Newfoundland Caravan Guide. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-27-2020, 05:39 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Newfoundland Guide

I sent out the Newfoundland Guide tonight. I hope it helps you all. Let me know what else you would like to know.

If you have format issues let me know that as well I can send it in different formats as well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:01 PM   #22

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hello, hello, hello to you two!

It was wonderful to open this forum link and see your icon shining brightly once again.

I have been reading this thread with great interest. We have some friends who are planning a trip to NL next summer, so can you please send along to me the link for your guide?

Sure hope all is well with you both and that you have many more happy trips to NL in your future!!!

Thanks Norm. Hi Ginny!!!
hugs to you both
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:07 AM   #23

Florida
So good

So good to get your email. I assume you have not changed your email. If you have send me a pm with it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-28-2020, 11:38 AM   #24

Trailer: 17 ft Casita
Guide

Hi,
I had tried to send a pm to request the guide, but may not have done it correctly. My private email starts the same as my user name here. Since you said you sent them out last night, and I did not get an email yet, I assume I failed. I am going to try again, because my husband has talked of nothing else since I told him about it.
kate raslavsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #25

Florida
Labrador

A couple people have asked for information about coming to Labrador through RVers typically did not appear on the road. On one stretch in 7 hours we only saw 8 vehicles and half of them were coming towards us.

Regardless I'm writing about traveling the Labrador Highway. My plan is to send it out to all of you. We liked the Labrador road, the feeling of being alone. Most of what we saw was Ruralness. We loved it. We seek the different and Labrador was.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-29-2020, 05:31 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for emailing the NL travel guide!
Super great detail.
You answered a ton of my questions...
...like can we be with our rig on the ferry?
You answered that and so many more questions.
We love live music. Thanks to your description of the music festivals in NL, it sounds like we will be happy campers.

Please let us know if we need any special adapters for water, electric and sewer hookups at the campgrounds. I'd like to be prepared for any surprises in that regard.

Hoping to make the trip in spring 2021.
Might have to be spring 2022 if this covid situation is still limiting border crossings.

Thanks Again for all you did to document your NL travel experiences for us.

Dan
Daniel W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:02 AM   #27

Florida
Dan,
Good question about the water, electric and sewer connections. All connections were identical to what you find in the USA.

Campgrounds are not dissimilar from your campground experience, except they are generally smaller.

When we first started NL provincial parks never had water at the site but now many parks have some water sites and some electric sites. They never have sewer connections but always a dump station. I have never been to a Provincial Park without great bathrooms.

As to opening of the borders. The government has spent a lot of money on vaccines with a number of companies. There are 3 companies and 3 separate vaccines under going stage 3 trials this quarter. The government has paid to stage equipment and supplies so the vaccine could be rapidly distributed.

The existence of a vaccine(s) will be a big psychological boost. Of course the distribution will not be instant. As we travel in September we will carry Hydroxychloriquine with us just in case,leaving the sanctuary of our FL park for the Northeast of the USA.

Thanks for the question.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #28

Florida
Labrador

I just sent information on Labrador to each of the FRV members who requested it.

As I write and edit these files other helpful facts come up. For example, to get to Fogo Island you need to take a 45 minute ferry, (its actually an ice breaker and we took it once when it took over 2 hours).

On the way to Fogo it sometimes stops at Change Islands, about 15 minutes from Fogo. There is no extra ferry charge to come and go from Change. As well the ferry fee covers round trip travel. Change does have a small campground run by Peter Porterfield. He also has a museum worth visiting.

If there's anything you think of ask because I',making a list of updates.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #29

Thanks Norm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I just sent information on Labrador to each of the FRV members who requested it.

As I write and edit these files other helpful facts come up. For example, to get to Fogo Island you need to take a 45 minute ferry, (its actually an ice breaker and we took it once when it took over 2 hours).

On the way to Fogo it sometimes stops at Change Islands, about 15 minutes from Fogo. There is no extra ferry charge to come and go from Change. As well the ferry fee covers round trip travel. Change does have a small campground run by Peter Porterfield. He also has a museum worth visiting.

If there's anything you think of ask because I',making a list of updates.

Thanks for the Labrador guide Norm!

We're looking forward to tracing some of your NL and Labrador footsteps.

Save Travels,
Dan
Old 08-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #30

Florida
Two more places to stop

Here are two more out of the way places that are worth visiting.

Fleur de Lys, NL has a cliff where Native Americans cut soap stone bowls out of a cliff. The cliff is worth the visit but also liked the Museum.

Island Cove Park in La Scie, NL. This is a small RV park located on the top of a cliff overlooking the Ocean a beautiful spot with hiking trails. In addition there is a small museum in Las Scie on the way to the campground called the Outport Museum and Tea Room. This is like going to someone's home. The food was outstanding. You'll never forget the campground or tea room.

I recall that when you drive into La Scie you drive down a long step road. At the end of the road there's a little diner across the road, We have eaten there a couple of times. Soup is a big deal for us. The most common soup seems to be turkey but I will eat any soup.

When we're driving out to Baie Verte we usually stop at another former Provincial Park, Flat Water Pond (great Showers). We use it as a base to just drive about. The town just north of the campground has a nice little restaurant named Bistro on The Bay. I had a traditional Newfoundland meal, home made fries with gravy, onions, turkey (or Hamburg).

Just in case you attend the spring FRV Rally in Sebring, FL. Yesterday was our 56th anniversary and we went to a little restaurant in Arcadia, FL named Magnolia Seafood and Grill. Ginny said the best seafood in years. I was reminded of it because they had homemade fries, homemade fries are common in NL.

As i sit here in NL withdrawal I could write for hours on the special places we've been there and actually anywhere. Port Orford, OR is another place that I could write about for days.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #31

Florida
Tilt Cove

Newfoundland use to be a primary supplier of copper to the world. A huge copper mine was located i Tilt Cove, NL. This is not far from La Scie.

Tilt Cove is located on a long, downhill off route 414. Tilt Cove used to be a substantial town. Now there are only four people living there. They also have a Tilt Cove museum I like going there because there are all kinds of wondrous rocks all over the place...just look down.

We are end of the road drivers and have gone to the end of virtually every road in Baie Verte.

Route 414 has regular ore truck traffic going from a gold mine to a smelter.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #32

Florida
Drive Ups

We often stay at Notre Dame Provincial park has were heading to Twillingate. It's a nice park and like most Provincial Parks well situated just off TCH1, well off the road.

From here we drive north to Lewisport, a rather larger town for Newfoundland. The library there has wifi and you can pick it up outside. As well Lewisport as you drive from Notre Dame Provincial Park has a town Campground, we've stayed there as well. As you take 340 to Twillingate you'll see a red trailer on the left located on the bay, not too far northeast of Lewisport. THey have very good seafood. We have often split a lobster roll. They are different from NE lobster rolls but I love them.

As we approach Twillingate you come to Dildo Run Provincial Park actually located on Virgin Arm. We usually stay here and use it as our base. Just after Dildo Run on the left is a turn off to Sansome and Sons, a rather small dockside restaurant with very good seafood. I think everytime we've gone to Twillingate we've eaten here. Definitely family run.

One more is the Cozy Tea Room and Bakery in Twillingate. This is a light lunch place or just a cup of tea and a scone. It's really good and your date will love it. We always go here. There are a number of hiking tails in Twillingate as well the hospital has a big pond behind it with a nice walking trail around the pond.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #33

Name: Philip
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana
Norm,
With the campgrounds being relatively smaller, are advance reservations required during the warmer months?
Old 08-30-2020, 06:26 PM   #34

Florida
Reservations.

Outside of our Caravan where we needed 6 camp sites we only made a reservation once. The one time was when we were going to Trails, Tales and Tunes and made a reservation at a KOA, the location of a rally we were attending.

Generally we do not make reservations and have always gotten a site. Sometimes in Provincial parks we have had to take an unserviced site.

Now we travel to Newfoundland in May, June and early July when there are not as many RVs.... nor bugs.

Generally as we travel our durations are usually unknown, we're rarely on a schedule.

A second reality is you can just boondock somewhere.

It is necessary to make ferry reservations before you plan to take the trip and a few days before you plan to leave.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-31-2020, 04:17 AM   #35

Another Thank You

Hey Norm,

Thanks for the email about your restaurant posting.

We really enjoy your posts and emails. Your enthusiasm for traveling and your favorite destinations is contagious...even for other souls that love to travel.

I can tell that the more you write, the more you think of that you want to write.

We would enjoy reading about any of your Port Orford, OR experiences. That one would probably be a separate thread of its own.

My wife Sharon and I look forward to reading more of your travels as you have time to share those.

Hope to have the chance to meet you and Ginny some day after we collect some travel experiences to share with you.

Dan
Old 08-31-2020, 05:04 AM   #36

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
The man in the moon is a newfie

RIP Stompin Tom
Old 08-31-2020, 06:03 AM   #37

Florida
Newfoundland Music

One of the reasons we go to Newfoundland is May is to attend Tales, Trails and Tunes in Norris Point, a town of 700, in Gros Morne. It is a marvelous 10 days of music with events running from 8 AM to 12 PM.

On Sunday afternoon in the small town of South Branch just north of Codroy, Newfoundland. They have a community center where they have a band that play music for 3 hours. The place is filled with mostly local people from all over the area of all ages who come to dance.

I recall we were out to lunch one Saturday at our favorite local gas station/diner. A patron walked up to me out of the blue and said do you like music. I replied yes and he invited me to come to South Branch on Sunday. We did dancing and mingling with the locals. The following year we took the members of the Caravan and suggested that we not sit together so everyone could interface with Newfoundlanders.

There are Music Festivals all over Newfoundland, numerous bars that have little bands, and big professional music events. At the Tales, Trails and Tunes Festival there's a local group that typically plays at a local gas station called the Shed Band. These are locals who get together and practice in someone's shed.
Usually there are 15 or so members.

Music is strong in Newfoundland and there are many opportunities to attend fun events.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-31-2020, 11:12 AM   #38

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel W View Post
Hey Norm,

We would enjoy reading about any of your Port Orford, OR experiences. That one would probably be a separate thread of its own.

Dan
I've started to write about Port Orford, a small, relatively isolated community on the Oregon coast. I should be finished before I leave for Maine/NH

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #39

Florida
Done

I finished my writing about places we like and have sent Port Orford, Oregon to the 40+ people on the NL, Labrador and Port Orford mailing list. I wish you all safe and fun travels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #40

Name: R.
Trailer: Jayco, Skylark
Ont.
Thanks for your NFLD. postings.
My wife hails from NFLD. A 2 month island camping trip for next year is on the to do list. We too could make good use your Newfoundland travel and camping guide.
Skyron is offline   Reply With Quote