Newbie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #1

Name: Corey
Trailer: In the market
Texas

How's it going yall? I'm new to the RV world and I'm having trouble finding what im looking for in an RV. I'm planning on living pretty much full time in an RV when I'm not working. I work on ships so I'm no stranger to living in small spaces for long periods. Due to the way my company is organized I can likely be on a ship for anywhere from 6 to 8 months out of the year so it doesn't make financial sense for me to buy or rent a home anyways when I would just be wanting to travel in what little time I have off.
Anyway I really like the old 4x4 18ft toyota sunraders and they check all the boxes for what id want but given that they're few and far between im open to other suggestions of similar rigs. Ideally I want something under 20ft but the main things is I want to be able to stand upright and have a kitchen with fridge given that ill be living in it essentially full time. I really don't like the idea of having pull outs as I don't want to have to do extra setup when I get somewhere.
I know there's newer stuff out there that would check the boxes of what I want but I also don't really want to be spending $150k on some of the newer rigs like this. Preferably something under $70k
So I'd really love to hear yall suggestions on models to look into. Thanks in advance!
CoastalAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:04 AM   #2

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Noob?

Looking for a class B or C? Have a tow vehicle or not? many choices.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:25 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I'd look for a 2000+/- Chinook Class B. They were bought out in late 2005, and IMHO, quality dropped significantly.

Of course, with ANY RV that old (and relatively expensive and has a drivetrain), a thorough inspection is mandatory.

Chinooks back then were the top of the Class B market, very expensive for that time. Fiberglass body.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
Looking for a class B or C? Have a tow vehicle or not? many choices.
I think I'd prefer a class C. A trailer isn't completely out of the question but I would need a bigger truck that what I've got now. Ideally I'd like to stick with an RV though because I do have a small boat id want to take with me sometimes.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:14 PM   #5

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I'd look for a 2000+/- Chinook Class B. They were bought out in late 2005, and IMHO, quality dropped significantly.

Of course, with ANY RV that old (and relatively expensive and has a drivetrain), a thorough inspection is mandatory.

Chinooks back then were the top of the Class B market, very expensive for that time. Fiberglass body.
The chinooks don't look too bad i would prefer a proper bed though. Maybe if I replace the couch/bed cushions with an actual mattress and make it basically a permanent twin sized bed. Would you happen to know if there's 4x4 conversions of it?