New to Forums, can't find topic - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #1

Name: Caitlin
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
New to Forums, can't find topic

Has anyone already started a topic on casually renting out your trailer? i searched but couldn't find one. I just got my 1973 Trillium 1300 and want to rent it to friends for cheap, to help recoup the cost of buying and maintaining it. Just curious to talk to others doing the same, see if anyone has tips, sample contracts or other thoughts (like DON'T DO IT! haha).

thanks!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Here is one discussion:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-38213.html
Old 02-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks Melissa!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
It didn't work for Uhaul!!!!!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #5

British Columbia
no, but I'm not thinking of it as a business. Only to close friends. I am enjoying reading all about all the reasons not to, giving me good perspective
Old 02-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can understand why people might want to consider it. It's not for me, but I can understand. Just be certain to know your LIABILITY. Towing a trailer is a learned technique. You don't want to be held responsible and lose everything you own because someone didn't know the dynamics. Once you've created a "business" the rules change.

My dad once told me:
Friends are Friends
Family are Family
Business is Business

and you NEVER confuse the three.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: wolfandfinch... Fiberglass trailers are breakable...and so are friendships!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I worked in the rental business for a couple of years before college. We rented moving and utility trailers that were build like tanks. It was amazing how people could still manage to damage them, due more to lack of experience with trailers than malice. A travel trailer opens up lots more opportunities for damage and are much more fragile.

Even with friends, it gets kind of sticky when things get broken and you are stuck with the bill.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Renting to close friends... who may not be close friends very long, once you see what the trailer looks like when it comes back. Renting to strangers might be more gratifying!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
In this area I occasionally see an ad from someone renting a trailer where he will deliver and set-up for you at your choice of area campgrounds. Seems like a way to lessen the chances of anything seriously going wrong, but would probably also cut down on the possible renters.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Many years ago a friend bought a motor home, and according to him it was very affordable because the dealer was going to rent it out for him when he wasn't using it. I just laughed at that idea, and after a few rentals and damages to the motor home the rentals ended. This same friend borrowed my snowmobile trailer to move some stuff, it came back with the tongue bent because he couldn't back up a trailer. A relative wanted to rent our popup once, but his idea of a fair rental price was way lower than ours so that was a one time deal. I won't rent or loan out tools or equipment either, but I will hire out with it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Here's another one:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...egg-21982.html

The consensus seems to be "no."
Old 02-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
In this area I occasionally see an ad from someone renting a trailer where he will deliver and set-up for you at your choice of area campgrounds. Seems like a way to lessen the chances of anything seriously going wrong...
I live in metropolitan San Diego. (If you put a map of San Diego on the wall and threw darts at it, my house would be located within the bulls-eye.) I have my Fiber Stream set up in my back yard with full hook-ups. My partner convinced me to allow friends from Palm Springs free use of it on their trips from the desert to the coast to cool off. Only the water heater is operated on propane; the stove/oven isn't used and all other appliances are operated on electric. They always travel with their dogs.

I always have cleaning and repairs to deal with when they leave. Yes, not serious BUT ALWAYS an expense, and precious time usurped putting the trailer back in condition for MY use. They now call to make reservations, and express disappointment (They whine) when WE plan to use it.

The things I put up with for domestic tranquility.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #14

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
Somethings are just better "not shared".. A good hunting dog, your wife or your camper..
Just my $0.02.
Earl E. November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #15

I knew someone who did this with small stick-builts. He advised that unless you could do your own repairs that it would not be cost effective to rent out. He would deliver to your site and set-up or do longer term. The problem with friends is that sometimes, you don't know them as well as you thought and having them use your kitchen and bathroom......... and everyone has their own idea of "clean" and pets, yet another issue you might be asked to deal with. Also, if the unit is insured, you would want to read the policy and if nothing has changed, the tow vehicle assumes the liability, I think? I know, everything is so complicated these days.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #16

I didn't want to buy a camper, but found I couldn't rent a small fiberglass camper locally and no one allows pets in a rental - a primary reason for me to camp.

I'm sure that they have good reasons.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
- Also, if the unit is insured, you would want to read the policy and if nothing has changed, the tow vehicle assumes the liability, I think? I know, everything is so complicated these days.
That depends on the jurisdiction and the insurer. Around here the tow vehicle does NOT assume the liability - the trailer is a separate vehicle and must have its own insurance. (Also important in cases where the trailer may get damaged while unhitched)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #18

British Columbia
yeah it's covered for rentals up to one month by my insurance. Has comprehensive, loss and damage. If I were to do it I would use a contract for sure, it would make me AND my friends more comfortable to know what was expected of them.

I really appreciate all the input everyone, thanks!