New to Us Cadet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #1

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
The drive to Ohio was a snap, though long. The Cadet is hitched to the Element but nothing goes easily. We have a right brake/turn light problem, nothing as simple as a burned out bulb, and the weather is not nice so we are overnighting in a hotel and will take the Cadet to U-Haul first thing in the morning. No pics yet...the weather is dark and dreary and c-o-l-d. Snow on Sunday. Fortunately, I don't really have to be in the office until Tuesday but I do want to get home Sunday night. We are tired.

Cozy is the word that best describes the Cadet. It has a pop-top which allows me to stand, othewise the interior is probably 5-9 or 5-10.

It needs exterior work, sanding, painting, etc. The interior will probably come out and re-done and moderized. It has but one 110v outlet and that is under the front dinette (Barbie's front dinette) and a single light 12v light. But, with 3 new tires it seems to tow very well. A leak somewhere in the front needs attention.

But, the best thing: It's our's! And the fun and work begins.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Congratulations!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Sounds like you are getting the plans to come together!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You're right, it's yours!! I think those of us that have purchased older trailers have it best. We have every opportunity to make our trailers totally different than everyone elses and it usually doesn't cost an arm and a leg. And because it's not brand new...it doesn't "hurt" quite so much to cut the fiberglass...okay, so maybe it still does...but it only hurts for a little while.

Don, your trailer is 20 years old...it's probably a leak around the front window. It wouldn't be unusual to have to pull the windows and reseal with Butyl.

ANYWAY..
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
But, with 3 new tires it seems to tow very well...
Great! Everything else is second-priority, anyway. Have a safe drive home, Don.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 95 Lite House Trailer for Two
Don, I can hear YOUR wheels turning all the way down here in Hotlanta! Let the projects begin!!

Bill
Bill&Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 Boler 13 ft
You and I will have to swap notes, congratulations!
Dan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs down

Congratulations! Congratulations! Congratulations!
Have fun! Happy travels!

the DesertHawk
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:08 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
I love it when a plan comes together[the "A" team]
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #10

Name:   Cadet.1.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  13.6 KB

Home at last! The photo is Sunday morning in Ohio and does not do justice to the snow.(More photos on Monday) Since Anna was not able to go with me this weekend, my friend Alex acted as flight engineer and navigator. He previously lived in Cincinnati and his knowledge of Ohio was useful. Anyway, we picked up the Cadet from Barbara Saturday afternoon. We were unable to fix the previously mentioned rear light problem in the freezing rain, though the cashier at the Tractor Supply wondered what we were doing in the parking lot with 4 trips into the store to get one more thing that we were certain would fix the problem. In the dark we decided to quit, get into a hotel and find a restaurant serving beef.

Sunday morning at 7:00am the snow is falling. U-Haul opens at 9am and we are the first in the door. The mechanics don't show up until 10am, so we decided to do a hillybill repair with a roll of electrical tape and get on the road. Mr Science would have been proud of us as we mastered an elementary 12v wiring system and got the lights working and we were onto the interstate heading south. Why couldn't we fix it Saturday? All the way to Cincinnati we bucked a snowy headwind which made towing less than pleasant. Temps in the 20sF with mucho wind chill. Once into Kentucky things were somewhat better and we managed 60mph generally. Overall I figure I got 16 miles to the gallon and I know the headwinds messed up the numbers.

Tennessee was clear, windy, and not so cold. It was just a long, cold trip home, but uneventful once on the road. The chili at Wendy's at a Pilot somewhere in Kentucky was very tasty!

Before heading home we went to the car wash to remove the top layer of salt and crud. 7pm we are home. Now the Cadet sits in the driveway awaiting the big plans to refurbish it.

Donna...the leak around the front window presents a different problem, because there aren't windows in the commonly accepted sense of the word. There are openings, front and rear; on the inside mesh is velcro'd in place; on the outside is a clear plexiglas covering, formed into the general shape of window covering like some sort of rock guard, and held shut with toggles. I'll post a pic of this soon. This is clearly designed as a mild weather trailer. Sunday morning there was snow on the front dinette table!

The interior wall fabric is very thin and not attached to the fiberglass interior, but it is more like a slipcover. That will come out.

This trailer needs some sort of attached tent to expand the living space and I'll be on the lookout for this as well. Mods to this will work well and doing them will keep us out of trouble.

In the nasty weather it towed very well; except for the leg to Cincinnati it was effortless.

Thanks for all the interest in our Cadet...which, by the way, on the documents is a "Taurus Cub Cadet", and there is a Taurus decal on the exterior. Nical is mentioned. And, this may be number 55. This has been a fun search, though often frustrating, and the support and encouragement of everyone on this forum has been great. Give yourself a pat on the back.

And now...to bed.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:32 PM   #11

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Congrats, Don. It sounds like a fine trailer, and a trip to remember. You've done well.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:00 AM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
The Element worked like a champ, didn't it?

It's a great rig for these small ones!

Yours is the same color as mine, BTW.. ceptin' mine has those black panels

Glad you made it safely! You are braver than me.. I woulda pulled over at the first sign of snow!

we need a chicken smiley
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:20 AM   #13

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Congrats on the new trailer!
For the light problem, make sure the sockets are screwed in tight. I have seen weird light problems on Toyotas because they are not grounded...I spent $130 on a headlight switch before I realized that the sockets had backed out by 3 turns of a screwdriver.
P
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:33 AM   #14

Trailer:
Quote:
Donna...the leak around the front window presents a different problem, because there aren't windows in the commonly accepted sense of the word.
Those are the outer half of fairly standard Euro trailer windows - the Predom/Cadet doesn't need the fixed half as that is moulded into the fiberglass. You should have a seal attached to the body around the window opening, which it sounds like you're missing. It's just visible in this photo of a modern Predom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	predom_front.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	6242

I'm not sure where you can get a replacement seal but here are:
Freedom importer in England
Predom importer in Holland (being Dutch, they will speak perfect English!)
Predom manufacturer in Poland

Incidentally, those windows are now normally made in Europe with two layers of plastic to give double-glazed windows. I've not seen this on a Predom/Cadet, but they may be made that way by now.

Quote:
This trailer needs some sort of attached tent to expand the living space and I'll be on the lookout for this as well.
Since these trailer sare still being made, the simplest solution might be to buy an awning intended to go on one: English awnings (£425 is about $800), Dutch awnings.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Those are the outer half of fairly standard Euro trailer windows - the Predom/Cadet doesn't need the fixed half as that is moulded into the fiberglass. You should have a seal attached to the body around the window opening, which it sounds like you're missing. It's just visible in this photo of a modern Predom.

Incidentally, those windows are now normally made in Europe with two layers of plastic to give double-glazed windows. I've not seen this on a Predom/Cadet, but they may be made that way by now.

Since these trailer sare still being made, the simplest solution might be to buy an awning intended to go on one: English awnings (£425 is about $800), Dutch awnings.

Andrew
Thanks, Andrew, for the link. I will be in London in May but I don't think either the window or the awning will fit into my suitcase!

There is a lot of old caulking around the left top corner of the front window and it looks like the window corner has been bent and the caulk was the fix. When I strip everything out and off I'll know what's happened. The rear window looks good.

These windows are the emergency exits and the design is very practical and functional.

I scraped a knuckle this afternoon and the Cadet has now been blooded. Also, the "55" number refers to the tire pressure!

Don
Old 01-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Congratulations, Don, on finding your Cadet. Just think of all the fun you will have personalizing it and taking it on the road. Hope our camping paths will cross one day. Take care, L 'n D
Old 01-30-2007, 01:39 AM   #17

Feeling energetic, I have created a blog with photos for our Cadet restoration project...I decided this was going to be more than "fixer-upper".

Our 85 Cadet

Here comes the okra!
Old 01-30-2007, 07:30 AM   #18

Trailer: Lander (401)
Registry
Hi Don,
this is the link of italian Allcar
I do not know if this link can be of aid for you

Ciao Don,
Questo è il link della italiana Allcar
Non so se ti puù essere di aiuto

ciao
Rob
robirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:12 AM   #19

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Don,
I'll add my congratulations to the list! Most of us can empathize with the feeling of satisfaction of getting her home
Usually the first "blood sacrifice" happens a little later, but we have a suspicion that you are anxious to get started with the personalization process.
Enjoy the entire journey
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #20

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
WOW, great blog on the Cadet. I really love the way the roof curve on the Element matches the curve on the Cadet. The interior looks functional and "cozy". Did you remove the cushions or will they all need replacement?
Judy N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cadet