New squeaking noise, this weeks puzzler - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #1

Name: Rich
Trailer: Scamp
United States
Registry
New squeaking noise, this weeks puzzler

We've replaced the "clunk" noise that was the result of our axle tab not being welded to the frame with a new squeaking noise coming from the axle at about the hub. This was our first weekend out since Scamp welded the axle to the frame. The clunking noise is gone but now we've picked up a low pitched squeaking noise. I had my wife walk back and forth while I went outside and listened. It appears to be coming from the area of the hubs on either side. I did notice that the Scamp would rock just a little back and forth when she walked and that corresponded to the sound I was hearing. The wheels were chocked and the rear stabilizers were down. As an experiment, I added a couple of screw jack stands to the front but they didn't make any difference. We were on a mildly sloping site with the front lower than the back. It's possible that we had the stabilizers extended too far, taking more load off the wheels than necessary. That's the only thing I can think of that might have created this sound. Any thoughts as to what we're hearing?

St Paul, MN
rpassmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:46 PM   #2

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Did you try laying under the Scamp and let her walk and listen? I noticed the Scamp is only 3 yrs old??? You said a piece was broken. Possible that it stressed yet ANOTHER area and it's cracked as well?

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #3

Name: Rich
Trailer: Scamp
United States
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Did you try laying under the Scamp and let her walk and listen? I noticed the Scamp is only 3 yrs old??? You said a piece was broken. Possible that it stressed yet ANOTHER area and it's cracked as well?
Nothing broken. The previous owner had a replacement axle installed under warranty and the shop they used failed to weld the frame to the axle. The weld fixed our floor noise but now we have this squeak. I did go outside and listen. The noise seemed to be coming from the wheels. As she walked, the trailer rocked for and aft just a bit. I suspect we had unloaded the axle too much when we set out the stabilizers and tongue jack.

Itís back in our storage yard on level ground and no rear stabilizers. Iím going to see if I hear anything. I also plan to repack my bearings so I will get a chance to inspect the hubs.
St Paul, MN
rpassmore is offline   Reply With Quote