Newbie questions - where to find water, how to dispose of waste - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2017, 04:50 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: in the process of buying a Casita 17 Liberty Delux
Ohio
Newbie questions - where to find water, how to dispose of waste

Hi everyone. My wife and I have been camping for years. Now we are in the process of buying a Casita Liberty 17. This will be our first camper with a shower and toilet (and gray water ad black water tanks.) And we have a couple of questions. When traveling about, staying at Walmarts and Crackerbarrels, where do you get water and how do you dispose of wastes?

Thanks in advance everyone.
Dave8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Go in the trailer and then go here:

https://www.sanidumps.com/

and go there.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It depends on how many days you will be traveling without hook-ups. If you stay at a developed campground with a dump station or full hookups every 3rd or 4th night, you should be able to keep up with water replenishment and waste disposal.

The longer you go between developed stops, the more water you'll need to carry and the more waste you'll accumulate. That can end up becoming a problem in terms of the excess weight. Water is heavy.

There are apps to locate dump stations. Most charge a fee if you are not a paid overnight guest.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #4

Name: Linda
Trailer: Escape
Colorado
Glenn, you're too funny!!!
“Casa Swany”
ljswanson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljswanson53 View Post
Glenn, you're too funny!!!
So if I understood him correctly, you take a dump, then find a dump.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
We try to limit toilet to #1 only. Don't take showers either. The challenge is to see how many days you can go before black and gray tanks fill. Fresh water I carry a refillable jug that you can fill at most Walmarts cheap. Look at everything that generates gray and black water and start conserving. Washing dishes? Think disposable stuff.

The more you conserve the longer you will last, then seek a dump station and repeat the process. Ourselves we make sure our last night on the trip we always pick a place with a dump station so we park the trailer at home with clean tanks.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #7

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
RVParky is a great app also. Quite a few rest areas have dump stations and water. I second the recommendation for Sanidumps also. Make sure you use a water filter (Camco has inline hose water filters) when filling your fresh tank from a hose. And it is a good idea to use a pressure regulator whenever attached to city water.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:21 AM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Just ran a check for my area code using Sani Dumps, it is missing roughly half of what is available.

What I've used, some of the big megga trucker gas stations have water and dump stations, some rest areas, municipal waste treatment plants, although I've never taken on water there. Almost all campgrounds have them but only a few will let the non staying public use them, and those will charge a fee. I've gotten water from visitor centers too.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
All the campgrounds I have worked at would let transients come in off the road to dump for a fee and I am sure that they would let you fill up with potable water also. But never refill you tanks with the hose at the dump station and there should be signage saying this is not potable water.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote