Newbie thoughts of used Scamp ownership - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Newbie thoughts of used Scamp ownership

I’m coming up on my 3 month anniversary of owning my 1992 13’ Scamp.

Some thoughts from this newbie:

1) I’m glad I jumped in with both feet because I had absolutely no idea about towing/owning a trailer. I paid $4,000 and although I thought it was a fixer-upper, it really wasn't in too bad of condition. Buying used allowed me to start this adventure and not be too financially invested if I decided it's not for me.

2) I’m glad I bought a fiberglass trailer, I do believe in their structural integrity.

3) Adding a city water inlet is the bees knees!

4) Attending a fiberglass rally gave me upgrade fever, so I’m nursing that now and hopefully I can keep my checkbook in check.

5) I love jalousie windows and didn’t even know what they were when I bought mine, and am now glad it has them.

6) I am surprised at how much dirt I track in, it’s easier to see on the vinyl flooring I installed, I’ll need to get a throw rug.

7) Wires shorting out can make a person tear things apart. I’m glad my wiring issues are behind me.

8) I’m SO glad that my tow vehicle can handle the Scamp. I have to be careful when turning right because I got close to clipping a curb due to forgetting the Scamp was attached.

9) I want a front dinette that can easily turn back into a sofa/bed when needed.

10) If this had a corner toilet/shower enclosure (this would take away from the dinette idea above), I doubt I’d ever long for another trailer.

Come say hi if you ever see this rig on your travels:
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Lisa, definitely get a throw rug and get one of those entry rugs that scrape and hold dirt to put right at the door. Even with all that I was sweeping my Boler's floor every day with a dustpan brush. Don't forget to beat the rugs periodically as well.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:03 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
my reason

well i saw lisa s floor loved it but then dirt and cold feet. back to carpet scatter rugs i hate those

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:10 AM   #4
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Lisa, definitely get a throw rug and get one of those entry rugs that scrape and hold dirt to put right at the door. Even with all that I was sweeping my Boler's floor every day with a dustpan brush. Don't forget to beat the rugs periodically as well.
We use a "welcome mat" on the ground outside the door. It travels on the floor, just inside the door, and is the first thing out and the last thing in. It will stay put better on the ground than any scatter rug on your vinyl flooring. Of course, you'll still want to sweep your flooring, but an outside mat will make the need less frequent. (YMMV)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
BTW, Lisa, GOOD LOOKING RIG!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:10 AM   #6

California
Registry
Quote:

Entry rug purchased already, you're right it does help. Throw rug is going to be ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
well i saw lisa s floor loved it but then dirt and cold feet. back to carpet scatter rugs i hate those

bob
I am sleeping with socks on so that I don't walk on the cold vinyl flooring.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:11 AM   #7

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
BTW, Lisa, GOOD LOOKING RIG!
Thank you, I love it, but then I'm still in the honeymoon stage with it.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #8

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
We use a "welcome mat" on the ground outside the door.
Here's the one I bought. Is it this type you and Axel Adams are talking about?
Old 11-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When you get to Quartzsite, go to the shops around the big tent and get an RV ground mat. Their pretty cheap there and you can get all sizes. It folds up and you can broom it. The one I use is about 9 X 12 feet. It fits under the awing area and is easy to pick up and put down. That fends off most of the dirt before you get to your throw rug. It works well in the dusty or beach sand campgrounds California has.

For the winter go to Harbor freight and get their floor mat pack of foam puzzle pieces. Assemble the puzzle and trim the mat to fit tightly on the floor space to cover your vinyl floor. In the winter to fend off the cold floor or in harsh boon docking like Quartzsite where you will be tracking in gravel. Especially without a ground cover before entering your trailer.

Of course the first line of defense is the soles of your shoes. The smoother the soles the better. If you wear hiking shoes allot you will be sweeping allot.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-94635.html
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #10

Missouri
lisa

congratulations on your project I too bought used but I am cheap and happy no payments you know. we paid 5k for our 95 13f scamper very few add ons just normal stuff some you have done but I didn't go as far as you did!

life is good but my 13f scamper looks ridiculous!! you are happy I am happy!!!!

bob
Old 11-30-2017, 01:57 PM   #11

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Here is a picture of my rig(1979 Boler B1300):
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170916_150434_resized_2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	114227
I have an RV ground mat like Steve mentioned. I actually buy a thin plastic drop cloth that I don't mind throwing out and put it under the mat. I do that because when I put it down on Grass in a lot of places, mud works its way in when it rains. This way the mat is fairly clean when I pull it up. I then have the option to clean the drop cloth or throw it out. Just FYI, the landscaping staples sold at Lowe's or Home Depot work great to hold the mat down.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #12

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
When you get to Quartzsite, go to the shops around the big tent and get an RV ground mat.
Yes, one of those is definitely on my want to buy list!
Not sure if I ever told you, but I did buy that grey water tank you linked me to one day, I love that tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
congratulations on your project
Thank you Bob! I think you and I bought ours around the same time.

Quote:
Here is a picture of my rig(1979 Boler B1300):
Attachment 114227
I have an RV ground mat like Steve mentioned. I actually buy a thin plastic drop cloth that I don't mind throwing out and put it under the mat.
Nice setup! Drop cloth underneath is a good idea!
Old 11-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #13

Missouri
i hear

I have read and heard so many horror stories of used campers I guess I lucked out the last 2 while they have wear and tear are perfect in most regards. so far I haven't dinged it or put any scratches on it if I do no big deal to whine over! I think those huge mats are nice and the suggestion of the underliner is perfect as those things draw moisture like crazy.

I guess we just like roughing it no mats no canapy nothing to blow away or create more mess for us. this is just us we like simple!

since if we do campout at a campground most have tables and that is where we spend our time.

bob
Old 11-30-2017, 07:15 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Lisa, Steve's correct, I picked up a 9x12 at the Q last year, seem to remember it was around $38.00. Prices varied at different vendors for the same size & label.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:30 PM   #15

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Lisa, Steve's correct, I picked up a 9x12 at the Q last year, seem to remember it was around $38.00. Prices varied at different vendors for the same size & label.
Good to know! I'll be there this year shopping for one.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #16

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp
New Mexico
The foam puzzle piece mats really do help with the cold floor. Camped without-
feet froze, with, feet were nice & comfy. Plus, the dog liked sleeping on them. I'm planning to remove them come spring & replace the original carpet with the Allure vinyl flooring, for ease of cleaning.
Poodlesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #17

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Lovely camper! Our little 1982 Scamp that we sold this fall, had those jalousie windows and we LOVED them so much. Those were at the top of our must have list for a new 16 foot camper. Our new to us 16 foot Scamp doesn't have them, but I think our plan is to switch out the sliders for jalousies in the next couple of years. I loved being able to have them open in a rainstorm.

Happy camping!!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I know what you mean. When we ordered our Lil Snoozy we had HEHR build jalousie windows and ship them to the LS factory to be used in place of the Kinro slider/escape windows.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #19

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlesrule View Post
The foam puzzle piece mats really do help with the cold floor.
I bet my dogs would appreciate the softness of them too, not that they stay on the floor very long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
Lovely camper! Our little 1982 Scamp that we sold this fall, had those jalousie windows and we LOVED them so much.
I actually didn't notice all the window variations at first until I started reading up on them. I think Scamp makes a jalousie-type now, the length just happens to be shorter, but still has the tip up effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I know what you mean. When we ordered our Lil Snoozy we had HEHR build jalousie windows and ship them to the LS factory to be used in place of the Kinro slider/escape windows.
Dave & Paula
Good idea! I didn't know they could be custom ordered.

Tags
scamp