer and pick this factory reject up. Keep in mind that I pulled my 03 Scamp up there and left it as a trade.

I will give Mr Eveland the chance to make matters right. My advice to anyone going up there is to not believe a word that anyone tells you. Have them physically show you all the fittings and check for fit. There is a campground 3 miles fron the plant on HWY 87. Spend the night there and check out everything.

Stay tuned boys and girls. Part II of this story is going to be the Kent Eveland decision.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Hey Dennis;
So you are, ADDJMB! boy you just never know do ya?Although I should have recognised you in your flamboyant prose!
Seriously...Sorry to here about your troubles, and I sincerely hope that all of your problems are promptly resolved.
Sounds like you ran into a great tech guy here in illannoy.
What deliterious result did he predict would come from running the A/C off level?
I am looking with great anticipation to "Part Deux". I'm sure it will be presented with the same great style and alacrity.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
DENNIS ARCHER you said you did a personal inspection yourself.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #4

He didn't say and I didn't ask. After I got the demonstration on the ceiling condition I was too depressed to care.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
When you say new and Backus I presume brand new, wow how about that good ol American quality, Know wonder we buy so much foreign stuff. Sorry to hear about that.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #6

Yes I checked and inspected as much as I thought was possible. No, I did not look under the sink cabinet and the air cond position was not noticeable until I was some distance off from the trailer with an end view. Checking the roof for level was not something I thought about doing.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #7

Yes, this was a brand new Scamp 16. Cost over $14,000.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
What a shame.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Wow! And here I was upset that a window and a tail light leaked on my new EggCamper.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Boy do I know where you're at. It really chills your enthusiasm. It is unfortunate you didn't have time to take it back the first day and confront them in person. Putting it "in their face" might have brought quicker action.

According to the Scamp video each camper has a checklist attached and folks are suppose to sign off as their job is completed. How do you miss the plumbing?

In any event I suspect they will take care of it. Let's hope they realize that lots of people are watching to see how you are treated. Good luck, Raz
Old 08-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
That is unacceptable quality and in my opinion, unacceptable customer service.

As Raz says, lots of people are reading this .

CindyL
Old 08-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #12

I don't recall signing a checklist. There was no walk-thru using a checklist. If I had discovered how serious the roof was on the first day I would have made a u-turn. It was the third day of trip when I had it inspected. The plumbing matters I planned to take care of myself if they would send me the missing parts. My major concern is the roof. I don't see how this can be fixed.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Any photos of the roof problem?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS ARCHER View Post
I don't recall signing a checklist. There was no walk-thru using a checklist. If I had discovered how serious the roof was on the first day I would have made a u-turn. It was the third day of trip when I had it inspected. The plumbing matters I planned to take care of myself if they would send me the missing parts. My major concern is the roof. I don't see how this can be fixed.
I am afraid you misunderstood. The Scamp video shows the builders signing off on a checklist not the owner and one would assume that the checklist would include the plumbing. Raz
Old 08-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
It is hard to imagine the A/C being so crooked as to hamper operation. I understand you are rightfully steamed up about the whole thing. The whole plumbing thing is inexcusable. But my feeling is that the roof issue probably doesn't affect function much if at all, and is more of a cosmetic issue... one that could affect resale value no doubt, but not structural integrity or A/C function. A trailer can probably be more unlevel just from how it's parked and still not keep the A/C from cooling decently, I think (but I could be wrong).

Not having the plumbing installed is just way-over-the-top sloppy and ridiculous, though. If I owned the company I'd fire some lazy butts for that.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #16

At this point the AC unit is not the issue. The issue is paying over $14,000 for a unit with a sloping roof. I could care less about the AC. AC units can be repaired if need be. I want a solution to my roof problem.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Dennis, this is from one who is a bit "long in the tooth" in situations like this. I know you don't want to do it, but if I were you, I'd figure out SOMEWAY to drag that POS right back up there to the factory ASAP and either get your money back and walk away, or get another new one that is CORRECT and you will feel good about. Again, from my experience, I would suspect you are never going to have warm fuzzies about that POS unit and the SCAMP company. And, you bet....tons of folks are watching what they do.

Said with love, my man,

EKW
Old 08-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I agree you should be given a new unit. You paid for a new, perfect unit and that is what you should have. Who knows what other inferior work may show up in the future if the obvious stuff wasnt even right. For what you paid I would not live with a sloping roof. Scamp should come to you with the exchange unit. Actually, I'd think they'd upgrade you to a Deluxe model for your trouble.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #19

You're right and it may come to that. Right now I am hoping that they will do the right thing. A lot of people are reading this and I hope no one else has to go through this. If I had one on order right now I would be doing some serious thinking.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Dave and Linda both reported the same AC tilt in the 16' roof mold from 2003. It might imply the past 8 years of production has the same AC tilt. Can any other 16 foot owners here let us know if you have the AC tilt or not?
Closed Thread

Tags
scamp