Newbie's first experience - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #21

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Great write up thanks for taking the time to share

You know how a window ac draws fresh air from the side, then hot air exhausted out back through the radiator. I wonder if the Parkliner ac is the same? Being mounted in a cubby I wonder how it gets fresh air or if the hot exhaust is just getting sucked back into the fresh intake? That might be one way it wont get colder. Is there a fresh air intake? I have never seen a Parkliner in person.
Ken, I'm not an A/C techy or anything but I think the ac's are built backwards and the exhaust is actually on the inside in the form of cold air, the intake is supplied from the outside.
On another note, I beleive that after seeing a couple of them, the Parkliner is going to be the most sought after eggs out there. The layout is 2nd to none and the craftsmanship is the same. Its a great size between the 13's and 17's for pulling and the inside is very roomy, I know it at this point it would be my first choice for replacing mine if I should need it. I've had mine right near 10 years and the darn thing just keeps going. we hit 100,000 miles with it in Aug of this year. Enjoy the journey, Bill
Old 10-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #22

Name: M
Trailer: Influx
Usa
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscottyg View Post
The Air Conditioner in the Parkliner is mounted beneath the fore dinette bench as Mimi Lee pointed out (and as can be seen in the various interior photos). It has also been noted that the AC is installed at an angle, which one might assume was done to improve the cold air delivery to the rear of the trailer. While the occupants do benefit somewhat from this angled discharge, more importantly, it creates a small pocket between the left hand side of the AC cabinet and the LH panel that makes up its enclosure (the LH side of the dinette seat base). This pocket, along with the much larger void to the RH side of the AC unit, provide a path for ambient air to be drawn into the condenser section of the AC unit. The source of this air is hidden below this compartment in the vertical sidewall that sits in front of the wheel well at the bottom of the fiberglass shell. There are four or five (I have forgotten exactly how many) round holes, maybe 4" dia each, cut into this vertical surface. If you climb underneath the trailer, these holes face the centerline of the trailer and are protected with an insect screen. Withouth attempting calculations, I would say these openings look like they provide plenty of free area for adequate airflow to the condenser on this little 5000 btu AC unit. There is also a small hole drilled at the low point on the fiberglass shell, I believe to serve as a condensate drain hole. At the rear of the AC unit, there is a 2" to 3" thick high density foam rectangle (a rectangular "ring" with an open center) that serves as a gasket between the rear of the AC unit and the back panel of its compartment. Beyond this panel is an open space that terminates with a stamped grille that is installed on the outside of the trailer.

Not exactly a short answer, but it's the best I can do to explain it. If I get a chance to take some photos, I will try to add them so you can see some of these odd things I am attempting to describe.

As far as I can tell, the little AC unit appears to be set up properly; the condenser does have to pull and push its air through a bit of a maze, so I would not be surprised to see a small reduction in capacity as a result of the installation.

-Stay Cool

Scott, Thanks for adding the nicely detailed description of the installation. I did attempt to take pictures when we started the thread but in the tight space I couldn't really capture the holes in the vertical wall, etc.) You explain it much better than I could in words or photos alone!

And FWIW, Patricia, on that day in particular, I think we were trying to cool down a trailer in the highest heat of the day, with no shade, and we were running amuck to setup camp, while keeping the kids and pup safe, it could have been stress heat vs ambiance temperature . I say that because since then, we have found it plenty (= too) cold when turned up to max and adjusted the settings accordingly, and the temperatures around here are not yet that much cooler. We've gone out a few more times, and love it more and more!
Attached Thumbnails
1815.jpg   1816.jpg  

1817.jpg  
Mimi Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #23

Usa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne H View Post
If your smoke alarm is like mine, it's a regular house sized alarm - which makes it extremely sensitive (since it's in such a tiny area). For cooking or even putting on the teapot, I often take it down and remove the battery. You just have to remember to put back together afterwards, but it saves a lot of annoying alarms!
Anne, that's a suggestion. Now if only I can trust myself to remember where I put the batteries
Old 10-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #24

Name: Mireille
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Quebec
AH...you are so lucky...we are still searching for our egg...
Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #25

Usa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Welcome Patricia & Mimi. Nice to see more gals getting into posting their experiences. Have never seen a Parkliner so will keep my eyes open when we are on the road. Iam the primary driver and wave to all Rv's, fire and law enforcement units. Fire guys always wave back.
Thanks!! Hope to see you on the road Rosemary! We got our first wave back from a BigFoot we passed this weekend. Small joys!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #26

Usa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mireille L View Post
AH...you are so lucky...we are still searching for our egg...
Good things are worth waiting for! I've wanted a trailer for years, even had an account nicknamed "wildest dream fund" with it in mind. It is truely a wild dream come true and yes, I consider myself a very lucky person.

Best of luck on your search Mireille. Looking forward to hearing all about it when you find your egg.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Chandler mentioned the little sink will bump out just a little bit in the storage. Would you happen to have a pic of that? It's not important, just thought I would ask if a pic was already handy. Was just curious, that's all. Thanks.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #28

Usa
Quote:
Chandler mentioned the little sink will bump out just a little bit in the storage. Would you happen to have a pic of that? It's not important, just thought I would ask if a pic was already handy. Was just curious, that's all. Thanks.
Hi Ken, These are the pics I have on hand. In the first, I was taking note of the water lines, but you can see at the bottom, that is the top of the sink bump out. In the second, if you zoom in you can kinda see the bump out in full as it hangs in the closet. The screen in front doesn't give a clear view though, we take it back out this weekend, so can get a better pic in a day or two. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
1800.jpg   1731.jpg  

Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #29

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Hey Mimi!
I really like the looks of your fabric that you picked out for your seating!
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #30

Usa
Thanks BigLew. I am happy with how it came out too! I was waffling between the "calm" blue vs the "fun" Mango Dulce. Then I realized seeking calmness within a 6x12 space with 4ppl + dog was going to be futile and went all out for sunny fun!
Old 10-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #31

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi Lee View Post
Thanks BigLew. I am happy with how it came out too! I was waffling between the "calm" blue vs the "fun" Mango Dulce. Then I realized seeking calmness within a 6x12 space with 4ppl + dog was going to be futile and went all out for sunny fun!
Well you certainly did good on your pick. I love those quick wake me ups in the morning!
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #32

Name: Gretchen
Trailer: Coachman Freedom Express
Tennessee
Quote:
Here is pic for you of one we saw there. Sink does take some closet room. I kinda wish it was on the other side - if you don't want to use that space for the bunk cushions, which we are not getting. We may not get a sink at all if we can just get the shower hose only, the kitchen sink sure is close enough!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #33

Name: Gretchen
Trailer: Coachman Freedom Express
Tennessee
I hope the picture came thru, I am not seeing it.