Newbie pet question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
My husband has a little yellow parrot called a cockatiel. Unfortunately, it seems to have irrevocably bonded with me (the parrot, not the husband). Apparently the bird stops eating and "pines" when I leave him for very long. Now that I have an egg, my husband wants ME to take the parrot when I go camping.

Truth be told, I've never really liked birds. I grew up on a chicken farm and to me, pet birds are just brightly colored chickens. Though, I have to admit that the little booger (err cockatiel) is personable. There are even some moments when I think he's pretty charming just as he is, without any cranberry sauce or gravy. (kidding)

Anyone ever try taking a bird with them camping? Any tips or advice to make sure they don't get loose, or lost, or eaten (with or without condiments)? Any advice on how to rig an exercise perch in an egg?
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Yes, the ex and I had an African Gray that went with us for about three years on our camping expeditions. Can't say there are any precautions to take other than what you take at home. Poppy enjoyed her excursions very much and talked about them for months afterwards. She was fun to have along. We also had a starling that went camping with us and LOVED l'il crawfish that we'd bring him from the little creek we camped next to. The humming birds annoyed him, but, as a guest, he tried not to be rude. He, too, had a good vocabulary, topped by "Worm!" when he was hungry— knowing full well that the wife had a stash of meal worms for him and was a pushover for a poor, hungry bird..
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Anyone ever try taking a bird with them camping?
Take a look at this old Home Page photo.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a picture of Dooley going for a ride!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dooley.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	10001

And I think Patrick M. said he's got a parrot that goes camping with he and his wife. You could contact him directly for tips! Patrick M. Profile
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
I have friends, who are currently RVing in their 5th wheel in Georgia, who travel with two birds, ... a parrot and a cockatiel.

Each bird has their own traveling cage and spend most their time in those. They let them out into the trailer for a while in mornings and evenings.

They've done this for years and it seems to work OK for them.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Take a look at this old Home Page photo.
That's just too funny.

BigBird would never hold still for a picture. He has clipped wings, but he would fly off so fast, he would be blur. I would never be able to let him outside without a locked cage. He's an 80 oz monster.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #7

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
Laura K-
I too have a wonderful cockatiel named Poppy. My husband and I have debated back and forth on taking her with us when we camp. I have a couple of concerns about taking Poppy with us. First off she is never locked in her cage at home but would almost have to be in a locked cage while camping. At home she is free to fly about in 2 rooms on the 2nd floor of our house. I worry that she would be unhappy locked in her cage in a small trailer all the time. My other concern is heat/cold weather. Last year we camped at a place that was 112 outside and 117 in our traielr. I would be afriad that is too hot for a bird. This year we camped in a place that was beautiful one day and the next morning we woke up to snow all around us. Again I think that would be too cold for the bird. Also birds should never be placed where it is drafty as they catch cold too easy. The only other thing I have wondered about if we took Poppy with us is, where is she going to travel. Our little 13 ft Burro sometimes gets bounced around a lot while travel. Sometime we find things have shifted or fell off the bed or couch while traveling. So I think it could be a roller coaster ride for the bird in the trailer. On the other hand placing the bird in a locked cage in the back seat might drive us crazy. The few times I have had to lock our little bird in her cage, she is not happy but seems to settle down as long as she can not see me. The minute she gets a glace of me she starts making all kinds of noise and flopping around her cage as if to say "Hey, let me out mom".

I would think as long as you are careful to not let the bird get too hot in the trailer or in the direct sun or too cold things should be fine. What you might want to do is taking your little cockatiel camping in your trailer in your backyard or driveway for the weekend and see how it likes it. That could tell you a lot. We are talking about doing that next year as a trail run. Leaving our bird at home for long periods of time does not seem to bother her as much as it does me. My bestfriend comes to our home everyday for about an hour to feed, water and pay attention to our bird. About 3 or 4 days out is when I really start to miss Poppy and we have been known to come home a few days early just because I miss the little stinker so much.

If you do take your bird out with you please let us know how it went. Pro's & Con's and all that.
Good luck.

Ellen B.
BuzzardsBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #8

Ellen -

You hit the nail on the head. These are exactly my concerns.

BigBird is not used to being shut up in cage except for sleeping. We do shut him up for his own safety when we go in and out the door a lot, have guests or are all out of the house. Otherwise, he's allowed pretty much free run of the family room. I think he would be very unhappy shut up in a small travel cage for long periods of time.

More serious, little birds like this are not well equiped to handle big temperature swings. Cockatiels are tropical, so he can take some hot weather, but not the 100+ temperatures of the inside of a closed trailer. He'd also get sick pretty fast at any temp less than about 60. It's not like I could sleep with him, and I'd be afraid to leave a propane heater on all night. I think I'd have a hard time keeping him warm at night, even in mild weather.

My husband says he's grouchy when I leave, hard to handle and eats poorly. (BigBird, not Al. Al eats just fine when I'm away.) I know a lot of people say they travel with tiels safely. But wouldn't it be heartbreaking if you thought you'd killed your tiny buddy, either by leaving him or taking him? I joke about him being a chicken, but I'm actually fond of the little thing.

If I try this, I would have to have another family member with me to help, and it'd have to be a short trip so we could go home, if needed.

I just wish Al loved a goldfish.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I have not traveled with a bird (yet), but we did have a cockatiel once which came to us from people who were living full-time in a 5th wheel trailer. It lived in a cage (which I believe is necessary, and I realize is an issue in this case), and the only difficulty which they mentioned was dust (remember, they were not moving the trailer). Not dust causing problems for the bird, but the dust from the bird's feathers being an annoyance to the people. Any cockatiel (or cockatoo) owner should be familiar with this dust-generation phenomenon... but it gets worse in the small space of an RV.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #10

Quote:
....the only difficulty which they mentioned was dust (remember, they were not moving the trailer). Not dust causing problems for the bird, but the dust from the bird's feathers being an annoyance to the people...
Whoa. These people are serious bird nuts. You gotta love birds to notice bird dust more than bird poop.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
You gotta love birds to notice bird dust more than bird poop.
I think the poop is a given... but the dust issue might be unexpected. While it's amazing how far a bird can get the poop out of the cage (try to imagine the process...), the dust goes everywhere.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
But wouldn't it be heartbreaking if you thought you'd killed your tiny buddy, either by leaving him or taking him?
[/quote]

That is for sure. We had a cat who hated being left alone, and would knock over lamps or otherwise let us know he was very upset if we left him overnight, even with visits from a friendly cat-sitter.

We had another cat who seemed completely content then took off one day when we were all at home.

We had a cat who loved camping with us and, like her mother, disappeared one day.

We have a cat now who is content to be left alone, as long as she can come and go as she pleases, and like a teenager will turn up at 3 am only cuz she's bored or hungry.

Other than getting a young parrot when you yourself are an old bird, you will lose them one way or another. The question is, what do they (seem to) enjoy?
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote