Newbie needs help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 19 ft Bigfoot
Unhappy

Hi,

Newbie here.

Just got our first camping trailer, 1987 17ft Bigfoot. We need some help at selecting a small portable electric heater. The gas heater is working but we would rather use an electric one while electricity is available at the site.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Frederic
FredericL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's probably a gazillion brands all about the same. Just make sure it has a tip-over protection switch.. that shuts it off if the heater falls over. Mine also has a thermostat and multiple fan speeds.

I bought the one I use at Wal-Mart for about 20 bucks, works fine. But as a hint, you better hurry if you wish to purchase one, these fall into the "seasonal merchandise" category and will be replaced with "summer fans" on the shelves... real soon.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #3

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
The ceramic ones are nice in that they tend to be smaller, which is a plus, and they stay cool to the touch. You can pretty much pick one out based on the features that appeal to you. I have one from Lakewood that I really like. It is very quiet, virtually untippable, and it has the digital controls. That allows me to set a specific temperature, and it also allows me to set a specific power level, instead of just Low and High. However, they don't seem to make that model any more.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We use a small electric cube heater in our 13' Scamp. It has a safety feature that shuts it off if you tip it over. It takes up almost no room, stores easily under the seat & we keep it set pretty low because it takes so little to heat the space. I think it would work well in a 17' too. I don't remember how much it cost but I'm sure it was $20 or less.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
We use a small table top heater with a fan/theromostat and a remote control. It cooked us out the 2 times we used it before putting the trailer into storage, but it was nice to not have to get up and turn it off in the middle of the night since I sleep on the window side of the bed - 'click' with the remote and back to sleep we went.

I believe it's a Honeywell. It was 50% around this time last year and ended up paying $22 for it.
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 1986 19 ft Bigfoot
Thank you all.

Frederic
FredericL is offline   Reply With Quote