Newbies l,looking for advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: In the market
Wisconsin
Newbies l,looking for advice

Sally and I are in our first glimmers of retirement and looking into purchasing a camping trailer. We like the Scamp 16' vs a Tab teardrop. Any comparisons you veterans out there?
Dan
Dan Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Scamp or Casita would be my choice because they are molded fiberglass.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dan and Sally,

We have had a Scamp and a Casita 16 and have been in a TAB. Ginny and I love our Scamp 16 and have been all over North America. Our's is no 22 years old and most people think it's much younger. The molded fiberglass trailers can last forever with just a little care. To me that's the biggest difference between these similarly sized trailers is long term trailer integrity.

As well I believe the Scamp provides more usable space due to it's lack of a tear drop. We average over 200 days a year in our Scamp.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #4

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Since you're still glimmering, it sounds like time is on your side.

I would highly recommend that you see all your prospects in person before making a decision. We walked through Tabs, Scamps and Casitas before ordering and I'm glad we did so. For me, molded fiberglass was clearly superior to stick built construction so that ruled Tabs out. After seeing a Scamp and Casita we decided the Casita was the better option for us even though Scamp is in our back yard (MN).

Scamp, Casita and Escape all make a good product and it's more a matter of personal preference, budget and availability on which is best for you.

Search the forums and do your research. It's time well spent.

Randy
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My father in law had a TaB. The perfect trailer for a single person who wants to go out for a few days. Easy to tow, light, well thought out. It's an oversized teardrop. A 13 ft or 16 ft egg will have room to stand up. With a 16ft you can have a permanent bed, table, and bathroom. A 13 ft with bath means the bed must be taken down to have a table. We have a 13 ft with permanent bed, front dinette. We use the showers at the campground. Works for us. Choices, choices. Have fun shopping and let us know what you get. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You might check out the rally map http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f57/2014-rally-map-on-google-maps-61844.html

There are three rallies in the Wis. area coming up in the spring. A rally is a great chance to check out the different brands and models of molded FG campers. Ranging from the latest models to campers that have been in use for decades. Provides good perspective on what purchasing newer model vs. used will get you for your money.

Seeing them in real world use gives a much better perspective on how much space there really is and how the floor plan is really used. Camper at sales lot looks bigger inside because it's empty, same as the bedrooms or closets in an apartment or a house look bigger until you put furniture in the room and clothes in the closet.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Sally View Post
Sally and I are in our first glimmers of retirement and looking into purchasing a camping trailer. We like the Scamp 16' vs a Tab teardrop. Any comparisons you veterans out there?
Dan
You guys sound like you're in the same boat as us, except we have been blessed with owning a couple of 13' Scamps over the last 25 years (a standard and now a deluxe). We have taken the last two summers off and spent 60 days & nights at a time in our travels. We are looking to purchase a Lil Snoozy for the permanent queen bed, comfortable couch, shower & bath. We will order it propane ready to better match our "off grid camping" life style.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote