Newfoundland Caravan Guide. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Send your email address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyron View Post
Thanks for your NFLD. postings.
My wife hails from NFLD. A 2 month island camping trip for next year is on the to do list. We too could make good use your Newfoundland travel and camping guide.
Send me a PM with your email address. The file is big.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:52 AM   #42

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yet Another Thank You to Norm

Thanks for the Port Orford email Norm!

We enjoyed the heck out of reading about another place we plan to go based on your enthusiasm for your favorite places.

Dan
Old 09-02-2020, 05:42 AM   #43

Florida
Thank You.

Like most people on this site, I am happy to share our experiences as RVers. The last 20 years of travel have been full of wonder. Thank you all for your kind words.

Those that have spent time with us know I can talk about Newfoundland continuously. The reality is that in 20 years we have been a lot of places. Unfortunately as one ages memories slip away without use. Fortunately Ginny kept logs of everyplace we've camped and I can use it to trigger my memory.

For the 50+ people who asked for information, thank you. Though fixed in Florida this summer I did get to travel through my memories stimulated by writing and editing those 3 guides.

Recently a great niece moved to Vermillion, South Dakota to attend the University of South Dakota quickly triggering memories of our Dakota travels.

When we began our travels we figured we do it for 3 years and see all of North America. (We had never RVed before.) How foolish we were. Ginny said we can skip the Dakotas, there's nothing there. Oops, mistake. We both loved it there and have been back many times.

Here we are 20 years later knowing there is too much left to see.

Bless you all and thank you. Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-02-2020, 07:26 AM   #44

Thanks Ginny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
... Fortunately Ginny kept logs of everyplace we've camped and I can use it to trigger my memory.
A big THANKS to Ginny for logging the travels!

You two are also responsible for us beginning to investigate pickle ball.

You're a bad influence

Dan
Old 09-02-2020, 03:45 PM   #45

Florida
Pickleball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel W View Post
A big THANKS to Ginny for logging the travels!
You two are also responsible for us beginning to investigate pickle ball.
You're a bad influence
Dan
Pickleball is another game that you can play as you age. Go to Pickleball com/locator and they will tell you everywhere you can play near where you live. Generally it's a social game. We have found people wanting to introduce you to the game.

Most people play doubles, reducing the requirement for motion. The first time I played I dove to hit a ball and someone came up to me and said no diving. It's a coed game. They have rules that slows down the game.

Try it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-04-2020, 05:33 AM   #46

Florida
Google Spies

I find it interesting how Google spies on your every search. Yesterday I was looking at Chesapeake Light Craft, they produce a lightweight camper kit that is very interesting. Their ads appeared on my screen on other pages that same day.

Today I opened my Google morning news to find an article on Port Orford, a place I had been searching for my Port Orford Guide. This is no coincidence. It's the reality that we are watched. Here's the article's link. It defies a number of places I mentioned plus it has great pictures.

https://traveloregon.com/things-to-d...e-port-orford/

If you are interested in coastal Oregon, you'll enjoy this article. I should also mention there is a great fiberglass rally at Bullards Beach State Park. It's a very well attended rally in a great state park. Fossils are visible on their beach.

Now I love the link because it's a favorite place but also it bothers me that I m watched probably also by Alexa.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-05-2020, 05:07 AM   #47

Thanks

Thanks for posting the travel Oregon link Norm!

Dan
Old 09-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #48

Florida
Seasickness

I had a PM today about seasickness on the 6 hour ferry to Newfoundland from Nova Scotia.

We've made this ferry trip about 20 times. Ginny is particularly susceptible to seasickness and has never been sick during a crossing nor have I ever seen anyone else get sick. The trip has been smooth. We haven't ever gotten a cabin on the ship. Whether on the night cruise or the noon cruise we just sit in their better than an airline reclining seats, initially watching one of the many TVs or reading a book. If on a night cruise we're shortly asleep generally waking before landing. Then we get up to have breakfast before landing.

If it's a noon cruise we sit and watch the exit from the harbor than once to sea we walk the deck a little to see if we can catch a view of a whale.

Of course the ocean can become wild but in 20 tries we have not seen it on our 6 hour cruise.

We have never taken the 14 hour cruise from Argentia (near St Johns) to Nova Scotia. This cruise does go out into the bigger ocean and has been known to occasionally take longer than 14 hours.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-05-2020, 12:39 PM   #49

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
NFLD or bust!!!

Hi: honda03842... Here's a pic of our welcome to Newfoundland. My fault for not pulling the tug plug!!! Had to wait till everyone got past us and the flatbed jumper came aboard from CAA. The crew tried a battery pack and their fork lift but to no avail. The EcoDiesel Ram with its huge battery is tough to start.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040993.jpg   P1050008.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #50

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I am very prone to seasickness (also can't use a swing) Since ginger helps nausea, I just made sure to carry ginger snaps in my bag when ferrying. Also since we had lost about 11 days from our planned trip when husband's passport came up missing and had to be replaced -we did the Nova Scotia/Newfoundland ferry overnight and rented a stateroom, that way we got a day back for sightseeing.

As an American girl who was crazy over horses in the 1950s, I wonder if there is any way to see the Newfoundland ponies? My understanding is that there isn't but hope springs eternal. I know they're mainly found on Fogo now...
Old 09-06-2020, 01:51 PM   #51

Florida
Newfoundland ponies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
I am very prone to seasickness (also can't use a swing) Since ginger helps nausea, I just made sure to carry ginger snaps in my bag when ferrying. Also since we had lost about 11 days from our planned trip when husband's passport came up missing and had to be replaced -we did the Nova Scotia/Newfoundland ferry overnight and rented a stateroom, that way we got a day back for sightseeing.

As an American girl who was crazy over horses in the 1950s, I wonder if there is any way to see the Newfoundland ponies? My understanding is that there isn't but hope springs eternal. I know they're mainly found on Fogo now...
You are referring to the little ponies bred for working in the mines. My recollection is there is a conservatory for them on the Change Islands.

The Newfoundland Pony Santuary, Change Islands, NL

I do mention the Change Islands but not the ponies. If you go out to Fogo Island you can get off at the Change Islands for a couple of days and then continue onto Fogo, no charge. Actually the single fee at the Ferry Terminal in Farewell is a round trip charge and includes Change Island.

We have gone to Change for a few days and stayed at Peter Porterfield's 5 site campground for a nominal fee. No water or sewer there but he has water at his house and I bet there is a dump station somewhere on the island (but we didn't need it). The water is like the water on FOgo and tends toward the light yellow.

We did not Boondock but I'm sure you could if you choose. Peter was worth the price of admission. He has a small museum in front of the campground and he was building a Boat in the barn next to his campground, a Bully boat I recall from lumber he collected.

There are plenty of places to hike. We went to dinner at the 7 Oaks BB, make a reservation and met a number of interesting people and had an excellent meal.

WiFi was available outside of the islands school, just park near the building.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #52

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: honda03842... Here's a pic of our welcome to Newfoundland. My fault for not pulling the tug plug!!! Had to wait till everyone got past us and the flatbed jumper came aboard from CAA. The crew tried a battery pack and their fork lift but to no avail. The EcoDiesel Ram with its huge battery is tough to start.
The first time we went RVing we did not disconnect and had the same problem of discharging the car battery.

Two repair items we carry are a DC air pump and a jumper battery pack. Of course we don't have a diesel. Our latest battery pack is the size of a smart phone but twice as thick. I would say we use both items more for others than ourselves.

Generally we get to the ferry yard well before it's time for the ferry, Ginny likes to watch the pre-loading and we also go into town for dinner. Since you have to tie the Propane off you can use that as a reminder to disconnect the battery.

On a recent trip to NL our battery electric drill and screw supply came in handy. A guy waiting to get on had a slow leak. it was a nail in his tire. He pulled it out asked if I had a screw and simply screwed it in and used my pump to blowup the tire. It was still holding when we got to the otherside. I had offered a tire repair kit, I always carry plugs but he was happy with the screw.

Of course just sitting in the yard even connected is OK for the Scamp. First it doesn't draw much power and second the solar panel taped to the Scamp's roof provides power during daylight.

P.S. We have never taken the ferry from Argentia in 20 crossings

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #53

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hardly saw a ting!!!

Hi: honda 03842... Thanks... I feel better already!!! We treated the overnight ferry like a cruise. Out for dinner, hot shower, then into bed to the gentle rocking of the bow against the sea. Up for breakfast... then the 3 hr. disembarking fiasco. Just memories now. One month clockwise around the island headed for the noon crossing back to Nova Scotia. Hardly saw a ting!!!
Attached Thumbnails
20190709_104941.jpg   20190710_161041.jpg  

P1050115.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #54

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: honda 03842... Thanks... I feel better already!!! We treated the overnight ferry like a cruise. Out for dinner, hot shower, then into bed to the gentle rocking of the bow against the sea. Up for breakfast... then the 3 hr. disembarking fiasco. Just memories now. One month clockwise around the island headed for the noon crossing back to Nova Scotia. Hardly saw a ting!!!
i've never disembarked in Argentia but it doesn't an hour in Port aux Basque. Just realized the battery problems slowed things down.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-20-2020, 06:57 AM   #55

Hey Norm.

Sharon and I just finished reading your suggested book "The Day the World Came To Town".

Enjoyed the read.
I testament to the character of Newfoundland citizens.

Looking forward to traveling there.

Dan
Old 09-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #56

Florida
Guides: Newfoundland, Labrador and Port Orford

I have now sent out 54 copies of the Guides. I hope everyone who asked received their copies. If some how I missed you, please send me another email.

I have been away for a while on a family trip to Maine and NH. It was a little different than FL where all restrictions have been suspended. We flew SouthWest Airlines where 1/3rd of the seats were left empty, actually a pleasant flight.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #57

Name: Elena-Sophia
Trailer: Casita SD17
California
Newfoundland Guide

Oh dear! I am not a trusted enough member to be able to send Ginny and Norm (Honda03842) a private message requesting a copy of the Guide.

Can someone suggest what I need to do?

Thank you!
Elena-sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:16 AM   #58

Florida
Email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena-sophia View Post
Oh dear! I am not a trusted enough member to be able to send Ginny and Norm (Honda03842) a private message requesting a copy of the Guide.

Can someone suggest what I need to do?

Thank you!
I sent you a PM with my email address. I find the PM to be somewhat quirky. On a few occasions I've had problems.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #59

California
Thank you! --- I seem to suddenly be able to PM, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I sent you a PM with my email address. I find the PM to be somewhat quirky. On a few occasions I've had problems.
... I could not see your email in the message you sent me.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:41 PM   #60

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena-sophia View Post
... I could not see your email in the message you sent me.
And when I tried to PM you again, I got the same "...only trusted members" message. So here is my email address: egraham848 at gmail dot com.

It is "out there" already, and I change the password regularly, so not to worry that it is spelled out here.