New solar panel announcement from Xunlight in Toledo, OH - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #1

Name: Raymond
Trailer: 2011 EggCamper
Ohio
Registry
New solar panel announcement from Xunlight in Toledo, OH

For anyone interested, check out this story in the Toledo Blade: http://www.toledoblade.com/Energy/20...ere-power.html

Raymond
RaymondC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Holy Toledo!

Ok, I've been waiting for a chance to say that.

Nice looking product, but no word of when or where it can be purchased, or how much output, or price.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Efficiency measured in megawatts!

"......Xunlight's panels should perform at about 15 megawatt efficiency and weigh much less than traditional glass panels, Mr. Kebrdle said......"

This is a good example of clueless reporter. I could not find actual efficiency numbers. 15 megawatts likely relates to manufacturing plant peak efficiency.

The key aspect of selecting right solar panels is availability of space, that is why some select most efficient panels.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #4

Name: Raymond
Trailer: 2011 EggCamper
Ohio
Registry
I think they're trying to get the marketing figured out. I'm sure there will be more on this product in the near future. BTW, I have no stake in the company -- just passing along some information.
RaymondC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I am waiting for a 24x36" (approx.) flexible solar panel. I would then make a lightweight foldable frame for it. It could be rolled up and stored away in a nice tight package, to be brought out and use only when needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Here is a link to the website of the company making the panels
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
That helps, Carol, thanks. Hm, 88 watts from a panel of about 6' x 3'. Sounds about right for amorphous panels, I think.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am waiting for a 24x36" (approx.) flexible solar panel. I would then make a lightweight foldable frame for it. It could be rolled up and stored away in a nice tight package, to be brought out and use only when needed.
Good plan Jim I am waiting to buy a new one as well. My current one is low watts and its about 16" x 30" but I would like more watts for winter camping (furnace is a power hog). With my current one I covered the two pieces of foam it was shipping in with a nylon slip covers and put a number of wide velcro strips around the sides to act as a hinge and to close it up tight. I installed 4 small SS marine u shaped bolts to the outside wall of the bathroom, at the front of the trailer and attached some black bungee cord with clips on it, so the panel stays tucked away and safe up against the wall & out of the way while traveling. Used small SS acorn nuts on the bathroom side of the wall where the bolts went through. Hardly notice them. I put a pocket on the outside of the panel bag that holds the portable PVC stand I made that breaks down fit into it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
its not in a finished state yet, but a company my son is working for is almost ready to produce a paint on solar roof coating. i know nothing of the details,,, but if it worked fairly well,,,would be a pretty cool thing .
so far its been improving slowly and is now 4 times stronger then the original attempt. i don't know if that equals the power output of a gnats brain,,,or a hydrogen bomb, but as a famous german sargent used to say,,,,verrrrry interesting.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel