New Volkswagen camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
New Volkswagen camper

maybe coming here soon
$86K
Doubleback
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Interesting and a neat concept. But, for me, and that price... I could have a new Escape 5.0 and a Ford F-150 with ecoboost and about $20,000 left to buy fuel

However, not everyone wants what I want... this might be just the ticket for them Thanks for sharing the link, I'm always interested in seeing what's new-under-the-sun.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thinking inside the box?

I like it.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
maybe coming here soon
$86K
Doubleback
Coming soon but not to US. A small conversion company would not be able to justify the expense of bringing VW Van T5 diesel here and as far as I know VW's only van for any foreseeable future is the one based on Chrysler's minivan – Routan, ouch; read Consumer Reports. I like the concept, but, for that price you can get a gold plated TV and F/Carbon (G) trailer.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
That looks kinda cool, but also a long way out of my price range. I'm gonna expect it to do all the driving and cook all my meals for that much $$.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I didn't see any pictures of what the interior looks like with the slide IN. I wonder what the seating layout looks like, and if the back seat passengers use those little dinette seats. I'd bet this wouldn't pass crash test requirements in the US.

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #7

Trailer:
Looks like there is no rear seating when the box is in - just two swivel-able front seats or one single + one fixed twin
Attached Thumbnails
doubleback.JPG  
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Jim,

Are they really bringing this here? VW has not sold their working van in the US since 2003. We know, because we own one, love it, and have discussed how we replace it when the time comes. Dumb decision on VWs part to quit selling them here, as we gets loads of comments driving ours. Tons of space inside. Yes, a working van without some of the perks that most US van owners get, but we don't miss them. It is our tow vehicle. Of course, this is not the VW company, but still.

The UK does a lot of VW conversions to the Transporter. If this company plans to do conversions here, good luck. It is tough to find Transporters (Eurovans) here.

I wonder if they would do some kind of a slide-out conversion to our fiberglass campers.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
In 1978, the sticker for a Westfalia pop-up was $9350. By 2003, the equivalent van was up around $31k. That's not too far off from inflation. At the original cost, the van was both an excellent drive-around town vehicle and great for vacations. But $86k? Good luck selling those things.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If I remember correctly, they get their van from Chrysler. Check Consumers Reports.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #11

Registry
I don't think that that is this van. That is for the Routan which is sold in this country. The Transporter or Eurovan is not made with Chrysler and no longer sold here. That is what is pictured here.

CindyL
Old 03-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #12

Meager acceleration.

We purchased 1977 Westfalia pop-up for $7K, I remember that the Volvo 240 then was also $7K. Then in 1985 we got the water cooled Westfalia pop-up for 20K and Volvo was also $20K. I wish to still have one of these Westfalias now.

Some time I wander why the folks on the top of company like VW USA are being paid well, discontinuing Transporter vans size for US in lieu of Chrysler Touran minivan is plainly retarded.

But the good news is that the new Touran has decent size engine 3.6l but only 283 HP, I would prefer double turbo aiming toward at least 500HP with hopefully better acceleration than the meager 8.1s to 60. When kids are hungry at home we need to carry these groceries fast, plus, no one would rammed you from the rear as they carry their groceries to their kids.

George.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #13

Thanks Cindy, you are right about the Routan.

$86,000 for the new camper, someone is high on some sort of pharmacological or smoked substance.

If you want a good deal on a used camper, Commonwealth Boat Brokers and King RV handles Reposesed Campers, airplanes, and watercraft. The price you see is what the bank wants so you fill out a form and the bank will either accept or reject the offer. Start low and work up to your final offer.

People fly in from all over the US to purchase their units.

There is a company out west (AZ) and another in California that rehabs VW campers and sells them at a reasonable price. Check EBAY.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #14

Registry
You can look to poptopheaven for Eurovans. I agree it is fairly short-sighted to have stopped selling the van.

CindyL
Old 03-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #15

Somewhat off the subject however; VW Routan that is a Chrysler with a VW badge.

The Chrysler minivan never has had great ratings in Consumer Reports so why on earth would you want to put your VW badge on it.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #16

Registry
We are a 4 VW family: 2007 Salsa Red VW convertible (lots of fun!), 2003 VW Eurovan, 1969 VW Beetle, and 1968 VW single cab. We belong to and attend VW events every year. We have a tall, tacky trophy that we won at a VW event in the mixed category where we displayed our Eurovan hitched to our Burro fiberglass trailer.

I have never been attracted to either the Routan (although it is looking a bit more like our Eurovan in recent years) or the Tourag (or the Passat, the Jetta, the Tigua, or the GTI, etc.). So many of the US VW cars are just cookie-cutter versions of something you could buy that is made here. If I am going to buy something that is not made here, I want it to look and be different. Otherwise, I would buy that Chrysler (and we did but a Chrysler minivan, before I put a huge crease in the side of it).

CindyL
Old 03-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #17

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Cindy, I'm with you on the VWs look sadly like everything else on the road these days. I have a hard time distinguishing a Jetta from a Corolla from a Civic from a Taurus.... I'm thinking hard about maybe next year replacing the olde Subaru with a Jetta wagon, and its kind of disappointing that they have lost their distinctive VW profile.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #18

I have a 1974 Thing. Nothing cookie cutter about that Thing.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #19

We had 7 VWs over the years including 3 diesels.

I recently changed timing belt on my 06 VW Jetta and understand now why dealers are charging over $1k for this maintenance task and also understand that you really, really need to trust a person who does it. For my next car lack of timing belt just surfaced to top decision criteria; Subaru included.

I searched for “timing belt horror” and a lots of VWs and Audis surfaced. I am glad that the trend is reversing back to timing chains.

George.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #20

Registry
No cookie cutter in our Beetles (either the 2007 or 1969) nor our Eurovan nor our pickup either. They all draw lots of eyes and lots of thumbs-up signs, especially from boomers like us, and skate-boarders . Too bad the Eurovan and 2007 Beetle are not as easy to fix as our '69 and '68 (and your Thing, Darwin). You could drive down the highway with a screwdriver and fix them.

Jen, my uncle was a VW mechanic. When he left VW, he went to Subaru, because he said that it was so similar to the VW.

CindyL