New Shoes!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
New Shoes!!

Baby's got a new pair of shoes!! Went to Discount Tire this morning and got 2 Kumo Ectas ASTs size 205/50/16. Out the door for $192. They even threw in chrome valve stems! She tows so nice and stops on a dime with her Surge Brakes. Didnt even know she was back there. Of course the fastest speed was only 45 mph since it was all town but still nice. She is even narrower than my popups were. Looks to be exactly the same width as my van so my tow mirrors aren't really necessary. I can see behind the trailer just fine.

So we should be headed out tomorrow morning with new tires, new battery, full propane tank and a window A/C unit. Now I need to wash laundry and pack.

I'm picking up US 82 in GA all the way to Hwy 287 in TX just North of DFW down to Bridgeport where my inlaws are. First night should be in Eufaula, MS on the GA border in an Army Core of Engineers Park. I'll probably arrive some time Thursday in TX and stay till Monday morning. That way I avoid weekend traffic and the kids can swim in their pool and see Cars 2 otherwsie they have to wait till we get back and for it to come out on DVD. Also, their cousins are visiting from Tennessee so they get to play a few days and break the trip up. From Bridgeport I'll head North and on into CO and WY. Since I wasnt planning on the CO route I havent chosen a hwy and dont have a CO map yet. Hope to see some beautiful country in CO. Used to live in the Springs back in '87. Also will escape the heat! The kids have never been to CO.

Not sure how much I'll be on the forum till I get back. My folks now have DSL so hopefully I can pop in occasionally. If not, I'll post when I return around Aug 5 or so.

Thanks for all the help in preparing for this trip.

E'body enjoy their summer, be safe and have fun camping!

Melissa
Old 06-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Have fun and enjoy your time on the road. Since you have the gift of time, don't rush things... stop and look at all the amazing sights!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Melissa, we'll all be waiting for a road update and pictures!

Safe travels
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Be careful (and forwarned...) that those nice looking chrome valve stems can be a PAIN!! I had a set of four on our daily driver and when I went to check/reset the tire pressure, I found I couldn't (without wrecking the valve stems) remove my matching chrome valve stem covers due to RUST!!. Tire shop dudes tell me that NOW when they install the chrome stems they are SURE to use either plastic or rubber stem caps.....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Congrats Melissa! It looks like everything is coming together and just in time. Enjoy your trip and share when you can.
Best wishes.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
SAFE TRAVELS, melissa!!!!! after following your preparations here on the forum, i feel like i am heading out right along with you. take tons of photos and more importantly---share some with us!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #7

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Melissa

I don't know where you are heading in Wyoming but I would recommend taking 287 from Bridgeort TX to Limon CO, then catch I-70 to Denver and I-25 north to Wyoming. I just made a trip from The Colony TX to Golden CO a couple of weeks ago towing a 27' (non-fiberglass) camper. There is some construction in Oklahoma with about 5 miles of one lane road with pilot car control and possibly a bit of construction between the southern Colorado border and Limon where 287 intersects with I-70. I-70 and 287 are one and the same to Denver. From there you can head north on I-25 to Wyoming.

Most of 287 in Colorado is new concrete road. Just a couple of sections of old blacktop road. Oklahoma is mostly blacktop. There are a few small towns between the Texas border and Limon. Some have RV camping facilities especially in Lamar where there are at least two campgrounds.

I just returned from Lamar CO Saturday on 287 and it was a clean shot to Limon.

If you have any questions send me a PM and I will try to clarify

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Thanks Orlen, Excellent info!! I'm headed to the NE Corner of WY to Sundance. I'll get my map out and see where that route winds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlen Wolf View Post
Melissa

I don't know where you are heading in Wyoming but I would recommend taking 287 from Bridgeort TX to Limon CO, then catch I-70 to Denver and I-25 north to Wyoming. I just made a trip from The Colony TX to Golden CO a couple of weeks ago towing a 27' (non-fiberglass) camper. There is some construction in Oklahoma with about 5 miles of one lane road with pilot car control and possibly a bit of construction between the southern Colorado border and Limon where 287 intersects with I-70. I-70 and 287 are one and the same to Denver. From there you can head north on I-25 to Wyoming.

Most of 287 in Colorado is new concrete road. Just a couple of sections of old blacktop road. Oklahoma is mostly blacktop. There are a few small towns between the Texas border and Limon. Some have RV camping facilities especially in Lamar where there are at least two campgrounds.

I just returned from Lamar CO Saturday on 287 and it was a clean shot to Limon.

If you have any questions send me a PM and I will try to clarify

Orlen
Old 06-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #9

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Baby's got a new pair of shoes!! Went to Discount Tire this morning and got 2 Kumo Ectas ASTs size 205/50/16. Out the door for $192. They even threw in chrome valve stems! She tows so nice and stops on a dime with her Surge Brakes. Didnt even know she was back there. Of course the fastest speed was only 45 mph since it was all town but still nice. She is even narrower than my popups were. Looks to be exactly the same width as my van so my tow mirrors aren't really necessary. I can see behind the trailer just fine.

So we should be headed out tomorrow morning with new tires, new battery, full propane tank and a window A/C unit. Now I need to wash laundry and pack.

I'm picking up US 82 in GA all the way to Hwy 287 in TX just North of DFW down to Bridgeport where my inlaws are. First night should be in Eufaula, MS on the GA border in an Army Core of Engineers Park. I'll probably arrive some time Thursday in TX and stay till Monday morning. That way I avoid weekend traffic and the kids can swim in their pool and see Cars 2 otherwsie they have to wait till we get back and for it to come out on DVD. Also, their cousins are visiting from Tennessee so they get to play a few days and break the trip up. From Bridgeport I'll head North and on into CO and WY. Since I wasnt planning on the CO route I havent chosen a hwy and dont have a CO map yet. Hope to see some beautiful country in CO. Used to live in the Springs back in '87. Also will escape the heat! The kids have never been to CO.

Not sure how much I'll be on the forum till I get back. My folks now have DSL so hopefully I can pop in occasionally. If not, I'll post when I return around Aug 5 or so.

Thanks for all the help in preparing for this trip.

E'body enjoy their summer, be safe and have fun camping!

Melissa
Seatbelts tight girl!
Your in our prayers~
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote