Newfoundland Caravan Guide. - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Newfoundland Caravan Guide.

I've been asked to provide information on traveling to Newfoundland. We have gone 10 times for about 2 months each time, driven virtually every road and never tire of the Province. Generally we travel alone to Newfoundland though we have brought a 6 rig group from FRV and traveled with other couples twice.

I have been requested to provide some information. and will provide some. As well we have driven across Labrador, the mainland part of Newfoundland.

The FRV caravan to Newfoundland was free. For our caravan to Newfoundland I provided a little booklet for people going on the trip to provide some of the basics. I have got the file and will edit over this week and make it available for those that send me a PM with their email address.

We generally go for 2 months for three reasons, we love it and never want to go home, the ferry is a significant cost and spending two months reduces it's cost as a part of daily expenses, and finally there's a lot to see and it's not a place to race thru.

Newfoundland is a rural province full of friendly wonderful people. Other than TCH 1, most of the roads, though there's little traffic, are not high speed roads.

I've probably read at least 50 Newfoundland books but if you want a pre-taste of Newfoundland read The Day the World Came to Town. $11.69 in Paperback.

This book is a joyous study of what Newfoundland is all about, once read, you'll never forget it.

Also Newfoundland is about the safest place you can go in North America.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks Norm and Ginny!

Do you have any online resources that you use to scope out attractions, restaurants, campgrounds, etc?

We use Campendium, TripAdvisor, and Yelp.
You might have some resources that I'm not familiar with for that region.

Thanks Again!
Dan
Daniel W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #3

Florida
I do not use the apps in Newfoundland because I've been on every road and know most of the places of interest though I expect it would be helpful in St. John's.

The best piece of information is the Travel Guide and it's map. If you ask for it they will send it. It's always been an excellent book and by far the best map.

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com...avellers-guide

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com...eas/road-trips

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com...avellers-guide

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-19-2020, 04:03 PM   #4

Thank You

Thanks for starting this thread, the advice (and links) to the travel guide and map, and the book recommendation (we are ordering it from Amazon as I write this.

Dan
Old 08-19-2020, 05:26 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
I've been wanting to go to Newfoundland for some time now
This is going to get me started, thanks
Oldballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:42 AM   #6

Florida
Email Addresses

The Newfoundland Travel Guide was originally written for a FRV caravan. It has been expanded since that trip. It is now a 45 page PDP file so it can only be sent by private email. When you request the document please include your email address.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Hi Norm and Ginny,
I just read something about PM's and new posters, and wondered if you got the PM with my e-mail address
John
Oldballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:39 PM   #8

Florida
Need email addresses for NL Guide

The following members of the site have requested the NL Guide without sending their personal email address:

Mary Ellen
Jane Greaves

I've noticed that a number of people wrote out their email addresses to prevent to over ride their spam blocker.

For example Janewarren@gmail.com was written Jane Warren At g mail dot com (pretend address I never intentionally share email addresses).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #9

Florida
A couple of you have already sent for the Newfoundland's tourist bureau's travel guide and map. I should have mentioned that the remaining Maritime Provinces provide similar information though Newfoundland's the best.

Sometimes people are hesitant to go to travel alone to strange places. I can tell you from years of travel in Newfoundland that the people are the best. I have many stories of how they go out of their way to be friendly and helpful.

One simply needs to take into account that much of Newfoundland is rural. Our first year we went to a town that had nine people, we thought that was small. The last two time we went to a town with only 4 people.

I'm half way thru the edit, I hope to have it out before we leave in mid September.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2020, 01:03 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldballer View Post
Hi Norm and Ginny,
I just read something about PM's and new posters, and wondered if you got the PM with my e-mail address
John
Yes I did.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #11

Florida
A way to get into Newfoundland.

We were talking with friends about Newfoundland and recognized that if we owned property in Newfoundland we could get in to the Province. It's a possibility.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-23-2020, 06:20 AM   #12

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We were talking with friends about Newfoundland and recognized that if we owned property in Newfoundland we could get in to the Province. It's a possibility.

That's an interesting option.
Looking forward to hearing more about this.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:03 PM   #13

Name: Brad
Trailer: Interested
Montana
Norm and Ginny,
Are you willing to post a few highlights of Newfoundland that you like and why?If I should go I would like to drive or fly and rent a car but would not have all summer to explore.I like different foods so have an interest there plus places that are a must see.Not a big fan of tourist traps.Thank you,Brad
Montana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #14

Florida
By Car to Newfoundland

In September 1995 while still working we made our first trip to Newfoundland by car thinking we'd see it all in 12 days. In our next 9 trips we spent about 2 months each trip.

We contacted the tourist bureau and got either a book of B&Bs or the Tourist's Bureaus guide to NL mentioned in an earlier Post.

Since our first visit, we have only visited NL in the spring so we can catch the icebergs.

AS a short timer you want to catch at least 3 of the UN's designated world heritage centers, Gros Morne National Park, Red Bay, Labradors Whaling Center and L'Anse aux Meadows, their Viking Site.

We tend to eat Newfoundland food but we have been to two of Canada's and NL best restaurants. The Norseman located near L'Anse Meadows.

I don't know if you'll make it to St. John's but it is loaded with Restaurants.

You'll Find more in the Guide.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-27-2020, 07:25 AM   #15

Florida
NL Guide

As of today we have 27 people who have rested the NL Guide. Many have had special requests and I'm going to try to address them all. making them permanent.

Thank you all for you interest.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
We really appreciate the info!
Old 08-27-2020, 03:57 PM   #17

Florida
Leaving Money

Carl D.

"Your heirs will inherit money and stuff when you are gone. You can only save or spend money, but you can do things with stuff, so they are going to inherit stuff!"

Our children have told us to spend everything. Of course that is difficult because the end is so unpredictable.

We never RVed with our children but they have been happy with our choice to travel for the last 20 years. They have never suggested that we should not be on the road, neither have our grand kids, and not surprisingly we have never felt that we needed to hang around them.

As it both of our kids have had RVs for a number of years. Both of them are Escapees and are members of our Escapee Park in Florida. We have never encouraged them to join our lifestyle. Our oldest child required at 50 a couple of years ago and travels as much as us and has traveled to Newfoundland with us. Our younger son has not retired yet but really wants to retire.

Somehow they observed our joy and sought it as well, as you might say they inherited part of us and we're still alive. That result is truly neat.

It's not what we attempted to ever sell them on doing. They simply saw the possibility. Ginny and I had great pre-RV lives. Ginny tells me that by 27 she had everything she wanted in life, a husband that loved her, a family to love and a home. Our RV life has been even better, though now being 78, I often feel living and traveling in our RV is like being 16 again.

I do want that kind of happiness for our kids.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-27-2020, 04:31 PM   #18

Name: Brad
Trailer: Interested
Montana
Norm and Ginny

Thank you for your time to answer my questions.I wonder how would you compare Nova Scotia to Newfoundland?Why have you chose Newfoundland as a place to frequent?You also mention Newfoundland food.Could you explain?As a whole Newfoundland seems rather expensive to me.Do you find that to be the case?
Montana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:46 PM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Nice family story Norm. We all have different ideas regarding life and sounds like your wanderlust genes were passed along!
Old 08-27-2020, 05:37 PM   #20

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
Nice family story Norm. We all have different ideas regarding life and sounds like your wanderlust genes were passed along!
True Carl we are all different and that is a wonder.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16